TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Six Flags Great America Dark Knight Media Day

I would definately say that the subway cars kick major booty. Out of all the parks not operated by Disney or Universal, I'd say that theme for this ride is heavy, which I think does a great job enhancing the ride experience. I give it a thumbs up for looking nice, but I haven't ridden it, so there is only so much I can say.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow! That looks great!

How does the loading/unloading work? Are they continously moving? or do 4 cars come in, stop, load/unload, then pull out?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's running only 8 cars, so I figure the station has 4 block sections. Got it.

Did you notice, was it on the Flashpass system?

Yes it is - the little "Flash Pass" logo is underneath the ride description on this year's map.

They really tied things up in the past month! When I was there for opening day, they had half the ride still unassembled in the parking lot. I'm always amazed at how quickly roller coasters go up.

Oh wow! That looks great!

How does the loading/unloading work? Are they continously moving? or do 4 cars come in, stop, load/unload, then pull out?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's running only 8 cars, so I figure the station has 4 block sections. Got it.

The press kit said 10 cars. They only had four on yesterday....I think. Maybe just three. That way they could get the car with the camera gear cycled for us quicker.

Honestly, as a Batman fan, I could of watched the pre-show video all day. It's top notch. If they add more theming to the end of the ride, I think it'll be more enjoyable. Right now, there's literally nothing for the last half to 1/3 of the ride. It loses it's focus.

Now that this coaster's done, how's the new dive coaster coming along for 2009, SFGAm?

I don't believe anything about that. We don't have a Thomas Town, and they said they are supposed to put 2 in a year. They wanted to give it to us the year Wiggle's came in, but said that was to much in one year. I also heard a rumor about 2 wooden coasters. Someone thinks one will go in SFOT, and where's the other one going? Magic Mountain said they are getting a new ride, and Screamscape believes that it could SFNE's Dark Knight. I have no idea, but I don't think SF is willing to put up the dough for a Dive Machine.

The Dive Machine rumor started awhile ago when we got Hurricane Harbor. Maybe, the park did want to put one in because than it soon changed hands with the park. Another reason why this rumor could have been perpetuated is for the fact that the park needs all the B&M coasters they make. Surely, the park doesn't have the floorless, or the sitdown, but what do people want? They want the newest coaster that a company makes, and that would be the Dive Machine.

Now, you have Splash Water Falls, and Deja Vu gone, and people think automatically that they are going to put the splashdown part where Splash Water Falls is. B&M contract with Busch is going to run out supposedly, and who likes a lot of B&Ms? Six Flags does of course, so it's just a rumor, and that's what I will believe. If the other people in charge, I would totally believe it, but this guy I say no to.

The only reason I see for putting this coaster in is the fact that they might be taking away something huge, and thus you should give people something in return. That's the only reason I see Six Flags putting this ride in. That would be saying Hurricane Harbor is not included with admission anymore, and look here; you have a big dive machine coaster so you don't get mad at us.

I want to say wow. No bad comments about this ride compared to the Great Adventure one even though they are the same layout.

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to go this year. Sadly I havent bought my season pass yet. ( I know I'm a bad coaster enthusiast.)

Anyway, just to clarify Viva was right. There were no queues at Theater Royale. The doors opened and you were in. And, I think the GM is John Curty, but I could be wrong. I used to work there about 10 years ago and John was working there when I was there.

You're correct, John Curty is the GM. Very nice guy to talk to.

I was at Dark Knight media day, and I have to say, I love the ride. It is something Great America has needed for a long time, a dark ride. And it is dark! I was skeptical about using Theatre Royale for this attraction, but it has been done so well. For those familiar with the theatre, the queues take up about 1/2 of the original seating area. There is a wall built up, probably even with where the middle cross aisle was. My friend was on a backstage hard-hat tour of the site on ACE day, May 10, and he said the rest of the theatre, including the stage, is intact behind the wall, and that the area is being used for storage. So if someday, the Batman thing runs its course, the theatre could be restored. But, kudos to the park for bringing this fine attraction to us!

Rode the ride today after its public opening. I was around 30th in line for the coaster directly following the park opening. There Was a HUGE race to the entrance with sups along the middle trying to get people to slow down but I don't think anyone really did. I left and came back after the opening, and had to wait in the roughly 1hr 40 min wait. The full que seems like you line up just to join another line. First you enter the covered que, under the facade and wind your way through that before you enter the theater were approx. Half of the original space is used for LONG the snaking que. The room is dimly lit and has posters along all the walls as you see in the pictures and has SF TV overhead(non-functional today throughout the park). Then about 20-30 ppl(guesstimating) are lead into the pre-show room where you are shown the video and you're lead into another hallway/que(and actually enter the box) the Supervisor, Aaron, was doing an awesome job of grouping people into 4's and getting them on the train. The trains are continuously moving and the ride was crawling with security to ensure NO loose articles are brought into the station which would cause downtime.

A few notes, this ride is a great ride as long as you remember it is a Mack, and it did deliver a few surprises. I was disappointed that half the ride really isn't themed. Don't go in expecting something thrilling. Also, the theater que will randomly burst into applause at times (I think it was the paint fumes?), Try it if your in a group, just start a loud slow clap the entire theater will kick in(or you will just look weird?). The pre-show video wasn't very interesting it seemed like most people really weren't paying attention.

I rode TDK yesterday, too. I liked it yet felt let down, too. It's by far the best theming SFI has ever done, but like so many of the projects they do, it seemed half finished. (Raging Bull cough.)

On the Dive Machine rumors for 6FGAm, those were compounded when Park President Hank Salemmi addressed A.C.E. at NoCoaster: He said to observe that DejaVu and Splashwater Fall's footprints are side-by-side, and to see something connect them in 2009.

(I can name drop, too.)

I concur with everyone else: this is definitely a welcome departure to the Flags' normal idea of theming and accentuation. It looks great! I have to say one thing, rhough, since Six Flagawam is my co-home park with Compounce. Given the extent of the theming and the ambience the ride has, it would have been nice at the Old New Riverside, but I think it would have looked odd. Their version of Gotham is decidedly more WB than Marvel, and let's face it: Flagawam ain't big. I'm sure since when it comes to rides and things I have no clue what Im talking about, this might raise hackles, but that's how I feel at least. Thanks for the photos!

hey..by the way...the pre-show entertainment..Am I the only one that was reminded of the old Sega CD/CD-i games when they saw that? Looked sort of DVD Command and Conquer-ish or..damn..was it Night Trap?

Opinions from groups of people coming out of the ride (These people were together.) were doesn't this ride belong at Disney World (They said that it wasn't that thrilling. They said not me.), that was lame, and the other group of people said that was kind of cool. These are other people's opinions, and not mine.

My opinions are the theming is sadistic. There IS enough theming. I think it will scare children. I think the teens think it's not a thrilling ride. Who is this ride for? I guess it's for me than, and the people that said it's kind of cool. I really like the non-spinning mice, and I don't care about the theming being a little scary. I wish it braked more though because I enjoy hard-hitting brakes like Cheetah Chase. I think that part is fun.

One time I waited an hour and 8 minutes, another time I waited 25 minutes, and the other times were under 10 minutes. It was packed when people at the park were there.

So, I do think this ride is great. I have rides as great, good, and bad, and I say great, but yet I think all the other non-spinning mice are great. I guess if you don't like the other non-spinning mice I don't think you will enjoy this ride.

IMO, Dark Knight wasn't that bad of a ride if it had more theming during the ride. The theme before you enter the station to board was well beyond what I thought was going to be on the ride. It was disappointing to have just a little bit of theming while the ride was in motion.

Also, going on Media Day, a friend and I waited almost 2 hours for the ride?! Of course with it being media day, some of that wait is expected but it was a little excessive for a wild mouse type ride?

It could be better but I've got the feeling that they skimped out on the ride at the last minute because of possible cost overruns...any thoughts all?

IMO, Dark Knight wasn't that bad of a ride if it had more theming during the ride. The theme before you enter the station to board was well beyond what I thought was going to be on the ride. It was disappointing to have just a little bit of theming while the ride was in motion.

Also, going on Media Day, a friend and I waited almost 2 hours for the ride?! Of course with it being media day, some of that wait is expected but it was a little excessive for a wild mouse type ride?

It could be better but I've got the feeling that they skimped out on the ride at the last minute because of possible cost overruns...any thoughts all?

Surely you weren't at SFGAm's Media Day. We rode twice in less than twenty minutes. We actually let the few people that were there, go ahead of us so I could take pictures.

I wholeheartedly agree on the themeing. If it went all the way through the ride, it would make it a more "complete" experience. After the first half, it just stops. At least it's something they can add to in the future.

I rode SFGAM's yesterday, and I was impressed. The theming is good for Six Flags, but like has been said before, the end is a disappointment. The ride itself is really fun, and it is a great family coaster. Yesterday the ride itself broke down a few times, and there were audio problems with the pre-show and queue line televisions.

One bad thing is is that vandals have already attacked the first part of the queue(before the main section). There is already graffiti on the walls(not part of the theming), and people have chipped large sections of paint off.

I will say that this ride is going to be extremely popular as both of my waits today were over an hour(1.5 and 2). Now the ride broke down both times, but even once the bugs are worked out, this coaster is going to have long lines. The queue house is air conditioned really well, so on days like yesterday where it is hot and humid, the line will probably be longer than usual.

I went to SFGA yesterday and got to ride The Dark Knight- here's my opinion.

Because of the preshow, the line itself starts moving for awhile and stops suddenly every 6-8 minutes.

Once the line moves into the former Theatre Royale, guests are moved thru queues that slant downward. Mark my words, this will be a problem in the future once that first guest falls because the floors are NOT level as you descend to the preshow.

The line itself being enclosed was a great relief- as yesterday when I visited the temp had dropped over 30 degrees from Memorial Day when it was humid and almost 80 outside. Yesterday's temp. was almost 50 but with a strong wind blowing all day. In other words, it was a late fall day and not an almost-summer day.

Once I got in the Pre-show, it was entertaining, However- I was the first guest of this particular wave of riders allowed into the pre-show, when I stopped where the attendant had told me to stop, (right before opposite doors on the other side) I had people asking me why I had stopped there. It wasn't until a minute or two later when the door automatically shut on the far end until they figured it out. Also, I did not understand why there wasn't any queuing inside the preshow. It would not have affected the amount of people who were let inside at any time, AND would have prevented the "Hey, I was in Front Of You" comments I heard when the assembled mass attempted to leave after the Pre-Show.

The Pre-show itself was kinda fun, however

once that finished after all the lights, cameras action, our group emerged into a tunnel, (boring) where we caught up to the people who had exited the pre-show before us probably 8 minutes before.

THUD.

I thought I was being critical not stepping immediately onto the ride, but at least half a dozen comments from people behind me said the same thing.

Even if I had been the last person in the Pre-show and had to follow everyone out to the loading track, I would have expected that the first person out of the pre-show (me, in this instance) would have found themselves boarding right away without a ten minute delay.

The ride itself is quite peppy. In fact, too much so. Basically a Mad Mouse that tries to move so fast that all the scenery is missed and the themeing is irrelevant. I caught glimpses of everything but what I saw, who knows, I know there was stuff there and I was looking, but I couldn't tell you how it related to the Pre-show or to what the ride was trying to portray.

The girl who sat in the rear seat just behind me was terrified to go on it because she didn't like coasters, but at the end, she said the exact same thing I was thinking . . ."That was it???"

I'll go back on the ride if I happen to be with someone who wants to ride it and has never ridden it before. I'll even go on again if I can get on it within 15 min.

I will never ride by myself if the line is over 15 min maximum.

I miss Deja Vu, and I can't wait til the (hopeful) Dive Machine next year.

Final Opinion Dark Knight=More Hoopla Than Thrill