TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Zonga Relocation

Seems like Zonga aka Thriller has been saved from scrap. A park in Mexico, Isla San Marcos Temático Parque, has purchased it and plans to open it as the Tsunami for 2008.

I'll try to keep an eye on it for you guys.

EDIT: Found a pic on their website.

tsunami.jpg.a5b8f19a7383bc442f2c5574a30e8c35.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It ended up having a lot of consecutive little issues that didn't lend themselves to regular operation, not to mention it was never intended to be a permanent installation for the park. Zonga was SBNO for a year or so at the very front entrance, and SFDK decided to move on without the coaster in it's ride line up. I actually sort of enjoyed Zonga in the very front row, but for most people the restraints and cramped trains weren't a huge hit.

I had heard late year that Thiller/Zonga would live to see another day out of the country. Glad to see the park is actually going to go through with the reconstruction of Tsunami. I hope it ends up having better luck in Mexico then it did in Vallejo.

I know a ride op or two who used to run this ride at SFDK post here at TPR, so maybe they can chime with a bit more info if possible.

-Sean

You can find some older photos from 2003 when Zonga was introduced below:

http://www.sm2designs.com/gallery/thumbnails-33-page-1.html

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like it is a permanent installation.

From RCDB.

Isla San Marcos is part of the La Feria de San Marcos -- a national fair held in Aguascalientes, Mexico. While the fair does not operate year round, the park operates from Thursday to Sunday and for the full week during summer vacations.

So sounds like the part where the coaster is, is in the amusement park that is open mostly year round.

I wonder if they un-did the modifications that Six Flags made to reduce the forces of the ride.

From the photos it would seem the park didn't undo any of the mods Zonga received when it came to California. Besides the new paint on the trains, it looks pretty much identical to the last time I saw it operate in Vallejo.

I was also a fan of Zonga in the front seat. As long as you got your head out pulled out of the restraints as much as possible, it was actually a pretty enjoyable/unique ride.

-Sean

Ooops. Tsunami ended up being a late addition to RCDB. Ride's all done!

8.jpg.c80789c020e74a74e1983ab0923aadbd.jpg

7.jpg.9e410e64ac0faa1de7ebb3a902254b21.jpg

If you look closely, it looks like it hasn't got much care since being dismantled

6.jpg.b6049b681de4f41c74611ca575c2bfe5.jpg

5.jpg.22852f5cf75cd7922cf502aab65b47ad.jpg

Loads of g's

4.jpg.14be39c901eeebdeb6a21b093348dc8b.jpg

3.jpg.107f2766103c010099eb3572cd2fd31a.jpg

I always thought that this drop looked funky

2.jpg.77277ab84e24a3d9fd4e0ff09d447eb2.jpg

1.jpg.6f1340aeb5b5fe264caa81b8b6a8a6bd.jpg

Back in business

It ended up having a lot of consecutive little issues that didn't lend themselves to regular operation, not to mention it was never intended to be a permanent installation for the park. Zonga was SBNO for a year or so at the very front entrance, and SFDK decided to move on without the coaster in it's ride line up. I actually sort of enjoyed Zonga in the very front row, but for most people the restraints and cramped trains weren't a huge hit.

It was down a lot due to of slippage on the tire-driven lift. But honestly, all you had to do was stand at the exit and listen to the complaints about roughness to understand why, even when it was operating, it was usually empty.

And yes, I actually sort of enjoyed it too. Sort of.

^ The sad part about it is that when I rode it at Astroworld there seemed to be absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. I have no idea why they felt it was necessary to replace the accordion restraints with OTSR's or modify the track.

Sure it was intense, but I didn't find it any more or less intense than a Batman close or Goliath's helix.

--Robb

I remember riding this at SFDK (Marine World at the time). I had mixed feelings about it. Personally, the tire driven lift hill and the weird curved drop were the best parts of the ride. Most of us who rode it that day left with a slight head ache. Nothing a good ride on Medusa didn't cure though.

^ The sad part about it is that when I rode it at Astroworld there seemed to be absolutely NOTHING wrong with it. I have no idea why they felt it was necessary to replace the accordion restraints with OTSR's or modify the track.

Sure it was intense, but I didn't find it any more or less intense than a Batman close or Goliath's helix.

--Robb

I agree, Robb. The accordions were tolerable in TX. As with the WEM Mindbender, we endured them with no problem in Germany several years before. SF's unholy butchering of the first drop and the addition of those diabolical OTSRs were completely unnecessary. Most American parks (SF especially ... ) are simply unqualified to operate a ride of Thriller's caliber as it was designed by the mfg. Period.

I had hoped the Mexican operator might rectify the terrible SF mistake, but I see this is not the case. The last time I saw Thriller in person was when it was scattered around a Vallejo parking lot ... see pics.

At the very least the ride IS operating ...

-S

100_0734.JPG.18f4aeec21f04f55634a2e59f92c507b.JPG

How we feel about Thriller being tossed aside like an unwanted four-looping German stepchild. ;(

100_0736.JPG.20c0d2603b58ddf6cdbf7b123a8ce87e.JPG

Train interrupted. Love the yellow rope.

100_0733.JPG.54fad22cc1fe9d226b14a1910abfe60e.JPG

Scattered memories ...