TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Did you know the Meteor at Little Amerricka used to reside in a completely private park in my hometown of Lemont, IL? (I never got the credit because you had to literally rent the park in order to ride the coaster!)

Yay, Lemont!

OK, not really. I just have family there.

^ Hmmm, I don't know of any swamps in the area, and I've lived up here all my life. Sounds like a load of bull harkey to me.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know that on July 4th, 1975, Six Flags Over Mid-America hosted the first live concert from Dolenz, Jones, Boyce, and Hart?

Dolenz and Jones were of course two of the four Monkees, and Boyce and Hart were the co-writers of some of their biggest hits, such as "(Theme From) The Monkees" and "Last Train to Clarksville" and "(I'm Not) You're Stepping Stone".

It was the first Monkees-related tour and show since the group broke up in the late sixties.

And my little 6-year old butt was there with my family! ! (And I still love all the great music produced under the Monkees moniker!)

Did you know Xcelerator at Knott's Beery Farm was originally supposed to helix around neighboring ride Supreme Scream, but at the last minute had Intamin revise the blueprints because of an accident at SFMM on Goliath?

I have a hard time believing that, since I saw the blueprints in Jack Falfas' office in August of 2001 (the day they were tearing out the last remnants of Wind Jammer) and it looks the same as the blueprints did then.

JJ

Did you know that the coaster that eventually became the defunct High Roller on top of the Stratosphere was initially going to feature a 410 ft drop? Plans were scrapped due to neighborhood resistance.

Did you know that Montezooma's Revenge at KBF refers to a kind of diarrhea? Way to go!

Did you know that there are two masts in the background over the French Quarter of DL? It gives the illusion of the port in the distance. Little things like that make the park great.

Did you know that Steve Martin got his start selling maps at DL as a kid, and then worked in the Magic shop, then moved on to working in the theatre at KBF?

Did you know that Epcot center was going to be a planned utopian community until Walt died, and the execs said, "Aw the heck with utopia, let's make a crappy park!" I'm quoting verbatim, here.

Did you know DCA was going to be Wescot Center, and then the execs said, "The heck with that crappy idea, here's another crappy idea." Again, this is all word for word.

^That is, an unconfirmed rumor?

Did you know that Das Katapault, the scrambler in BGE's Oktoberfest section, used to be indoors where the Castle O'Sullivan show is now? Way back when, Killearney used to be "Hastings," and The Catapault was a scrambler in the dark, which featured a light show with images of the Battle of Hastings projected on the wall as riders spun (and possibly hurled).

Did you know?

Our orientation class told some of the history of the park, including how Rip roarin rapids was the first of its kind (and perhaps the white lightnin fact...? I believe this is also where I had heard about the cyclone tid-bit.)

Rip Roarin Rapids was not the first River Rapids ride. The first River Rapids Ride was at Astroworld, Thunder River. Thunder River was built by Intamin. It was created and designed (and thought of) by General Manager of Astroworld, Bill Crandell. It was a prototype and it opened in 1980. Thunder River opened in 1980. Rip Roarin Rapids opened in 1983. This certainly makes Thunder River the first ever River Rapids Ride.

-Tatum

Did you know...Opryland's Grizzly River Rampage and I think Great Adventure's Intamin rapids ride's opened in 1982. Both are the 12-seater and feature the same kind of station set up. Maybe the Carowinds version was the first 6 or 9 seater or some other type of 'first' - first with a rotating platform?? Marketing people can dream up all kinds of 'firsts' when they try.

1980 - AstroWorld "Thunder River" - First ever River Rapids Ride built by Intamin

1981 - Six Flags Great Adventure "Roaring Rapids" built by Intamin

1981 - Six Flags Magic Mountain "Roaring Rapids" built by Intamin

1981 - Opryland "Grizzly River Rampage" built by Intamin

1983 - Carowinds "Rip Roaring Rapids" disastrously built in-house by KECO later rebuilt by Intamin

I don't think so. Thunder Express was a mirror image of the mine ride at Six Flags St. Louis. Their mine ride goes out of the station and to the right. So that means Thunder Express would have to turn left out of the station, as Tennessee Tornado does today. It also makes sense because the station and storage building floor is slanted downwards to let gravity pull it out of the station. This would be a pain to reverse.

So Tennessee Tornado's station was Thunder Express's station, and Thunder Express's storage building is Tennessee Tornado's storage building.

I don't think so. Thunder Express was a mirror image of the mine ride at Six Flags St. Louis. Their mine ride goes out of the station and to the right. So that means Thunder Express would have to turn left out of the station, as Tennessee Tornado does today. It also makes sense because the station and storage building floor is slanted downwards to let gravity pull it out of the station. This would be a pain to reverse.

So Tennessee Tornado's station was Thunder Express's station, and Thunder Express's storage building is Tennessee Tornado's storage building.

You're right about the TT stations. Exactly the same as they were for Thunder Express. But I'm pretty sure Thunder Express, when it was at Six Flags St. Louis was not a 'mirror image' of the other one, but just a second mine coaster. So they just had two mine trains, but not two that mirrored one another. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

Did you know that in 1990, during a live performance, by Milli Vanilli, recorded by MTV at Lake Compounce in Bristol, Connecticut, the recording of the song "Girl You Know It's True" jammed and began to skip, repeating the partial line "Girl, you know it's-" over and over. This lead to their overall demise.

EDIT: Edited to be more descriptive.

You're right about the TT stations. Exactly the same as they were for Thunder Express. But I'm pretty sure Thunder Express, when it was at Six Flags St. Louis was not a 'mirror image' of the other one, but just a second mine coaster. So they just had two mine trains, but not two that mirrored one another. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

You are correct. Both tracks were different; they didn't mirror each other;

Did you know that on Test Track, in EPCOT, in the hot room, if you look to the left, you can see two eggs cooking on aluminum foil.

Also on Test Track, in the cold room, if you look to the left again, you can see Popsicles freezing.

Did you know that, in Islands of Adventure, in Doom Alley ( the alley you walk through to get to the main entrance of Doctor Doom's Fear Fall), if you look to the left, you can see a Venom (villain in the Spider Man series) bust.

Did you know that, in Disney's Hollywood Studios, to the left of the main entrance to the Indiana Jones' show, there is a rope that runs into a hole in the ground. And to the left of that rope there is a sign that says "Do not pull rope", and if you do, a voice from inside the hole will say something.