TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Did you know that there are three things at Canada's Wonderland using the name "Backlot"? The Backlot Stunt Coaster, the Backlot Cafe restaurant, and "the backlot cafe" - the employee lunchroom.

Actually, it's only 2 things.

The employee cafeteria was changed to "Oscars" when South Side Grille was changed to Backlot Cafe...so that was 2006, I believe. The employee cafeteria has also gone another name change since then, I believe it's something like Cornerstone.

Haha, we have Oscars too!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carowinds featured the first river rapids ride

I have to disagree with that. Astroworld had the first River Rapids ride. It was created and designed by the former GM Bill Crandell. TR was built by INTAMIN. TR was a prototype.

Did you know........

The Texas Cyclone was the first Cyclone copy ever.

During the consruction of the Texas Cyclone part of the ride's wooden sturcture collapsed.

The Astrowheel was the first Double Ferris wheel ever.

XLR8 was the first successful Arrow Suspened coaster in the world.

Astroworld featured the only TOGO Pipline coaster in America, Ultratwister.

-Tatum "That's enough for now"

Did you know that T2 and Chang were painted and prepared to become B:TR and Riddler's Revenge in 1999, but the plans fell through?

Did you know the Hosier Hurricane is actually a hybrid wooden coaster?!?! (Almost impossible to tell until you see it up close...)

"Did you know that Rhino Rally was the worlds first 3d coaster" (InsanityFreak)

Interesting...I never thought Rhino Rally was anything like a coaster. Since I've ridden it, can I count it as a credit?

Eric

did you know... two of the main reasons for the rhino rally water portion being broken are -

1) the water contains chemicals that keep the track and rovers from rusting. now keeping in mind the ride has proxies under the water that monitar the location of each train. not only was it a bad idea to put something elecrtical under the water but the chemicals eat away at the proxies and causes elecrtical shut downs.

2) the 3d-ish nature of rhino rally has the third running rail within the trough. the purpose of this (cam pipe, as its called) is to turn the pontoon back and forth to simulate the feeling of a real run away pontoon.

(yes, rhino rally was built by vekoma. it is a complete track circuit that includes two drops and a lift hill!)

Did you know the Whizzer was not torn down due to the fatal accident, while it was a factor in the closing of the ride the stress fractures found during the investigation are the real factor behind it's demise

Did you also know the opening year of Invertigo was plagued with rollbacks due to a reported virus in the rides operating system

Did you know that Zoomerang at Alabama Adventure was originally in Brisbane Australia, then moved to Sydney Australia than Alabama, that's one well travelled coaster.

Did you know one of the proposed designs for Superman Escape at Warner Bros Movieworld Australia was to be more a Top Thrill Dragster style coaster that they wanted to be taller than the 377' Tower of Terror at rival park Dreamworld.

Did you know that only 43 people went through the gates at Six Flags New England on a weekday in late August 2005, and I went the day after, damn.

DID YOU KNOW...

Lagoon is Utah's only ThemePark?

Lagoon's colossus is different from all the schwarzkopf doppel loopers, as it has an extra curve in the helix?

Lagoon's wicked-A roller coaster that launches you straight up a 110 ft tower and straight down, through an airtime hill, a 127-degree-over banked turn, a heartline roll, and a bunch of half pipe curves was NOT built by intamin, it was built by zierer? (Look at the track!)

Lagoon's spider was the first spinning coaster in north america?

Lagoon's samurai is slower than other mondial topscans because of the unusually cold weather, it can't operate faster unless it was indoors...It's still an AMAZING ride, however.

Did you know...

The first ride to open at Kings Dominion was the Scobby Doo roller coaster. It opened in 1974 a few years before the rest of the park opened. Part of a preview center of the then-new park.

Denver's original Elitch Gardens was featured in an ad for 7-UP back in the 1950s. The commercial was on You Tube for awhile but in 2006 was taken down "..at the request..of DR. PEPPER" !!!!!! I should know..I uploaded that video

Canada's Wonderland

Did you know that it would take 154,567,128 bottles of water to fill Splash Works?

Did you know that the Pizza Pizza location on International Street in Canada's Wonderland sells more pizzas than ANY OTHER Pizza Pizza location in Ontario, even though the park is only open for roughly 130 days!?

Did you know that Canada's Wonderland is the largest employer of youth in all of Canada?

Did you know that nearly 200 000 funnel cakes are consumed at Canada's Wonderland per season?

Did you know that the park's parking lot is over 3 million square feet with 10,300 parking spaces? It would be able to hold over 50 cruise ships.

Did you know that Canada's Wonderland employes over 4000 seasonal staff?

Did you know that there is over 3.3 million paving stones in the park?

Did you know........

Walt Disney was looking at Property in New Orleans to build Walt Disney World. (I would have loved to see how that turned out).

The HUSS Prototype of Rainbow is at Dixie Landin'. Before DL, it was at the New Orleans World's Fair, along with Tidal Wave (Astroworld).

-Tatum

Did you know:

That "Crazy Mouse" opened at Dinosaur Beach in NJ, in June of 1997?

That "Exterminator" opened at Kennywood in April of 1999?

That "Crazy Mouse" opened at Myrtle Beach Grand Prix in June of 1999?

That the 2 "Primeval Whirls" opened at Animal Kingdom in March of 2002?

That "Spider" didn't open until April of 2003?

Did you know?

Carowinds featured the first river rapids ride, the second launching coaster in the U.S. The second B&M standup, the tallest coaster in the world (thunder road at the time), the first roller coaster to have 4 inversions, and the first second generation drop tower from intamin.

Actually, White Lightnin' was one of six launched rides that opened in 1977 (King Kobra at KD, Tidal Wave at CGA, Screamin' Demon at KI, Loop Coaster at SFNE, Zoomerang at Circus World). Vortex was the third B&M stand-up (preceded by Iron Wolf and CGA's Vortex). Thunder Road is 17 feet shorter than Screamin' Eagle, which also opened in 1976. And Carolina Cyclone was one of four rides opening in 1980 with four inversions (Demon at SFGAm and CGA, Orient Express at WoF).

Did you know that Carowinds used pictures of CGA's Vortex in its 1992 guide?

Strange, I remember seeing news articles about people recalling riding TR when it was the tallest and fastest. I sort of assumed that they were correct.

I heard White Lightnin was the second launching coaster from higher ups in the park.

Out orientation class told some of the history of the park, including how Rip roarin rapids was the first of its kind (and perhaps the white lightnin fact...? I believe this is also where I had heard about the cyclone tid-bit.)

And I read in a book that vortex was the second B&M standup.

Did you know?

Our orientation class told some of the history of the park, including how Rip roarin rapids was the first of its kind (and perhaps the white lightnin fact...? I believe this is also where I had heard about the cyclone tid-bit.)

Rip Roarin Rapids was not the first River Rapids ride. The first River Rapids Ride was at Astroworld, Thunder River. Thunder River was built by Intamin. It was created and designed (and thought of) by General Manager of Astroworld, Bill Crandell. It was a prototype and it opened in 1980. Thunder River opened in 1980. Rip Roarin Rapids opened in 1983. This certainly makes Thunder River the first ever River Rapids Ride.

-Tatum

Did you know:

That "Crazy Mouse" opened at Dinosaur Beach in NJ, in June of 1997?

That "Exterminator" opened at Kennywood in April of 1999?

That "Crazy Mouse" opened at Myrtle Beach Grand Prix in June of 1999?

That the 2 "Primeval Whirls" opened at Animal Kingdom in March of 2002?

That "Spider" didn't open until April of 2003?

Oh. LOL, I guess I know why people don't trust wikipedia, now!