TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock Park - Max RPM (backstage media tour)

We just returned from the two-day Media Tour of Myrtle Beach's Hard Rock Park. While the place is impressive, the ride we were most intrigued by – Premier's Maximum RPM - was not yet operational. It "should" be ready to roll by 02JUN, but as of today (08MAY) they have not cycled a single vehicle.

During our tour, we were taken into the station for a peek at at the ride vehicles and the track section that transports the six-seat cars onto the Ferris wheel lift mechanism. For all the other techno geeks out there, I'm positing a few pics of this complicated machine. Numerous tire-driven boosters move the cars from the station onto the wheel where they'll be locked into place for the trip up to the mainline/first drop. 16 motors are required to operate the wheel. It'll be a fascinating operation once it comes on-line.

At the top of the page is a video of the wheel in motion (sans cars).

Enjoy!

-S

H12.jpg.d2ceb0b62a532b518a9ef4a6480f737e.jpg

H11.jpg.501c4fe02df72958787a0fed3c7ed6c4.jpg

H10.jpg.cee40b65897707d69d0fbad3f1d25195.jpg

H9.jpg.0eee73e7deac3fb5e940786977816f5e.jpg

H8.jpg.7f50c3903170df2287cd135e333850b1.jpg

Transfer track / maint. area

H7.jpg.f94b240015ab3c22011dd8911e1bbd52.jpg

Here's Donny Osmond and his crew working on the vehicle's on-board audio system.

H6.jpg.d20fcf372d1bfab5aa9511be2c3aef37.jpg

Can you say ... "COMPLICATED" ?

h5.jpg.99b6de7a5a0c5d1d01c6931ac81f11bc.jpg

Note vid cameras and pin locks to make sure the track sections are positioned correctly.

h4.jpg.8c0d925daea0f90a495ffe9bf9078cc3.jpg

h3.jpg.386c9d59e830e74d365ae7bdd9b8ead6.jpg

h2.jpg.505975709c7b4e71c41fbe229f4810eb.jpg

Station track leading to wheel lift

h1.jpg.b1568dc982a28d18d6f2907d192a9bf3.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they give any explanation as to WHY it's not cycling or working?

We already put out trip out there off once, we can't reschedule again so they better get this thing working soon!

E-

We were told that they're now working on the "audio aspect" of the ride (everything has a speaker ), and they plan to have it running by 02JUN. That was it.

-S

I was there for the backstage media tour as well. After seeing the station and wheel in person, I have to wonder about the ride's capacity. At least if the line is moving slow, guests will be 'entertained' by the karaoke in the queue. It could be a great way to turn a weakness into a strength or at least minimize it. People will be more likely to remember that guy that murdered a Duran Duran song than how long they waited in line.

Though they take forever to get working, you have to admit that premier introduces some of the most "intriguing" coasters to the world. And Max RPM helps prove that point...

AWESOME trip report. The ONLY thing I wanted to see @ HRP. But why do I have this itch that this is going to be a flop, technology-wise? These mechanisms look so complicated, and the park is already throwing excuses.

Are we looking at this generation's WindJammer?

Well it will be nice to see this ride finally get off the ground. The mechanics of the lift section seem much more complicated than I thought they would look. They give off a very "experimental" vibe to it (which I guess in a way, it is). It's a new very complicated type of technology and I'm getting the feeling it will have much downtime (hopefully I'm wrong). Even if it does prove to be a coaster plagued with problems, it takes these "firsts" to get the technology right, for bigger and better coasters in the future that utilize it.

Did they give any explanation as to WHY it's not cycling or working?

We already put out trip out there off once, we can't reschedule again so they better get this thing working soon!

I kinda figured from my day at the sound check whenever I asked someone about it everyone was like ! Some said it was having problems and some gave the "its a prototype blah blah" answer. My thing is being a protyle isnt an excuse. Its just more reason to start construction earlier so you can work out the kinks. I personally think the park got on a high horse and "knew" it was gonna work perfectly and now in a delima. The park gives no other reason but to think this. they are acting like the ride doesnt exist. And personally I think for today being the official "opening" day for the park they should want atleast all their attractions up and running. Heck Life int he fast lane open w/o audio but eventually that night it came on.

I just dont see myself paying the entire 50.00 when the park isnt fully operational. It would be different if the park had like 20 rides and only one isnt operating but its only like 11 rides/coasters in the entire park and it seems to be kinda a big deal to make sure everything is up and running. Ok enough of my babble. I still think the park is great but should keep the public in the loop so they can know when to plan their vacations.

Well the other thing I don't get is everyone praising Premier!??!

I'm sorry, but this seems VERY similar to the technology that Mack has been using just fine on it's Mice, Spinners, and Water Coasters for years now!

^ I completely agree.

I really, really like Premier and everything in terms of the ride quality, however, it seems like so many of their rides are just mechanical pieces of garbage. So many have issues, and they are just built like garbage.

One of the rules of engineering is to not over complicate things; simpler is always better. Maximum RPM's ferris wheel lift is in serious violation of this rule.

I can see this weird lift hill becoming a serious maintenance nightmare for HRP in the near future.

Let's hope it isn't another IOA HITSSTR....built for opening and we waited how many years looking at the track for it to open? Granted this looks a lot more promising, but it is a lot more expirimental.

And anyone that wants their karaoke fix, if you are ever in Ft Lauderdale, I run 2 shows, believe me, I'll make you forget some long lines with bad singer stories...lol

Well the other thing I don't get is everyone praising Premier!??!

I'm sorry, but this seems VERY similar to the technology that Mack has been using just fine on it's Mice, Spinners, and Water Coasters for years now!

Don't forget the mummy rides and the launchers that have the dual sliding load station that have moving track pieces as well.