TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Not So Hidden Mickeys

From Wired

A special-effects entrepreneur from Alabama has come up with a way to fill the sky with foamy clouds as big as 4 feet across and shaped like corporate logos - Flogos, as he calls them.

Francisco Guerra, who's also a former magician, developed a machine that produces tiny bubbles filled with air and a little helium, forms the foam into shapes and pumps them into the sky.

The Walt Disney Co. will use one of the machines next month to send clouds shaped like Mickey Mouse heads into the air at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla., Guerra said.

I think this actually sounds pretty cool and it seems like a much more environmentally friendly way to do something like the balloon launches. Click on the link at the top for a photo of an example of these "flogos"

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One question to say it, how to keep the clouds in the same spot?

You control that they rise by the inclusion of helium, but besides that, there is no way to control them. Where they go is determined by the wind. It basically is the same exact thing that happens with a balloon release.

That's a really wierd idea but I think I kind of like it!

Just imagine, a hot sunny day at Disney World, clear blue sky with a few clouds - but they're all shaped like Mickey Mouse! That would really add to the Magic, I can just imagine how awestruck a lot of younger park guest would be - I think it's a really good idea actually!

All they need to do now is find a way to make the Sun Mickey Mouse shaped and they'll be on to a winner!

Matt

EDIT: There's a video on www.flogos.net - having seen that I don't think it's much different from watching balloons really but still pretty cool!

EDIT: There's a video on www.flogos.net - having seen that I don't think it's much different from watching balloons really but still pretty cool!

I think most people here are misunderstanding this like you did. Currently the maximum cloud size is about 4 feet across. Not big puffy clouds, but technically clouds nonetheless.

^ Yeah, I was thinking more of a smoke-like effect maybe, like an actual cloud, but as I said I still think it looks pretty cool, and better for the environment than balloons so it's all good in my opinion!

I couldn't get the Wired article to load so that video was the first time I saw what it actually was!

Matt

Interesting. They would have to be launched on a clear day otherwise they disappear in front of real clouds.

Also, unless they make the Mickey heads really big, it is hard to see them at any considerable distance.

This really is a neat idea. As far as how to control it with wind as a factor, I would believe that most likly they would only do it on calm days so as to let the cloud have it's shape for longer periods of time.

Actually it says on their website that a little wind is good because it spreads them out over a larger distance (and therefore a larger market).

As cool as it is, I do think it's a little - no, very over-the-top. I mean, clouds? Come on, aren't the constant cleanliness, spectacular theming, and the international fame enough? Clouds? I'm both completely baffled and utterly impressed.

As cool as it is, I do think it's a little - no, very over-the-top. I mean, clouds?

Of course, but that's Disney. Pushing the boat out and doing something a bit different is a good thing isn't it?