TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain X2 Campout!

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if any of the proceeds are going to a charity? The other park hosted event (SFGADv) is giving a portion of the proceeds to the Boys and Girls Club. Is SFMM doing the same?

So I was wondering. Who else is going? On page 1 I only count 6 people on the roll call list.

I have updated the roll call.

Is there anyone else going who is not on the list?

FYI - I talked to Jay and Neal about the campout last night. Sounds like the goal here is to have a smaller, more 'exclusive' group for this event.

Whoever said "If there are only 20 of us, that's a LOT of rides on X2 in that hour" sounds like he is absolutely correct!

--Robb

FYI - I talked to Jay and Neal about the campout last night. Sounds like the goal here is to have a smaller, more 'exclusive' group for this event.

Eh, I guess, but exclusivity is a confusing move for them to make. They ought to want as many people as they can possibly cram through the gates to see all the many improvements SFMM has made, including this awesome "new" coaster. Not sure what goal exclusivity accomplishes...

--Robb

Because of this http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/events/X2Campout.aspx , I sincerely doubt that Jay and Neal want this to be an event for an "exclusive" group. They are advertising it for the world to see, but they want it to be more private? IMO, This makes no sense whatsoever.

----Antonio

^It does make sense. First off, what percentage of park goers actually look at the website...secondly $50 is a high price point for most people, third if you call Group Sales they'll tell you they've reserved 200 spots and have PLENTY available, so to me it sounds like it is pretty exclusive!

I have updated the roll call.

--Robb

^Thanks Robb!!

It does make sense. First off, what percentage of park goers actually look at the website...secondly $50 is a high price point for most people, third if you call Group Sales they'll tell you they've reserved 200 spots and have PLENTY available, so to me it sounds like it is pretty exclusive!

I agree as well. Also to add, when you think that only 200 spots have been reserved, compared that to how many will be at X2 when the park opens at 10 this is a great deal!!

And for the park to be doing this in the first place is a really great thing!

No matter what I still appreciate the chance to be a part of this.

John

I think that the $50 is definitely worth it; while I was surprised that they charged for the event, unlike with Tatsu, I paid it with no hesitation and got my ticket from Selena in group sales over the phone (she was very nice, by the way; the last few times I have called the park everyone has been extremely nice and helpful) the day after this was announced. I can only imagine with the ride opening to the General Public shortly after the event that the lines will be crazy, and so far, X2 is the new for 2008 attraction at any of the So Cal parks that I am most looking forward to this year.

I am looking forward to seeing if it offers a smoother ride, but even if it is just running how it was just before it closed last year, that was pretty darn good (although if it is as smooth as Scream, all the better!). I think the new trains will likely improve the smoothness, but I was one of those who never really saw X as being all that rough unless you were outside and towards the back of the train. I'm just glad they have invested so much in fixing it up.

Slightly different subject-is this also a media event, or does anyone know? I am guessing they would have the media in on the 24th, as I have heard nothing else of a media day for X2.

^^^ I see your point Elissa. However, I guess I am looking at this in a different way. $50.00 is a high price, yes, but $60.00 regular park admission is higher. Millions of people pay that each year. If they can afford that, they can afford this. And, of course, they would take the opportunity to get all-day admission PLUS ERT for $10.00 less.

But, if there are that many spots left, this sure will be an exclusive event. The Tatsu Camp-out was an amazing event that will not be forgotten. It was a huge success, and I was hoping the X2 event would be similar.

Just my two cents.

----Antonio

^^ You're treating X2 like it was a new coaster, expecting a Media Day & so forth when it very much is not. X2 is X w/ new paint, new trains, and maybe a fire effect or two. That's about it, plus hopefully some tweaks in procedure to increase capacity & reliability. $50 is pretty steep for something like that IMHO, but feel free to enjoy the ERT.

^ The same could be said for SheiKra going floorless, the Subs adding Nemo, Tower of Terror going random, Back to the Future getting Simpsonized, and tons of other rides that have been "plussed" or "made over." Under neath the new paint and FX, yes, it is pretty much the same ride, but it's enough of an improvement to warrant re-branding.

Why shouldn't there be a media day, special events, and promotions surrounding it? X2 is getting a *lot* more than SheiKra did and there was a huge media day for that, "countdown to floorless" bilboards, tons of promotions, etc, etc.

I don't think Six Flags Magic Mountain with X2 is doing anything different than what the competition has been doing for years.

--Robb "Isn't Simpsons just Back to the Future with a new movie and paint job?" Alvey

Robb come on, are you really saying X is to X2 as BTTF is to Simpsons ride??

Floorless Shiekra I'll grant you, and I thought that was pretty overblown as well. Not that floorless vertical isn't cool, but, at least it was a change in the ride experience. Is there going to be a change in X's ride experience besides a new commitment to stuff like capacity & maintenance that should have already been done the first go-around, and maybe some fire? Because if not, the billboards should say "X2: We're finally trying to get it right, AND WE'LL HAVE FIRE! OMG^2!"

Oh wait, they've already got that last part on billboards.

^ It's all what you make of it. If you don't feel that what is being added to X is much of a difference to YOU, then it's not. That's not to say that someone else may find quite a bit of value in the new trains and special FX.

None of us really know exactly what is being added to the ride so it's hard to say for sure. We've seen pictures of fire. We've seen them testing audio at Scream. They have mentioned something about "fog." But do we know for sure what is being added? Not really.

If they can pull off a successful fire and/or audio element to the ride, I would say they certainly are "plussing" it.

And there have been bigger campaigns done for rides that have added less.

--Robb "I don't think you're giving them a fair chance." Alvey

^^^ I see your point Elissa. However, I guess I am looking at this in a different way. $50.00 is a high price, yes, but $60.00 regular park admission is higher.

$50 today is a "deal" for a big name concert act. Many people pay much more than that to be crushed in a hot arena for what usually turns out to be a 1 1/2 hour show. I know it's apples and oranges but it does point out that it's all relative.

Bought my ticket this morning. So you can add me to the roll call.

I'll be driving over from Phoenix on Friday morning and hitting the park late afternoon. If I buy an extreme pass online, how do I deal with the parking the first time? Do they reimburse me? Or do i show my print out at the parking booth?

^^$60 park admission gets you the entire year. So $50 for the campout is not a great deal for everyone. Especially for someone who has already payed $60 (or $125) for their pass.

^They will either reimburse you or let you in with the print out. Probably depends on the employee, but one way or the other, you will not be paying for parking on your first visit.

^^$60 park admission gets you the entire year. $50 for the campout is not a great deal for everyone. Especially for someone who has already payed $60 (or $125) for their pass.

If you look at my original post on the last page, I am referring to the individuals who visit the park for the day. I have payed $125.00 for my pass, therefore, it isn't a great deal for me. However, if someone is going for the day, they will look at this as a spectacular promotion.

----Antoinio