TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo Trip Report: Bring a historic race track back

In March it was announced that the historic Terre Haute Action Track would have new promoters, but lets go back a few years. The previous the promoter ran the track into the ground. Spend as little money as possible to make the most buck doesn't always work. In 2006, attendance at the historic 1/2 mile was low because the promoter didn't run the track worth a darn. In 2007, there was only one race. The track had a big mud puddle in the last turn and was down to two lanes of racing.

Which brings us to 2008. The year started out with news that a offer was made on the property the track and fairgrounds stand on. A public outcry made and the grounds were not sold. Not too long later, DHK promotions won the rights to promote the track. They announced a 6 race schedule, and then began the work up to the race. We had a little over two months to get the track ready. Work which included taking down unsafe structures, painting, and most importantly.....Getting the track back to what it should be.

Needless to say, everything that needed to be done right away for the first race got done. So onto some pictures of the track before they started working on it.

The front stretch when we first started working.

Turn 1, water again.

Back of the grandstands.

Months went by and the front stretch guard rails were removed so a better barrier could go in.

Better drainage was put in place on the turns.

Work progressed and a few weeks later this is what the track began looking like.

New fencing

Track prep.

Finally, all the months of work was ready to be shown off. And it was done in grand style. Kicked off the racing season at the Terre Haute Action Track with the running of the Clabber Girl Don Smith Classic. Because I worked on the track, I was given media access for the race. Here is my photos that I have uploaded (I have over 300).

Thanks for reading.

BTW, DHK promotions is a group of men by the names of Davey Hamilton, Mike King, Brian Dorsett and Chris Novitne.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty sad the Action Track fell to such despair. I had no idea, though I kind of took a hint since they haven't had the World of Outlaws for a while, if I'm not mistaken. I haven't actually been to the track in probably 7 or 8 years.

Glad to see the place is heading in a positive direction though. Nice work, man. That's pretty awesome that Davey Hamilton and Brian Dorsett are involved, too.