TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Dutch Wonderland 5/4/08

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took this picture in Lancaster last year. Are they Mennonites or Amish?

^^The only way to know for certain would be to ask one of them.

However, being that it was a Lancaster (where Amich are clustered) and a horse and buggy is being used (in lieu of a car) there is a strong likelihood that they are Amish.

I believe those people are Amish. Not too long ago, taking pictures of the Amish would have been strictly frowned upon. (Useless factoid of knowledge: there are actually 7 different Amish and Mennonite "orders" with varying degrees of strictness.)

More useful bit of knowledge, you could buy a combo ticket good for one day each at Dutch Wonderland and Hersheypark. Check out the park's website for pricing and info.

I believe those people are Amish. Not too long ago, taking pictures of the Amish would have been strictly frowned upon. (Useless factoid of knowledge: there are actually 7 different Amish and Mennonite "orders" with varying degrees of strictness.)

More useful bit of knowledge, you could buy a combo ticket good for one day each at Dutch Wonderland and Hersheypark. Check out the park's website for pricing and info.

So is it still frowned upon? If not what changed. I really wasn't aware of this, but since I come from the west coast this was my first and only Amish experience. Thanks for the useless factoids!

Yes they are Amish. And yes, they don't like to have their pictures taken. They believe it takes a part of their soul.

I'm sorry!

Seriously as much as this has probably been a thread hijack and I won't continue this, I have learned a few things and want to thank everyone. I will be more thoughtful the next time I am in Amish country.

I think it's more a case of the Amish wanting to be left alone. They're pretty much trying to go about their daily business and some people treat them like they're characters in an amusement park. If people are discrete and tasteful about it, they probably don't mind. But some clods really get in their faces about it, treating them like they're mentally challenged, asking them to pose, etc.

Just remember, this is their life and their customs. They're not playing dress up.

I agree that asking them to pose would be a bit much. The above picture was taken from my car with a zoom lens. But I do think they tend to bring it upon themselves. With theme parks like Dutch Wonderland and the many shows and buggy rides that are offered in and around Lancaster, they have sort of made their lifestyle an attraction. One thing is for sure, they seem to enjoy the tourist dollars. With tourism comes jerks who want to put their camera in your face and ask you to pose.

• 1 month later...

I always thought Dutch Wonderland was the best cute little park ever. They somehow managed to make a Chance Yo-Yo pretty.

And then a random cow popped out at us. WTF?! Well, it wasn't as scary as the Alton Towers log flume.

QUACK

Thanks for the photos! It's really cool to see Dutch Wonderland in photos, especially since I will be a freshman at Franklin & Marshall in the fall. I will definitely have check it out (right after I make my way on over to Herhsey, of course)!