TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CP or IOA - Which do you prefer?

Which do you like better, IOA or Cedar Point?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better, IOA or Cedar Point?

• Islands of Adventure
    • Cedar Point

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are sooo different...

CP has the thrills , but IOA has the theme and family atmosphere..

I would say that CP beats IOA in terms of cool rides, because IOA never adds anything new... well.. barely ever anways...

Id say CP for now, just because Ive never been to IOA

IOA is probably the 2nd nicest park I've been to, and that's 2nd to BGW so that's saying a lot!!!

I loved the layout, loved the fact that it's complely flat and the coasters (adult) that they do have are awesome.

CP however has many more coasters, so I picked CP.

IOA is a much nicer layout and park though IMO.

CP - Overrated park with not much to do but coasters.... And even most of them are not that good..

IOA - Small park with al lof 15 rides... Who the hell wants to pay $50 for 15 rides!

I have been to both parks many many times and just dont see whats so great about them....

SFGam, PKD, SDC all better parks then both IOA and CP.....

CP - Overrated park with not much to do but coasters.... And even most of them are not that good..

IOA - Small park with al lof 15 rides... Who the hell wants to pay $50 for 15 rides!

I have been to both parks many many times and just dont see whats so great about them....

SFGam, PKD, SDC all better parks then both IOA and CP.....

You're kidding, right? PKD??? A better park than IOA? I was just there for the first time, and granted, Volcano was down for the duration, but...Scooby Doo's Haunted House better than Spiderman? Hypersonic better than the Hulk? FOF over DD? White Water Canyon vs. Bluto? Dude I don't think so. IOA may have only 15 rides, but many of them are world-class and/or uniquely themed. PKD has some decent wood, a nicely themed Top Spin, and a killer drop tower (clearly better than Dr. Doom), but aside from that, there's not much there that aproaches "special," unless you're ga-ga over a fake Eiffel Tower and a bunch of old movie titles engraved in cement.

I'm definitely going to go with Cedar Point, but I agree its hard to compare the two. Maybe comparing IoA to Magic Kingdom. Meh.

I just went to IoA for the first time on Friday and it was AMAZING. I had so much fun! I'm working on a trip report for you kidds. I heart Hulk, Dragons, and Spiderman.

You're kidding, right? PKD??? A better park than IOA? I was just there for the first time, and granted, Volcano was down for the duration, but...Scooby Doo's Haunted House better than Spiderman? Hypersonic better than the Hulk? FOF over DD? White Water Canyon vs. Bluto? Dude I don't think so. IOA may have only 15 rides, but many of them are world-class and/or uniquely themed. PKD has some decent wood, a nicely themed Top Spin, and a killer drop tower (clearly better than Dr. Doom), but aside from that, there's not much there that aproaches "special," unless you're ga-ga over a fake Eiffel Tower and a bunch of old movie titles engraved in cement.

First off.. I hated HyperSonic as its a "POS" but as parks alone I have a better time at PKD then I do at IOA.

All I liked a IOA was dragons...

Hulk just didnt seem to great.. Oh Boy! 5 to 40 (35MPH LAUNCH!!!11!!!) in 5 secs... YAY!!!!!

Doom is right up with HWs S&S tower for tamest tower ever....

As for spiderman.. As I never watched superhero stuff I didnt get it.. to me it was "oh.. thats a blue guy... oh no.. water... oh a yellow girl oh no.. .fire"

IOA does have nice water rides.... I guess

But for its price I dont think its worth it.

Personally, I don't think that Cedar Point or Islands of Adventure is overratted. Both Parks bring in greater numbers of people than that of a buch of parks I could name (PKIsland, PKDominion, BGWilliamsburgh, SFGreat Adventure, SFAmerica, SFNew England...ect) the list goes on.. Both parks are very well kept (as are others) and both produce top notch food imo. CP has kick ass coasters, a kick ass water park & indoor water park, kick ass thrill rides, great food, comfy hotels and a wonderful park atmosphere..what more could you want out of a park besides a little themeing here and there. Cp may lack on themeing, but picks up the slack with it's wonderful array of rides. As for IOA...All of their coasters are awesome..(yeah even the flying unicorn)..wonderful themeing, again clean, nice atmosphere, great food and the park is in Florida for pete sake, more costly efficent than Walt Disney World. What More Can You Want?...

Canobie Fan said:

"Hulk just didnt seem to great.. Oh Boy! 5 to 40 (35MPH LAUNCH!!!11!!!) in 5 secs... YAY!!!!! "

The launch actually is in 2seconds which flips you over into a dive over the water. The coaster does reach up to 67mph...not sure if that's on the first dive. It always seems to me the fastest part of the ride is when you are coming down from the 360 degree loop through the mist tunnel. But I am not really sure. I also think the Dragons are my favorite coasters at IOA (more intense), but The Hulk is also great. I think IOA is great park IMO.

First off.. I hated HyperSonic as its a "POS" but as parks alone I have a better time at PKD then I do at IOA.

All I liked a IOA was dragons...

Hulk just didnt seem to great.. Oh Boy! 5 to 40 (35MPH LAUNCH!!!11!!!) in 5 secs... YAY!!!!!

Doom is right up with HWs S&S tower for tamest tower ever....

As for spiderman.. As I never watched superhero stuff I didnt get it.. to me it was "oh.. thats a blue guy... oh no.. water... oh a yellow girl oh no.. .fire"

IOA does have nice water rides.... I guess

But for its price I dont think its worth it.

Well, it's your right to prefer PKD, of course. And prices at IOA (and all the Florida price-match parks) are a blatant rip, rising considerably faster than the rate of inflation. Sure, IOA is far from perfect: Doom is a yawner, Poseidon's Whatever a good idea gone bad, and the place is sorely in need of a new attraction. But Hulk, regardless of its stats, is one of my favorite coasters overall - I prefer the swoopier B&Ms, and Hulk's pacing, theming, and visuals are all first-rate. Judging from what you say about Spidey, you're probaby unimpressed with IOA's unmatched variety of immersive theming. But to argue that PKD is "better" than IOA merely because it has more rides for the money is like arguing that a smallish portion of duck confit at a fine gourmet restaurant isn't as "good" as a big bucket of the Colonel's chicken.

Did I just see someone compare IOA to a Six Flags? I'm dumbfounded right now.

I'll take a world class theme park experience over oodles of unthemed coasters and flat rides anyday. That goes for every park IOA has been compared to, including CP. I'm a firm believer that amusement parks should be compared to amusement parks, and theme parks should be compared to theme parks. Giving IOA poor grades because it only has 3 coasters simply makes no sense whatsoever. How many does the Magic Kingdom have? Do those same people despise that park? I also think it should be pointed out that you don't really need to understand the specifics of a ride's theming to enjoy the ride. That's just an excuse not to like it. How many people have seen the movie Splash Mountain is based on? Exactly. I've never watched a single Spider-Man cartoon or read the comics, and I enjoy the ride immensely. If it bothers you that much, simply read up on the characters at Marvel's site. It's not that hard.

• 8 months later...

Well these are 2 of my favorite parks but I have to go with CP cause I could spend a week there and not be bored....where as I could maybe spend about 2 days at IOA and be satisfied. Coasters have much more Re-rideability appeal than stuff like Spiderman or Jurrasic park.

JEFF

I don't want to turn this into a PKD vs. IOA topic, but come on it's not even close. Paramount has turned Kings Dominion into a borderline joke of a park, and IOA is one of the best parks in the world. I try and support PKD, but it gets harder and harder each season.

Anyway, enough with that rant. Take it for what it's worth, it's only my opinion.

I pick IOA, since it's my favorite park.

I enjoyed IOA for its theming ever since the year it opened. It has 3 (or 2) great coasters (depending on how you count) and some really good restaurants and other cool rides.

Cedar Point is known for their coasters, and while they are good, I usually don't make a return trip to CP until they build another new coaster. They're very efficient though, and the coasters are pretty decent, though usually not much different from any other megapark.

If not for IOAs themes, I don't think I'd care for it all that much, it'd be like just having Cedar Point with 2 Raptors and 1 Mantis with sit down trains. But the theming immerses you into it, and you notice different stuff every time you visit that you didn't pick up on the last visit. How many times can you go to CP and notice something new? "Hey, that trash can wasn't there last month! It used to be a tree!"

However, on my last 2 visits to IOA, I was very turned off with the operations, policies, and restaurant services. I considered the first one a fluke, but after the same stuff after the second, I was disgusted enough that I didn't renew my pass (something I've had since the park opened) and will probably wait until IOA adds another attraction (not McMonkey) before I even think about returning to the park. TPR could have a meet up there with Robb wearing a speedo and covered in caramel, and Elissa wearing a thong and covered in McDonalds burgers, and I still wouldn't be that interested (though the photo update would be spectacular!)

I still think both parks are among the best, definitely top 20, but I'd vote for Knoebels, Blackpool, Europa, WDW, Silver Dollar City, Disneyland, Dollywood, Disneyland Paris, and Kennywood before them right now.

However, on my last 2 visits to IOA, I was very turned off with the operations, policies, and restaurant services. I considered the first one a fluke, but after the same stuff after the second, I was disgusted enough that I didn't renew my pass .

Haven't been to IAO in a year and a half, so I'm curious. What, specifically, has gone downhill? Their employees were never as imposingly friendly as WDW CMs, but their ride ops and restaurants were always, in my experience, pretty first-rate.

I voted for IOA for several reasons.

Even though IOA has 15 rides, they are quite fun and well themed. CP is quite overrated, too many coasters and not enough flats and dark rides. I'd take DD over Raptor any day. CP is not a balanced park IMO, even in their coasters! Where are the woodies? What they have for woodies are quite medicore.