TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Suicide at Disneyland Hotel

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I mean what if families that are on vacation witnessed it. It probably didn't just ruin their vacations, but if a child witnessed it, they will remember it for live. Unfortunately in Vegas you hear about suicide all the time.

John

I think committing suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do.

Tragic news. Even if you don't know someone personally, the concept of death still hits close to home. My heart goes out to his family, and anyone who witnessed it. I've seen people die, both by car accidents, and I know first hand it is very disturbing to see someone die.

I think committing suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do.

I'm sure there are a few people who commit suicide out of spite (the kind of people the hate the world), but I would think that most of the time the people - in their own minds - think they're doing the world a favor. Like, "The world would be a better place if I weren't in it," or "No one would miss me if I were gone," sort of thing. They usually don't realize how many people truly love them. Their minds have a warped perception of themselves and the feelings of the people around them, likely due to some sort of psychological disorder.

^ While very sad, it's not likely they'll remove balconies over this.

They've been talking about getting rid of them for quite some time actually. I think the current rumor is that they are going to start fresh with the hotel and remove the existing towers, so it's probably a mute point.

I'm sure there are a few people who commit suicide out of spite (the kind of people the hate the world), but I would think that most of the time the people - in their own minds - think they're doing the world a favor. Like, "The world would be a better place if I weren't in it," or "No one would miss me if I were gone," sort of thing. They usually don't realize how many people truly love them. Their minds have a warped perception of themselves and the feelings of the people around them, likely due to some sort of psychological disorder.

I totally agree.

I knew a girl who committed suicide when I was in our last year of Gymnasium (German equivalent to a high school). I was never really good friends with her because we were a part of different groups, but on the outside, she seemed so happy and enthusiastic and her suicide came as a complete shock to our whole class. In her last note to her family and to her friends, she simply said that she felt like no one cared about her at all.

People think that no one seems to care about them, and they think that by taking their life people will. But they don't realize how long those loved ones will have to suffer. A death changes a lot of things and some people just can't handle it. Imagine the guilt the parents must have felt after what had happened... the guilt of feeling like they didn't do enough, that they might in fact be responsible for their own daughters death.

Of course people who are suicidal should seek psychiatric help, and I understand that not everyone is able to do it but I still stick by what I said when I said that suicide is a selfish thing to do.

I don't understand the connection to pulling balconies just cause someone jumped?!

Cruise ships have people jump and fall off on a somewhat regular basis (at least 5-10 a year) and they are all trying to add MORE Balconies!

TheRapidsNerd wrote:

^ While very sad, it's not likely they'll remove balconies over this.

They've been talking about getting rid of them for quite some time actually. I think the current rumor is that they are going to start fresh with the hotel and remove the existing towers, so it's probably a mute point.

Ah, you taught me something new today. Was not aware of that.

I don't understand the connection to pulling balconies just cause someone jumped?!

Maybe nixing the balconies was part of some refurbishing verses reacting to the jumper?

^^ Elissa, from what I understand, they wanted to pull the balconies because they weren't actual balconies as much as glass doors that opened up with a banister railing there. It's not like the balcony patio type area that the other Disney hotels have. The DL Hotel is old, and the balcony configuration wasn't something they wanted to keep in its current form.

^^ You can bet in one way or another the media will flip this into faulting Disney...

I just heard the news and it is very sad to think about what would draw a person to do such a think, but also a traumatic experience for the eyewitnesses at the resort on a busy Friday.

I'm surprised to see people joking about this tragedy, I know we're supposed to "have a sense of humor" in the forums but damn...

My thoughts go out to the victim's family.

That's sad news. My condolences to friends and family.

Relating to the balconies at the DL hotel: We had a room in the Bonita tower in 03' or 04'. It was at the very end of the hall on the end of the building nearest the dancing water fountain. Those end rooms actually had a reasonable size balcony that you could step out on. It had a small table and 2 chairs. It was actually pretty nice.

Bucket, I'm sure the details of your classmates suicide are far more complex than her doubting that anyone cared about her. Suicide does not arise out of the insecurities, sadness, and confusion that is experienced by every person. The kind of depressive behavior and thoughts that lead to suicide are generally the result of major psychiatric disorders, which can occur for a number of reasons. Committing suicide is not a selfish act because when in a psychiatric episode that ends in suicide, one cannot rationally and logically think about the world, their relationships with their friends and family, and the consequences of committing suicide. Taking ones life is not an act of selfishness, but the unfortunate result of undiagnosed or improperly treated psychiatric illness.

Taking ones life is not an act of selfishness, but the unfortunate result of undiagnosed or improperly treated psychiatric illness.

Yes, perhaps you are right. I guess the reason why I think that is because I saw how her actions pretty much destroyed her parents and her friends, both emotionally and physically. Obviously, there was something going on inside her and it's so unfortunate that she did not get the help that she needed. I've never been depressed before so I don't know the mental state that a person goes through, but if only she knew (or the guy at the Disney hotel knew) that there are ALWAYS people in this world that care about them, maybe they wouldn't have done it.

but imagine the air time

I know this a sad topic but that comment is my exact sense of humor!

I agree, I mean what if families that are on vacation witnessed it. It probably didn't just ruin their vacations, but if a child witnessed it, they will remember it for live.

That really does suck! I've seen someone die, I'm not sure if it was a suicide or not but he walked out onto the freeway and got beheaded and we had to drive past the headless body on the ground right after. Two days later on the same freeway I had a major anxiety attack (though I didn't know what it was at the time). That incident completely messed me up. I kept and continue to keep having anxiety attacks. For a while I couldn't drive on the freeway because I'd end up freaking out. Now I have a ways of calming myself down and noticing when an attack is coming on. But due to seeing that guy do that I'm pretty much F'd for life.

Yes, perhaps you are right. I guess the reason why I think that is because I saw how her actions pretty much destroyed her parents and her friends, both emotionally and physically. Obviously, there was something going on inside her and it's so unfortunate that she did not get the help that she needed. I've never been depressed before so I don't know the mental state that a person goes through, but if only she knew (or the guy at the Disney hotel knew) that there are ALWAYS people in this world that care about them, maybe they wouldn't have done it.

The past 2 years I've dealt with 2 suicides, one was family and he was only 20. He wasn't a depressed person at all, usually all smiles, normal teen angst. The other was almost a year later to the day and he worked at Disneyland as a ticket taker. He we knew had some issues with depression due to his home life but he wasn't really alone. He had moved out of his house and he had a lot of close friends. Both guys knew that they were loved and had a lot of close friends. It unfortunately wasn't enough. I know one of them could be attributed to mental illness but the other still leaves me confused and feeling like it was done for stupid selfish reasons. There's a really good movie that I saw called The Bridge, its a documentary that talks to suicide survivors of people that have jumped off the Golden Gate. It was very interesting hearing what the witnesses,families and friends have to say.

but imagine the air time

I know this a sad topic but that comment is my exact sense of humor!

I agree, I mean what if families that are on vacation witnessed it. It probably didn't just ruin their vacations, but if a child witnessed it, they will remember it for live.

That really does suck! I've seen someone die, I'm not sure if it was a suicide or not but he walked out onto the freeway and got beheaded and we had to drive past the headless body on the ground right after. Two days later on the same freeway I had a major anxiety attack (though I didn't know what it was at the time). That incident completely messed me up. I kept and continue to keep having anxiety attacks. For a while I couldn't drive on the freeway because I'd end up freaking out. Now I have a ways of calming myself down and noticing when an attack is coming on. But due to seeing that guy do that I'm pretty much F'd for life.

The past 2 years I've dealt with 2 suicides, one was family and he was only 20. He wasn't a depressed person at all, usually all smiles, normal teen angst. The other was almost a year later to the day and he worked at Disneyland as a ticket taker. He we knew had some issues with depression due to his home life but he wasn't really alone. He had moved out of his house and he had a lot of close friends. Both guys knew that they were loved and had a lot of close friends. It unfortunately wasn't enough. I know one of them could be attributed to mental illness but the other still leaves me confused and feeling like it was done for stupid selfish reasons. There's a really good movie that I saw called The Bridge, its a documentary that talks to suicide survivors of people that have jumped off the Golden Gate. It was very interesting hearing what the witnesses, families and friends have to say.

That's horrible! I can't even imagine having to drive past a freshly decapitated body. I have seen people die, but not firsthand. I've mostly seen videos of car crashes (I guess i am a bit of a masochist when it comes to that kind of stuff) and in a few of them I have seen even limbs and such fly from the vehicle. It's really disturbing stuff!

I feel so sorry for him and his family.. truly sad..

As someone that's been down that road many times before, I can say that at the time suicide seems like the only true answer to ones problems. I've been close to dying a few times and somehow am still here. Love my life so far, got a great job, money is good etc.. But sometimes even having friends, money, love etc.. isn't enough.

I just fear for my self and others that have been down that path and close to the end. Life's hard, it really is. But there are better ways to deal with issues then suicide.