TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Members Working At Parks

I'm just about to get started with year five working for Cedar Fair. The original plan was to transfer back down to Cedar Point as a Public Relations Intern, but things didn't work out for a wide variety of reasons, so I decided to stay up at Michigan's Adventure.

I'm just curious if you found out what the salary would be for a public relations or a quality assurance person? While I enjoy my current job as a customer quality assurance engineer, I have always wondered what theme parks would pay for someone that deals with public relations and works on projects that would positively impact the overall customer experience. I would imagine it would vary per chain, but I have just always wondered/dreamed about it.

First off, the PR department there is just one guy and then two college interns. From what I gathered, the interns are payed minimum wage at 40 hours per week. No clue what full-time staff makes, as it's been really hard to even find full-time marketing jobs at parks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning to go apply at Knott's tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get a job but I don't know yet. I've never had a job before, and I want to work at a theme park, but if not Knott's the only other option nearby would probably be Wild Rivers.

From now (actually January) until May 20th I will be in EPCOT, either at The Seas With Nemo and Friends/Turtle Talk or outside for Flower and Garden Festival. If you're going to EPCOT pm so I can tell you where I'm working so you can stalk me!

2011 - Mean Streak Asst. Team Leader. I start May 7th . 4th year both in rides and at the park

2010 - Mean Streak / Corkscrew

2009 - Maverick

2008 - Thunder Canyon/ CC Mine ride/ Skyhawk

I most likely will be back next summer but will be moving down to Tampa once I graduate college in Jan 2013 and hopefully get a job in Bush's Planning and Design dept.

2008-2010: CGA - Invertigo as a ride op.

2011: CGA - Demon Supervisor.

I have to ask, how is leadership set up at CGA and the former Paramount parks? For example, at both of the Cedar Fair parks I've worked at, it's primarily:

-Crew (Ride Hosts, Sweeps, Admissions, etc)

-Team Leads

-Zone Supervisors

-Department Manager

From what I've heard about the former Paramount Parks, they're setup so each location has a "Supervisor" (what we call Team Leads), but other than that I'm completely unfamiliar with how the rest is setup. I'd really like to hear how other parks go about this.

2008-2010: CGA - Invertigo as a ride op.

2011: CGA - Demon Supervisor.

I have to ask, how is leadership set up at CGA and the former Paramount parks? For example, at both of the Cedar Fair parks I've worked at, it's primarily:

-Crew (Ride Hosts, Sweeps, Admissions, etc)

-Team Leads

-Zone Supervisors

-Department Manager

From what I've heard about the former Paramount Parks, they're setup so each location has a "Supervisor" (what we call Team Leads), but other than that I'm completely unfamiliar with how the rest is setup. I'd really like to hear how other parks go about this.

At CGA, and probably the former Paramount Parks as well, it goes:

-Associate

-Trainer/Lead (They are the same thing, just Rides is the only department to use the term Trainer)

-Supervisor/Head Supervisor (In charge of a specific ride area, such as Demon/Whitewater Falls/Beserker, Grizzly/Tiki Twirl, etc. Usually no more than 8 positions)

-Area Supervisor/Head Area Supervisor (I guess that would be a zone supervisor? They are in charge of all the rides in their zone, which the park is split up into 3 of them, plus the water park as the fourth)

-Operation Supervisors (In charge of the entire ride operations of the park)

So, then, if a "Supervisor" is in charge of an area of rides, that's like what we have here for "Team Lead"s, as our "Team Lead"s are in charge of anywhere up to six different rides and up to 9 positions at any given time. What would the roles of a "Lead/Trainer" be? It sounds pretty much like your "Supervisors" and "Lead/Trainer"s are rolled up into just our "Team Lead"s.

So, then, if a "Supervisor" is in charge of an area of rides, that's like what we have here for "Team Lead"s, as our "Team Lead"s are in charge of anywhere up to six different rides and up to 9 positions at any given time. What would the roles of a "Lead/Trainer" be? It sounds pretty much like your "Supervisors" and "Lead/Trainer"s are rolled up into just our "Team Lead"s.

Theoretically, a Trainer/Lead is supposed to focus on training and certifying new associates. They can also give out lunches and breaks if permitted by their supervisor. So yeah, essentially the Trainer and Supervisor positions are just separate instead of combined like a Team Lead, but a lot of times they do have similar job requirements, the only difference is the uniform color and pay rate.

Theoretically, a Trainer/Lead is supposed to focus on training and certifying new associates. They can also give out lunches and breaks if permitted by their supervisor. So yeah, essentially the Trainer and Supervisor positions are just separate instead of combined like a Team Lead, but a lot of times they do have similar job requirements, the only difference is the uniform color and pay rate.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it is. Except Trainers generally deal with a lot less paperwork. Last year when I was trainer at Invertigo, I didn't have nearly as much paperwork as I do now as a Supervisor at Demon. That clipboard does get a bit hectic.