TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2008 NBA Playoffs: What to look out for in the west

But these Kobe-Jordan comparisons need to stop. This is a guy that was booed by his home crowd on opening night this year.

Well, first off, Kobe getting booed opening night by his home crowd is completely irrelevant to the argument of whether or not he is better than MJ. I would have probably booed too if the best player in the league was on my team and was asking to be traded.

Secondly, why do they need to stop? He is one of the most athletic guys to ever play the game. Jordan made some spectacular plays, but Kobe's athleticism allows him to pull of plays that completely dumbfound me. On top of that, Kobe's stats are staggering and he's in his prime. At age 29, Bryant has already achieved 67% of MJ's point total, 71% of his assist total, and 69% of his rebound total.

I grew up watching Jordan during the Bulls dynasty, so I've had a difficult time as well when somebody mentions the possibility that Kobe might be better than MJ. However, the more I think about it, it's hard to deny the possibility. The guys is just incredible.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparisons of great players are inevitible. Kobe undoubtedly deserves to be mentioned among the greatest that have ever played because he is one of them. He belongs in the conversation not only because of statistics, but also because of the intangibles that make the difference between a good player and great player.

^ Game 1, on their home court, with three guys who've been waiting their entire lives to get there. I won't say the Lakers were unprepared, but I think this exact type of game is extremely difficult for a road team to win. The Lakers will make the necessary adjustments.

Yeah, that was a bit disappointing. The Lakers just seemed to fall apart in the last several minutes. I'm a bit baffled as to why Jackson didn't have the make more of an effort to foul.

And seriously, how did Pierce come back five minutes after being carted off in a wheel chair in apparent excruciating pain? Sure, you gotta give the guy a little credit, but at the same time, it seems kind of silly.

Either way, it was a good game. I'm thinking this is going to be a long, hard fought series.

Great, now the Lakers are up against the wall. I'm not gonna blame anyone for that game but the Lakers themselves, it would be too easy to scream bad officiating...I'll be better than that. Hopefully they crack down NOW and get something done. They better win all three at home, or I'm gonna have a Celtics avatar for the month of July.

At least the series is pretty exciting so far. David Stern probably has such a hard on right now.

Of course the Lakers will win. They have the refs on their side. Just like on Game 5 of the 2002 West Finals where the Sac Kings, greatest basketball team in the world, got jipped because the league wanted the LA to win. So the refs called sh*t fouls so LA would win. And now one of the refs came clean about it and Stern still says no they didn't. Full Story

^ Donaghy got caught gambling and lying, now he's doing his best to drag down the league with him. Obviously, that game was questionable (I'm not going to lie, even as a Lakers fan) but it's so ridiculously easy for him to say "YEAH THAT GAME WAS TOTALLY FIXED!!!" and have people believe it.

I can't believe people are putting faith in Donaghy's words. He's obviously trying to get a reduced sentence/fine all while dragging the league through the mud to make himself look better.

^^ Are you kidding, everything he said makes sense. How many people would rather see the LA Lakers, or the Sac Kings, many people don't even know where Sacramento is. The NBA wanted ratings and market sales. There are a lot more Laker fans than Kings fans.

^And yes that is very suspicious and that guy is an A-Class Douchebag.

^ So it's suspicious and he's a douchebag, but he's also totally not lying at all?! Look, I'm not saying the game's calls weren't suspect, but I'm asking why your accepting this guy's story as gospel truth.

If the NBA was fixing the playoffs to get better market share and ratings, there wouldn't have been three Spurs vs. Crappy East Team in the past 5 years.

^Ok, I see your point, and yes this guy cannot be trusted obviously. It is just that, ever since that hideous day, and Horry's f*cking 3 in game 4, it was remembered in infamy. So yesterday after hearing that Sac's only chance to go to the Finals and winning a ring since 1951 was taken away because the refs were douchebags, just made me mad. So yes, I my have overacted because of this rumor, and I now see why this douche can't be trusted, and that that day will stay in infamy. Thank you for making it clearer Wes.

The conspiracy theories of fixing series will go on forever. It went on before the NBA got huge in the 90's and it'll go on much longer.

It is what it is. A league wher you can change your pivot foot, take eight steps to the basket, not put a hand on an offensive player, and get called for the ridiculous "illegal defense."

Donaghy is nothing more than the douche de jour. I wouldn't believe that guy if he told me the sky is blue.

Think about it for a minute...

If the NBA really wanted the Lakers instead of the Kings enough to "fix" the series, then why didn't they also "fix" the Eastern series that year so it would have been Lakers/Celtics instead of Lakers/Nets? Kings fans can, and probably will, cry forever about that Western finals loss to LA, but the fact of the matter is that they had plenty of opportunities to put the Lakers away but just didn't get it done. The way they played the end of game 7 was pathetic. They deserved to lose.

Officiating in the NBA is what is. It generally favors superstar players and home teams and has for as long as I can remember. Everyone knows it and everyone deals with it. It all balances out in the end and the best teams still win.