TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Opening Day of "Mammut" - Tripsdrills cute Woodie

captain

Today was the official opening of the new wooden coaster "Mammut" - built in this lovely green park "Tripsdrill".

So I don`t want to bore you guys with lame introductions about the construction, because you`ll find all the facts somewhere in this forum.

But I can tell you, that this coaster is a great addition to the parks line-up of lovely attractions.

The speed is not awesome at all and airtime is just as little as possible but this coaster makes a lot of fun - especially if you think that we don`t have that amount of wooden coasters here in old europe.

The park wanted to have a family oriented coaster - and that is exactly what "Mammut" delivers - Good speed, nice layout, great eyecatcher and lots of fun - this one will be a big hit for the park.

Okay now I move on for some photos...

1CIMG3759.jpg.c9b1041accdee2973c91b7c5ff683f60.jpg

Mammut is a great addition for a great little park!

1CIMG3791.jpg.277e03fd9714a8ec0537e5bb3a82c4aa.jpg

1CIMG3788.jpg.fabfb87d2eaac7fa2a846181fc60c11d.jpg

1CIMG3832.jpg.8f28ea7cc39a725eed37c9590771c167.jpg

Opening day photo of constructor, park owner, engineers and designer - Thanks guys!

1CIMG3818.jpg.5578ebcbabfffee4b48f5651eebc22ab.jpg

1CIMG3817.jpg.8bf382785380754dbf6b505360c1e20f.jpg

1CIMG3802.jpg.fe38fe7e5d0d218ecdf9efe1ada7f23c.jpg

Mammut don`t have so much airtime - but it delivers fun for the whole family

1CIMG3784.jpg.092c412bdaea02b8e070cd68860d437b.jpg

1CIMG3777.jpg.65fbbf2f7a3413338edea484e1471609.jpg

1CIMG3751.thumb.jpg.7d71780908df9f0810639192c493eff2.jpg

1CIMG3781.jpg.a646411679cba291aa83718c11a5f6b1.jpg

1CIMG3763.jpg.b4d01df56df6a8143a256fecde2f8a4b.jpg

This is one of the highlights of the coaster - a dark tunnel filled with a wet mist

1CIMG3739.jpg.aa01ce2550524dc5e32b5d5d50b31e31.jpg

even the station looks not ready yet

1CIMG3744.jpg.f6de5a39a0e48c1eea45e94290c8f5df.jpg

the overall theming is still missing for some months (it should be finished by 2010!)

1CIMG3774.jpg.c64a0765f8ad2a38a6dd37698a55eecc.jpg

a nice first drop

1CIMG3758.jpg.691d17a5dd17c2da0be32f82c25ac01b.jpg

but it has some great moments

1CIMG3754.jpg.4cdfa144ba1f8c2f1130deb505fcad9f.jpg

it`s not a record breaking coaster

1CIMG3801.jpg.7aad65505af94d3e3262fad01908ef1d.jpg

a lovely family coaster

1CIMG3742.jpg.4e1f66b5d33861573f521ec89594b78c.jpg

this is Mammut

1CIMG3783.jpg.32217ffb3ddfa542ddd9601de6ae621b.jpg

Oh, I forgot that you want to see some great Mammut photos, right?

1CIMG3737.jpg.f1d52487a82c67af4e0ab2cff90c59f6.jpg

next to this great little coaster

1CIMG3736.jpg.a68c85814b7f00585401b22c54433638.jpg

this is the great looking log flume ride

1CIMG3726.jpg.925734d232424552d856ca2cf4a09954.jpg

just a handful of visitors this day

1CIMG3724.jpg.65e55da280cc03f54863d1bde062cf57.jpg

a nice sunny Tripsdrill day ....

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The constructor is a german company called "Holzbau Cordes".

They recently did the wooden constructions for Colossos (Heide Park), Balder (Liseberg, sweden) or El Toro (SFGA) - but not the technical things or the track. This time they did all the things!

Just the cars are from Gerstlauer. The ride was calculated by Stengel Engineering.

I`m a little bit split if it feels more like a classic or a "speed woodie".

The coaster is really calm, you really can hear him only if he passes by.

It doesn`t shake to much - just enough for a classic coaster feeling.

And in these early days nearly every ride was different. I prefer the back seats over the front seats because you`ve a bit of airtime (really just a bit) and it feels a bit faster - and the ride is smoother in the back!?!

This is a nice coaster that isnt big. The high banked turns that coasters now have keep the train from slowing down much. It actually seems fun. here is a link to an onride pov

ADMIN EDIT - You can embed a YouTube video into the forums by clicking "Video" pasting the URL, then clicking "Video" again.

This coaster looks really nice, with the tunnel into the ground as a nice different added feature.

Looking forward to riding this in the summer tour.

And thankyou for posting the photos!

Hmm...that video is interesting. I'm not even sure what to think. For a full-sized woodie, if it truly rides like that video is showing then it seems like a lot of money to spend for such a tame ride. A woodie can be thrilling and still be enjoyed by the whole family. GCI has proven this.

I am very curious to ride this, though. I wasn't expecting it to be Balder or El Toro, but I think I was at least expecting something similar to one of the better GCI's. But that video reminds me more of Europe's Timberhawk!

--Robb

Hmm...that video is interesting. I'm not even sure what to think. For a full-sized woodie, if it truly rides like that video is showing then it seems like a lot of money to spend for such a tame ride. A woodie can be thrilling and still be enjoyed by the whole family. GCI has proven this.

I am very curious to ride this, though. I wasn't expecting it to be Balder or El Toro, but I think I was at least expecting something similar to one of the better GCI's. But that video reminds me more of Europe's Timberhawk!

--Robb

This is the first collaboration between Gerstlauer/Cordes/Stengel as a wooden coaster team. Cordes not only did the structure, but has also patented a new track style designed to lower maintenance costs. The Gerstlauer trains are four cars of three benches each (same car design as used on the 5 car train on Falken), but here have polyurethane wheels.

Future designs can be as aggressive as any client wants. This particular ride really just represents a park (Tripsdrill) with a great relationship with a ride manufacturer (Gerstlauer), and they got exactly the type of ride that they wanted.

-Mark

To be honest, it kinda looks like a mediocre ride for Hard-core coaster fans but despite that it looks like a great family ride.

I can't see why we should complain though, there hasn't been a tame woodie made in years. (Don't even ask what I'm on about )

That ride looks great for a family coaster. I really like how the entire ride looks and especially the misty tunnel. This ride did not seem like much to me before, but now that I've seen videos and pictures of it completed, it looks like a fantastic wooden coaster despite its size.

Hey captain, GREAT pictures! Mammut sieht voll GEIL aus!

Really a shame that I moved to the States when this just opened! Especially since it is so close to my house in Germany. I'm very glad they opened this new woodie. Finally, I'll have a reason to visit Tripsdrill with my friends when I return... they always say that it is a children's park, but this proves them wrong!

Very interesting......I can always count on TPR to bring me up to date on ride openings.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed in the end result, but I still like the ride concept and the look of the park.

When I first heard the idea of a "Gerstlauer semi-pre fab. wooden," I wasn't expecting the opening topic to be called "Tripsdrills cute woodie."

However, I think it's great that another company is basically doing pre-fab.s now, even if Stengel is the same person designing them. The ride still looks built a little more for airtime than most GCIs, which is a plus in my book. Also, the second half looks better than the first-the way I like it.

Overall a good looking ride. Honestly, I think the only thing that is preventing it from being Intamin competition is the steepness of the first drop--and obviously Tripsdrill didn't want it that steep. Considering Cordes built the first three Intamin prefabs, you would think they would be able to build some steeper drops on their own in the future.........

However, I think it's great that another company is basically doing pre-fab.s now, even if Stengel is the same person designing them.

I guess that's a question I've had for a while, is this one really a true "pre-fab?" I'm still a bit confused on this.

--Robb

However, I think it's great that another company is basically doing pre-fab.s now, even if Stengel is the same person designing them.

I guess that's a question I've had for a while, is this one really a true "pre-fab?" I'm still a bit confused on this.

--Robb

Not in the sense that you are picturing. As you may recall, Cordes' part in the coasters done with Intamin was *strictly* the structure. The pre-fabricated track seen on Colossos, Balder, El Toro, and T-Express was patented by Stengel, who in turn has an exclusive with Intamin.

Because Cordes is no longer working with Intamin, a new track style needed to be realized. The structure is still "pre fabbed" as it is cut at the factory and then sent in large segments to the site for erection. The track itself is a new style patented track in more of a traditional "stacked" style. Gerstlauer's hand in this collaboration included trains and controls.

Intamin still offers the pre fabbed track. The main issue is cost. Even if the pre-fabbed track does save time and money over the course of the coaster's lifespan, few parks are willing to shell out the additional money up front. That's the primary reason why only 4 pre-fabbed track rides exist in the world.

-Mark