TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Am going to Six Flags Great Adventure. Any suggestions?

NoLimitsXIII

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going also for the first time this August. I am trying to fit all of it or at least most of it into one day. My plan is to go to Dorney one day, and then the next day SFGA. Is it possible to fit it all or most of it (Kingda Ka, El Toro, Superman, Nitro) into one day?

^What hotel are you staying at and how many people are traveling in your group?

You can take a train to Newark to catch buses, however it is unlikely that any scheduled bus will stop right at your hotel.

If you have 3 or more people in your group your best option is probably hiring car service to pick you up at the airport and take you to the hotel. I really can't recommend any particular car service outfit, but you can do an online search for a list of companies.

You could also just pick up a cab right after you arrive at Newark Airport. If you are arriving between 7AM-10PM, a line of cabs ready to hire is always waiting at the taxi stand. However, you will probably need the hotel to call ahead to schedule a ride back to the airport.

^^andy_e219 - You should be prepared to get the premium Flash Pass option if you want to ride everything. The park is at full capacity on weekends in August, and some weekdays can be very crowded, also.

^^^NoLimitsXIII - See above reco on a Flash Pass. Get to the park when it opens and head to El Toro or Kingda Ka first and the other one second. If your priority is all the coasters then make a counter clockwise circle hitting, GASM, S:UF, new Batman coaster, B:TR, Nitro, kiddie coaster, Skull Mountain, Blackbeard, Runaway Train, Medusa, Rolling Thunder. Then spend the rest of the time re-riding El Toro and Nitro. Don't worry about missing flats - there are none worth riding. The Tiger show on the Golden Kingdom is worth attending if you need a sit-down break.

I think the Boardwalk area provides the best variety and quality of food in the park. But everyone has different tastes so you will get multiple opinions posting the generic question "where should I eat?" Some people with cars like leaving the park to eat to get better value at Burger King, McDonalds or other locals places.

Personally - I don't like to waste an hour in that manner by leaving the park and heading back later. My time is more valuable than the $3 I'll save on food.

^^andy_e219 - You should be prepared to get the premium Flash Pass option if you want to ride everything. The park is at full capacity on weekends in August, and some weekdays can be very crowded, also.

Is there any time when the park isn't crowded, and also, how do the flash passes work?

^ the park is pretty much always crowded, at least from my experience and what I've heard.

The flash pass works by "waiting" in line for you. Basically, you go to a ride you want to ride and scan your flash pass at the indicated box. This will reserve your spot in line, and you can go enjoy a show, or eat, or ride other rides while your flash pass waits in line for you. Once its time your flash pass will vibrate and ring, alerting you that your turn to ride has come. You can then ride from that point, until the next hour. (only once, but within that time period) Then you ride. While your flashpass is waiting in line for you, you can scan other rides and once you ride the current ride, it will automatically enter the queue for the next ride you had scanned.

Is there any time when the park isn't crowded, and also, how do the flash passes work?

Accurate information on the Flash Pass options at SFGAdv can be found on the Six Flags website.

Park is generally not crowded in April and starts getting more crowded as as school trips trips in mid-May. Sundays are less crowded than Saturdays and the park generally clears out on Sunday night 90 minutes before closing time.

Weekends in September after Labor Day and before the start of Fright Fest events are relatively light.

The only thing that seems to be different this year is that with all the ride removals, lines for the coasters are getting longer than normal. Superman was almost up to the inside entrance of the line, on a weekday in April! Even GASM was close to the switchbacks.

To avoid the food pricing, I go to WaWa and eat before I go into the park, doesn't work so well if you are getting there at opening but it saves me quite a few dollars ($6 or so for a hoagie, chips and a soda versus around $12 for the same food in the park), especially with it being almost weekly trips for now.

^ I don't really think that the ride removals will have that great of an impact as most of the rides (other than Chiller, which wasn't running at full capacity, or at all for that matter most of the time, for the past few years) were even really that popular or had that great of capacity. Plus, the last time I was there in April for their Spring Break thing, it was ridiculous. It is just a very busy time at the park. It is probably the equivalent of a summer weekday.

I went to SFGAd for the first time on Sunday, 4-20-08, the first day of spring break. Crowds were unbelievable light after all of the stuff I had heard about it being crowded. I got two or three rides on almost all the coasters, and five on Toro. Maybe I got lucky, but I would highly recomend an out-of-area visitor to go in April.