TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Dreaded Job Search

Hercules

Wish me luck... I applied for a open position in Indianapolis Television. If it pays enough, and I get offered it, I will take it. I wasnt' even actively looking, but this morning the 3 phrases that my goal was "union" "full time" "production assitant" showed up. I figure even if the pay isn't enough, I could atleast see what is offered.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I have found a full time job recently one thing I have noticed about interviews/job hunting nowadays...employers really want to get personal.

The last interview I had, I was asked why kind a bars do I go to and what kind of beer do I drink. I was asked what kind of websites do I visit , if I am on My Space, even if I smoked !!!! I dont get it !!!

I do know that many employers now wont give references other than the fact that you worked there. My last one didn't. So I guess future employers are resorting to "other things" to find out more info about you.

Here is my dilema, if I get offered the job, after the interview tomorrow.

Currently, I make 10.67 an hour at my current job and have 7 years of all around seniority and 3 years f/t seniority.

The job at WRTV in Indy pays 11 an hour for the first year, then 12 an hour after the first year. Then year 2 pays 13 an hour. thirdyear, it goes to 14.25, Fourth year, and then after that, it goes to 16.75. The way I figure, I cannot make it with one job at 11 an hour if I live up there. Might be able to if I live at home. I am hopign they might offer me a job with a pay of third year, but not going into hoping. I will also be starting out with no seniority. But the better thing is that with it being union, I will get more freelance ops that make good money.

I just graduated from high school in 2008, I have 4 years of actual work experience and I have not once had a probem ever being employed. I just guess I'm lucky. Currently I am a manager for a Family Entertainment Center and I also own my own business which is doing quite well. Although being just 18 I have been looking for jobs that I can possibly have a career with and my advice for someone looking for a great job is looking into federal jobs. There are usually openings for federal jobs. Last week the Department Of Homeland Security had a posting for several great paying job openings here in my city. ($21-$54hr). I jumped at it and called for information and now I'm studying so I may hopefully get a job with the Department Of Homeland Security. The minimum age requirement is 18 which isn't bad for someone young trying to get into a great career. You just need to order your study materials and study study study. It's quite straining having to study, work and run my business but if all goes well I will get the job I am hoping to get . The USPS is also a great career option. They have good pay and great benifits. Openings are almost always available here in my city although I do know it varies from location to location.

• 3 months later...

So, I just figured that I would give an update. I just started a new job. I was at the other place that I had mentioned for about 7 months, and going off of the title, it was indeed dreaded. Just a horrible place to work. So, now, I have finished a 3-4 month job search again, that I conducted while working remotely in my new home office for my previous company. I am the new VP of sales at a great company, and have been here for about a week. The job is very travel intensive, but it is a great salary, very good commission structure, and all of my health benefits are paid for in full by the company! You never know how bad things are until you find something this great.

^Congrats!

I just had remembered about a job experience where a lady got uppity on the phone with me about a job opportunity after I started work at another company. She had called me based on info from a recruiter.

"Maybe you should update your account." She said all nasty.

I gave her a pass that time.

Then she proceed to give all these benefits and brag on her company.

My eyes rolled.

Then I asked her, "Well what languages do you use?"

She said "Microsoft Access."

No she didn't.

I said realllllly nasty, "I don't DO Access!"

Then I hung up on her.

She don't know me.

Terry "Play on my phone and I'll play back" Weaver

Thanks Terrance! And that is freakin' funny.

3 days on the job and I was in beautiful Patterson, NJ yesterday to see a current client. Next Thursday I'll be heading down to DC, and back up to Baltimore to see a couple more current clients. Right now I'm sitting in my office, with a catalog and a notebook, taking notes and typing them into the computer as a cheat sheet. I feel like I'm in college again.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a job interview on Friday. I think it went fairly well, and they said they had a few more interviews to do and then would decide within the next day or two and call me if I got the job. I'm not sure though if they would include the weekend in that, or if they meant the next two business days. I checked their website to see if the interviewer's email address was on there, but it wasn't. Should I call to see how things are going, or just wait it out a few more days?

This isn't just one of the random places I applied to looking for a job, I REALLY want to work there. So, I'm worried that if I wait too long to make contact that they will have already given the job away and if I call too soon, it may look bad on my part and as if I'm rushing them or something.

Oh, btw, the job would be at a hotel, so that may help with the first question if anyone knows if hotel HR departments generally operate on weekends.

^ Don't call. You definitely do not want to call. It would have been best to get the contact information from the person that you were interviewing with before you left. However, if you do want to call - call the receptionist and ask for the email address of the person you interviewed with, and send out a nice thank you letter to the person. That would be the best way to go about it. And defintely do not ask "how things are going" with the interview process. If you do not hear from them in a week and a half or so, that would be the time to write another email and ask, but not a day or so after being interviewed.

I'm looking again. My last job went for eight months. The company was more than pleased with my work, but like so many others, had to do some downsizing.

I can't stand hunting for work.

But something will turn up because it always does. If I have to list one of my strengths, it's the fact that I do interview well and rarely have to go to more than a few before landing something.

The best of luck to all of you who are looking.

Eric

^ Don't call. You definitely do not want to call. It would have been best to get the contact information from the person that you were interviewing with before you left. However, if you do want to call - call the receptionist and ask for the email address of the person you interviewed with, and send out a nice thank you letter to the person. That would be the best way to go about it. And defintely do not ask "how things are going" with the interview process. If you do not hear from them in a week and a half or so, that would be the time to write another email and ask, but not a day or so after being interviewed.

I disagree. As someone who owns a business and does interviewing, I say give them a call. Show them you are interested in the job. If they haven't made up their mind yet, your enthusiasm might tip it in your favor. If they have already hired someone else, you can ask them why you didn't get the job to better prepare yourself the next time.

The one or two days does not include weekends.

^ I agree with you. Whenever I've been on a job interview, I like to know where I stand. When I've gone through agencies, I do call the agency just because you're not supposed to contact the "client" (the company that an agency places you with).

Is it still acceptable to send a note/e-mail to the person who interviewed you, thanking them for their time? To me that seems appropriate, but the rules change so much anymore.

Eric

Thank you all for your help.

I just hate it when I'm not offered the job either at the first interview, or a later interview set up at the time of the first interview. To me, that usually means they don't call. I've been offered a job twice at a time other than during the interview, once it was the next day, and the other time it was nearly three months later for a position I hadn't even applied for. Most of the time when I'm offered a position it is at the time of the interview.

It isn't a big deal if this job doesn't work out. I'm currently in a leave of absence from Urban Outfitters due to health reasons. I'm welcome to go back to that anytime, though I have been demoted while away. I also have a phone interview with CP this week. So I do have my options, I just really want this job. It sounds fun and it also pays very well.

I think I may call on Thursday. I've had more people recommend calling than people telling me not to call. I don't think it could really hurt anything.

Also, good luck in your job search, EBL.

I can appreciate that school of thought that you should call. I mean, I guess it really does just depend on the position, and the length of the job selection and interview process. I can appreciate persistence and aggressiveness to get a position. I guess during the job hunt, if it is a good prospect, I tend to be a little conservative.

So, I figured I would give an update on me. Remember that great job that I scored a page or so back? Well, I have fallen victim to the economy as many other people have. Apparently, the company didn't realize the economy and industry was in the crapper when they thought they were going to be able to expand. And the first position that had to go? The one that they just created - the position I was in. It is kind of weird - I was due to go to NYC today, and scheduled for Orlando and Miami next week. 10 minutes before I got called into the conference room to get canned, I actually set up two appointments in the Anaheim area, and was ready to pick up the phone to set up something in Valencia and a couple in City of Industry. Oh well I guess, that is just business.

So now I'm on the search again, for the third time in 8 months. This weekend I sent out about 60 resumes. I had an interview yesterday for an entry-level position (though the interviewer was very impressed with me and straightout said that I would be very well suited to jump into middle management). I have a second interview with them tomorrow.

I had a phone interview yesterday for a Marketing Director position at a local construction company. It sounds like an ok position, but with the way the guy was talking, it sounds like there has been a good amount of turnover within the company over the past few years, and that is turning me off from it. If he calls me back to set up an interview, I will take it as another option.

I also got a call for an Inside Sales position at a local telecom company. I really don't want to do inside sales in a call center, but it is an option just to keep my head above water right now if that is what it comes down to.

I also got a call from Dorney Park and will have a phone interview at 1PM tomorrow. Apparently they are looking for middle management there at this time - interesting considering there isn't anything posted on their website that I know of.

^ Good luck!

I got hired at Cedar Point today. I also talked to Urban Outfitters today and I'm free to come back in September, and I'll be able to take back my assistant manager position there, since the girl who replaced me will be transferring to another state in August.

I interviewed for a position at the Marriott today as well, but I won't take the job if they offer it to me. I didn't like what the interviewer had to say and I don't think I'd be happy there. I'd rather work at CP anyway, and I have no problem working for UO again now that I'll be able to take my old job back.

I guess between now and May I'll just have plenty of time to relax and get ready to be busy all summer!

• 2 weeks later...

^ Congratulations on Cedar Point! And I'm glad to hear that the Urban Outfitters thing will work out for you too! Glad to see that you still have that option available.

A little update on me. I got offered a job on Monday, that I really thought was going to be a lot better than what I thought it would be, especially since during the interview the guy said that my salary range would be right in line with the job offer. So I was excited. I then had 2 other phone interviews with the National Sales Manager and the VP of Sales just to cement the fact. So, the Director of the new department gave me a verbal offer, and it was $10,000 less than the low salary in my range. I thought my cell phone cut out for a second and I heard him incorrectly. I know that the economy is horrible and all, but I just thought that was a complete lowball. So, I went into total negotiation mode, and here I sit two days later - the base was not changed, but I was able to negotiate a commission increase of 1%, which is a potential increase of $12,000 at quota. It will take a little work to get that additional money that I need to keep up my standard of living, but at least the potential is there. Now, I am trying to negotiate a better vacation and benefits package, as honestly, I have never heard of anything this bad. The union vacation and sick day standards my fly for their factory workers, but they don't fly with me.

I also got an email this morning from a place that I have had 3 interviews with over the course of the last 2 weeks. They said they will be discussing all of the candidates this afternoon and will get back to me with a decision. I will wait and see what they have to offer.

Im in the middle of doing internship interviews.. Ive been lucky to get a lot of responses this year, since it seems a lot of companies have cut back the number of students they take. Ive interviewed and gotten denied from 3, interviewed and waiting on 2, scheduled interviews with 2 more, and waiting on an offer (thank god) from another. So definitely pretty good so far...

I don't have a long list as of my Job activity. But at least it will bring news about me.

When I finally turned 16, (1½ yrs ago) I went searching for a job. Never stopped to take a break of looking for employment. 6 months pass by, perhaps I'm not getting accepted during the right times. 1 year passes by, I hear about the Economic drop. So I figure it has to do with the major drop of unemployment. Another 6 months, I'm starting to give up.

The year 2009 finally hits. On January 3rd, my mother reminded me about Cedar Point, how they hire people at the age of 18. So I figured, what the heck, might as well give it a shot. Even though I was 17, I would turn 18 before Summer approached. And that would be perfect for the oppritunity.

Feburary 12th: A guy read my application and had a phone interview with me, to clarify some marks I made. So he sends off my application to another person.

Feburary 20th: The 2nd person gives another interview, again for clarifications. Went fine and dandy. She said she would send to HR, and get some backgroup checkups on me.

The very next day, I find in my inbox that I got accepted!

So... I found I will be working in the Skyride area. Start work on June 25th. I am totally siked to try this out. Since I am out of state, I will be in a dorm. Can't wait to get away from my parents.

P.S.: Will be getting a ton of pictures during my Summer employment. So expect a thread from me in the future.

So, I accepted the position I was negotiating and I am currently at headquarters for week 2 of training, just 3 miles from Knoebels. We will be waiting for the new office in my area to open in a couple of weeks. Basically, to keep the company name confidential, I am now working within the amusement industry. I am working for a ticket manufacturer. I'll actually be posting a thread within the next few days that I think will interest a lot of you.