TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Dreaded Job Search

Hercules

So, I'm in the midst of job searching, for about the fourth time in the last year and a half. However, this time it is a little different - I'm looking for something much more long term. So, I figured I would post a thread that is kind of comprehensive, and informational, and see if anyone wants to participate.

Basically, share your job search stories here. Are you currently looking for a job and need some advice? Have you had bad interview experiences before? Have you ever been offered a job that you didn't think you were going to get? What mediums do you most for job searching? Really..... anything that you can think of.

Ask advice, post resumes and cover letters...... anything that you need help with or you think will add to the thread, whether you are applying for a CFO position, or you are 15 and looking to fill out an application for White Castle.

As for me, even though I'm doing the Secondary Education thing right now in school, I am currently looking for either a management position or a straight up sales job that I can stay at for a while. I have solid education with my Marketing major, plus, I was an Assistant Manager for two businesses, and owned a Limited Liability Corporation for two years in which I was the brains and braun behind. Right now I have my resume (right now I have about 9 working resumes that I tailor to the specific job listings as I go) on Monster and CareerBuilder, plus I'm constantly looking at craigslist and in the Sunday paper. I've gotten a totaly of 6 hours of sleep over the past 5 days because I have been applying for jobs (about 80 total so far) and have been trying to finish my final papers, and get stuff ready so we can move out of this apartment by Sunday. And, last week I interviewed with NutriSystem for an inside sales position, but I haven't heard back, so it is safe to say that I didn't get it (training starts Monday) - I figured it was time to step up the job search again.

So, any suggestions? Thoughts? Anyone just getting out of school and looking for something/have something lined up? Anything job search related goes.....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is good luck.

I was actively searching for another job at another tv market (Indy and Evansville) for a few years. I applied for 3 jobs in 6 months, 2 Master Control jobs and 1 Production Assistant job. I had a really good feeling after each interview and it was inter company and thought I had a really good chance. Needless to say I didn't get them. I been passively looking since then, but haven't really tried due to my position at my current job. I have been with my current station since 2001 (p/t from 01 to 04) and survived one job cutback.

There is only 2 of us full timers now, down from 5, and my bosses know how I work. The pay sucks at my job, but in August I will get a 1.90 raise to 10.66 an hour and that is what is really keeping me around. I have really grown to like this town and wouldn't mind staying here all my life if could.

I also believe that someone else has a master plan for me and when he wants me to move on to another job, it will be known. Right now my plan is to stick around for at least 5 more years because that would be the age my boss can retire (don't know if he will or not) and then hopefully get a job where I can shoot video and either direct newscasts, edit commercials, or have some control on who gets hired on in production.

I'm not sure where to start....

My f/t job that I have been in for over 6 years is a recruiter, so I have a bit of insight into the job market.

Herc, it seems like you have a bit of experience....and I'm not sure what you are looking for...be careful that the employer isn’t under the same impression that I am. Most people make the mistake of creating vague resumes that don’t market the position that the posting is for. Such as looking for an inside sales position but you have marketing experience. It might seem like the same, but I have spoken to a lot of people that aren’t into sales.

You're looking for a management spot...may I ask what is your background...is it retail or corporate? Most corporate companies are looking to promote within. So if you are looking for a steady paycheck, outside of sales...maybe data entry/customer service.

What kind of hours are you looking to work? If you are going to school and are looking for p/t work, your pickings are going to be even slimmer.

Have you priced yourself competitively? Are you going in with very high expectations?

Have you've reposted your resume on the job boards? Is your title/objective too weird?

My biggest bit of advice is to set realistic expectations and send a quality thank you note to the person that you are meeting with.

Hope some of this helps. If you want to send me a copy of your resume too look over, feel free to PM me.

I'm really looking for anything that I am qualified for. I have business-to-business selling experience in the service industry with my work as the owner of a trucking and hauling company. I have retail management experience, along with some non-management selling experience. I also have management experience at a bowling alley. Not to mention, I have a lot of experience aside from all of that working in various offices and other establishments where I have gained a lot of customer service experience. I feel like I am over qualified for just simple data entry, and my need is much greater than a 8-10 dollar an hour job. I'm willing to work either in management or sales and I feel I have the qualifications to do so.

I'm looking, too. Funny how something as straight forward as technical writing seems to be an elusive position to find.

To anyone who may post in this topic: do listen to what Teacups is saying. As a recruiter, she knows what the current hiring trends are and will be a great help to you.

Eric

Best advice I can give is to make sure there is a reason for everything on your resume.

If you are interviewing for a job while in or right out of college and put on your resume that you delivered newspapers in high school then you better be prepared to talk about how that experience changed you. i.e.: You didn't get an allowance so this was your spending money, used savings to buy a car, learned responsibility, learned how to interact one-on-one with customers, time management skills.

When I interview an junior level applicant at my workplace I would rather discuss a few small elements on someone's resume and tightening up your resume ensures that a potential employer discusses only the areas you are most comfortable talking about.

Also, if you are sending out a cover letter make it relevant to the position.

Lastly, always follow-up with a thank you note. It used to be that this needed to be a real snail mail encounter, but at least in my industry e-mail ia now an acceptable thank you channel.

After you spell check and proof read your resume and cover letter, proof read it again. Then give it to someone else to proof read. (With that said I did not proof read this post, but I did spell check)

First impressions mean a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

First, I would like to extend a thank you to Teacups for checking out my resume. I appreciate it. I'm not sure if I sent a thank you to you or not.

Anyway, I have kind of revamped my resume a little bit and I have some updates.

A couple weeks ago I had a couple interviews that went nowhere fast. One was for a sales position at Helzburg Diamonds. They were interested and called me back for a very awkward second interview. I haven't heard back, but I'm not shocked. This past week I had 2 interviews that went very, very well. I have scheduled times to meet with both of them again this upcoming week. The first, that is kind of a last resort due to the low base pay and emphasis on commision, is for an Event Planner position, about 15 minutes from my apartment. The other, and the one that I really want, is for an Inside Sales Manager position with an outsource IT sales company. It is a great salary and a decent commission structure. The downside is that it is about 30 minutes away with no traffic. Philly traffic is terrible in the mornings, so it is sure to be pushing 2 hours on some days. I will just have to see how it goes.

In total, I have 5 interviews scheduled for this week, including the two that I just mentioned. I'm really hoping that something pans out this week. I'm feeling pretty good about it. Right now I'm cruising looking for either a parttime night position or weekend position to help suppliment income. I don't really mind working 60+ hours a week between two jobs at this point.

A few tips that I have learned:

I decided to go against everything that I have been taught in my business classes. I have a two page resume for the management positions, and had been using the rule of thumb one pagers for entry level positions. Well, I decided to increase the information on the one and bumped it up to two pages. 3 of the interviews that I have this week are entry level, and I would like to contribute it to a more extensive resume. One page just wasn't enough to show my experience level for various jobs.

Include as much volunteer experience as you possibly can. I got the Helzburg Diamond interview based primarily on the volunteer exerpience section (she told me).

Also, when applying online, make sure the title of the document that your resume is in has your name in it. It makes it very easy for recruiters or hiring managers to spot your resume, especially if they lose it or delete your email. Also put your name in the subject line of the email that you are sending along with the job title you are applying for.

Tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific job you are applying to. It is cool to have a template or, in my case about 20, to work off of, just as long as you take the time to go through and change job and company specific information. If there is a contact included in the job listing, make sure to note that in the cover letter, along with the name of the company and the exact position you are applying for. Make sure the description of your skills and work experience fit the job description.

Make sure you contact your references before you use them to make sure they know that they might be receiving a call from a potential employer.

I cannot stress the importance of being confident and well spoken in an interview, and especially a telephone interview.

Lastly, if you send a cover letter, which I highly recommend, don't just repeat your resume. Say a few different things that will make you stand out. Also, I have just been pasting my cover letter into the text of the emails that I have been sending rather than attaching them. It makes it easier for me, and easier for the person on the other end to read.

All the best of luck to you. "Teacups" looked at mine, too, and gave me some good advice.

Back in March, I interviewed at a place that manufactures panels for the aircraft industry. At the time, I guess they found someone else because I never heard from them. However, I got a call last week from the same recruiter who got me that interview and he said they need a second person to do technical writing, bills of materials, drawings, etc., so the lady I interviewed with there said, "OK, we'll take him."

So, I start on Tuesday.

Eric

Throwing in a tiny bit of advice here...

I've seen someone I love and care about do the two hour commute thing. Whatever the job it's NOT worth it. It will wreck you inside and make you hate something that you may even enjoy doing at first.

Avoid it at all costs.

^ For four months last year, my commute from Camarillo to Van Nuys was about one hour: a 50-minute train ride and a 15-minute walk. That was hard enough and got old real fast.

And some years back, a friend took a van from Oxnard to Costa Mesa---up to three hours each way. Four to six hours on the road? No. Freaking. Way.

I can't imagine spending that much time just getting to work. That job had better pay damned well...

Eric

Congrats Eric! I'm very happy for you.

Herc--your welcome. BTW-coping and pasting a cover letter is much better for the reader then attaching it.

I used to date a guy in Philly (I lived in Doylestown)...and got to experience what happens to a road (76) that has not been expanded since the liberty bell cracked. Unless a SEPTA train can take you to work...you might be very unhappy with the commute.

Lastly, always follow-up with a thank you note. It used to be that this needed to be a real snail mail encounter, but at least in my industry e-mail ia now an acceptable thank you channel.

Even if email is acceptable, it's much more professional to send a traditional thank you note on some nice stationary. It helps if you bring up something that you enjoyed talking about with your interviewers. That has gotten me several scholarships alone, I would reckon, since none of the other competitors sent thank you notes.

If had to hire someone, and I had 2 candidates to pick from that were in all other things equal, and one sent me a thank you email and the other a letter, I would pick the person who sent the letter every time. It shows that you actually care enough to take the time to write something down instead of just banging out a quick email.

And some years back, a friend took a van from Oxnard to Costa Mesa---up to three hours each way. Four to six hours on the road? No. Freaking. Way.

Things I'd rather do than commute 4 hours:

1) Be homeless.

2) Panhandle on the street.

3) Sell crack.

4) Collect welfare.

5) Be in prison.

6) Get committed to an insane asylum.

I am director of 95 people and do a lot of hiring in my position. I have probably interviewed 50 people in the last year and work closely with our recruiters (I am a nursing director at a hospital). In fact I just minutes ago finished interviewing someone. I can give 2 bits of advice based solely on mistakes she made:

1. Do not wear open toed shoes. I don't think this will be a problem for you but thought I would throw it in there. It was the first thing I noticed and very unprofessional.

2. Know something about the place you are interviewing at. I asked her what she knew about this place and why she applied here. Her answer was basically that she knew nothing and applied here because there were no open positions near her. I ended up really liking her by the end of the interview but that was a huge no-no in my opinion.

Some other things:

3. I think this is the most important. Follow up your online application with a phone call, preferably a call to the person you want to work for. I have 9 open positions right now and get approximately 8-12 applications forwarded to me a day. Someone really stands out and grabs my attention when they call or even send an email. We have an online system and I had a colleague apply and the HR people forgot to send her resume through to the director. If she hadn't called she would never have been hired.

4. Follow all the cliches about interviews and applying. Have a good resume or CV with correct spelling and that has been looked over by at least 3-5 other people. Bring a copy on nice paper with you to the interview. Dress appropriately for the interview, women remember to be modest. I hire people that wear scrubs all day and it is still critical in my mind that they look professional at their interview.

5. I feel a thank you email is fine. I actually would prefer it as it saves paper. Plus it shows me that you know how to use email.

6. Practice interview! Get a friend or mentor and be prepared or at least comfortable answering questions. Be honest when answering questions.

7. Arrive early and let the person know you are here early. If your interview is at 4, arrive by 3:45. It shows you will hopefully do the same for work.

8. Ask your own questions at an interview! I hate when I am doing all the asking and it shows me you are engaged and have thought about this.

9. Do not say anything bad about your previous boss, co-workers or workplace.

Last year I interviewed for my current position thinking that I had no chance of getting it, I felt I was too young and inexperienced. I knew I was competing against a lot of people. My current boss and co-workers said that I got the job because I was prepared and intelligent, but also because I wore a suit, pearls and had my hair pulled back; I brought copies for the entire panel of my CV that was on nice resume paper and I got the interview in the first place because my resume was awesome. I had a professional assist me with my CV and cover letter. It is the small things that say so much.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Acctually im looking for my first job now all I can say is.... DAMN THIS IS HARD I like small boys in tights.

That won't help you get a job.

EDIT: I hate job hunting and with the uncertainty of my current job I may have to do it yet again. It's funny I'm out of my original field making more money, but I miss programming but I'm not about to take a hit in pay to do it.

Terry

I am currently in a serious job hunt. Seriously its become my part-time job. Due to the market things are rediculously competitive in my field (Marketing and Public Relations) so I'm trying to branch out and focus on more communications related positions, but its still tough.

My biggest beef with the whole applying/interviewing game is the fact that many places will not let you know either way if its a yes or a no. You take the asessments, do the phone interviews, etc and they don't let you know that they didn't want you. So frustrating!

Another complaint is when they give you a crappy reason for not chosing you. Back in April I drove 4 hours to California for an interview. This after an exam and phone interview. They called me after and told me I lack industry knowlege for the position. Ok, I'll accept that, BUT my resume didnt include anything relating to such knowlege, I never "faked" like I had such experience during any prior steps in the process so why even put me through the paces?

In the end they said they liked me and encouraged me to apply again, which I have, but its frustrating. At least lie to me and give me a better reason for not wanting me.

^ That really is frustrating. I totally know all about that.

Just a few notes: Some exciting things going on with me. I've had a few interviews and they have gone really well. I was offered an Event Coordinator position yesterday, however, I had a really good interview with the job that I really want, and will be going back tomorrow to interview with the CEO of the corporation where I am hoping he will offer me the position. It is a bit longer of a drive, but the base salary is higher with a better commission structure. I would get an extra week of vacation time compared to the other position and a better health plan. The only downer is they would not match my 401K. I also have an interview tomorrow for a job that I'm just looking to suppliment my income with - a late night customer service position - part time and fits into any schedule nicely.

Going back to some previous issues that were brought up. I used to drive about an hour and fifteen minutes to work a few summers ago, and then would drive around 8 hours during the course of the day doing the manual labor involved in that business that I started, and then would drive over an hour back home. It sucked, but I would definitely pick that over being homeless, being in a psych ward, or being in jail.

^In the Northeast...e-mail is just as acceptable as a written letter.

Sometimes writing an e-mail might be more beneficial b/c the hiring might be making a quick hiring decision and therefore might never get the thank you letter until after the fact.

I'm sure that just about everywhere an email is acceptable, it's not a regional thing, in my opinion.

Personally, I think it's tacky to send a thank-you email, but that's just me. A letter, if you write it immediately after the interview (assuming it is mid-morning and in your home region), will arrive the next day. Unless the job is at a fast-food restaurant flipping burgers, I would guess there would be more deliberation, especially if it is only the first interview out of 2 or 3, so there would be no need to worry about time constraints.

Maybe I'm old school (at age 18?), but I think a letter is much more professional than an email.

I guess it is a little more professional, however, times are changing. Email is a very acceptable mode for communication these days. Sure, it would be nice to get a nice letter through the mail on quality paper with a nice letterhead, but honestly, what are the chances of it getting lost, or just toally discarded? People check their email frequently, and it is really hard to miss a thank you email. Not to mention, it is really quick. If there is a quick decision to be made in regard to a candidate, and a thank you letter is a deal breaker, then I personally wouldn't want to send something in the mail if it is going to take 3-4 days to get to the intended person.

^There's not going to be a really good answer to this question because it depends entirely on the hiring manager. A lot of older people aren't as prone to using a lot of email and might prefer a handwritten note. But some younger people may have not received many handwritten letters in their years and might enjoy the novelty of it.

I do think that the *content* of the letter is more important than whether you use email or snail mail. I'd shoot for trying to make it as specific to the interview/company as possible without sounding like a brown noser.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you send thank you notes because it's just plain good manners to do so. The hiring manager has to do his regular job in addition to making time to read applications and perform interviews. His/her time is limited and valuable. That being said, it's unlikely, at least in the technical field that I work in currently, that you're going to beat out a much more qualified applicant just because you sent a thank you note. This is assuming the more qualified candidate didn't come across as arrogant or antisocial in the interview.

^ Thanks a lot! I appreciate it. I would have to say, this is my first REAL job. I haven't had a job since I was trying to get marketing experience as a telephone recruiter at a market research company back in November. It has been a long time, and that was only a $10 an hour part-time position. This is a great job and I can't believe that I was lucky enough to get it. Now all I have to do is finish my degree at some point, and my potential is that much better. To think, I got a job like this without a degree.