TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Niles Monorail

Not sure why this has never been posted before, but someone today sent me the link of Kim Pedersen's backyard monorail:

http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/Niles.html

For those of you who don't know of him, he's basically the founder of "Backyard Rides" as the first backyard coaster I can recall was his (BTW, does anyone have photos of his backyard coasters...I couldn't seem to find ANY).

Now he's got a backyard monorail!

Crazy stuff! There is even a video and a panoramic video on his site!

--Robb

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I always thought Kim's rides looked pretty solid. Does anyone have pictures of the coasters he built in his backyard? I remember there was a video of the one he built that came off his roof, but I haven't seen that in YEARS.

--Robb

That's pretty neat. I used to have a neighbor that had a small amusement rental business and for 2 years he tried to make a ride (similar to the moser spring ride) but after 2 years just gave up on the project all together. He said it was too complicated and that he was going to leave the building to the professionals .

By any chance has anyone been on any rides at a carnival or fair that were built by regualr people in their backyard, garage etc.? I ask because I once rode a swing ride at a fair that was built in the guys backyard... i'll tell you what that was the most scariest experience on any ride I've ever had . That thing was ready to collapse lol.

That's pretty sweet!

I remember when I used to live in a townhouse community me and my friend decided we were going to build a roller coaster (We were 9) so we got out all this wood we found god knows where, set it up like a ramp and rode down it on skateboards. When we started getting adventurous (bunny hills, etc.) it got ugly. I think we got pretty bloodied up and that was the end of our amusement ride building.. Ah.. memories.

When I was about 10 or so, I used to build "theme parks" in my backyard. I had wheelbarrow rides, spinning barstools, etc., but nothing like this.

I think if you go to Kim's website, you can download videos of his creations. I do know that his rides have been featured in RollerCoaster! Magazine (an ACE publication if you didn't know).

I'd really like to check this out in person sometime. Fortunately, he's just up the state from me.

Eric