TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Six Flags New England

I do have one question, how does the Sam Adams Brewhouse serve Bud Light? I know it's a business thing, but come on! Why ruin a quality brew with Crud Light? That's what SeaWorld and Busch Gardens is for!

Haha, I just noticed the neon sign now in the picture that you are talking about. I do not know honestly why they would sell Bud Light, the Brewhouse wasn't open while I was there.

With the exceptain of Batman and Superman, SFNE doesn't look that great. Nice TR though!

don't knock it till you've tried it .

Weren't there rumors not too long ago about S&S coming in and attempting to create new restraints for Catapult?

I never heard that rumor before. I did hear that S&S was going to come in to modify the restraints for Catapult so it won't tighten down more while the ride is in operation.

Excellent TR Craig. I'm hoping to get back up there this year during my NY trip. I love this 6F park. It has a much more peaceful feeling than most parks in the chain.

Yeah, the park does give off a peaceful feeling. I dunno what it is, but I do believe the park still holds some of those Riverside qualities and traits.

I don't know if you're referring to me from the other thread

Yeah I was, sorry, I forgot your name. heh.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now in this picture, you can see the Greyhound to the left and the Giant Dip on the right. Lake Takadip is where the present day waterpark is now and this picture would be looking towards the main entrance. The Main St area of the park has always been the main entrance to the park as you'll see in this picture below.

I know someone here has a lot of history of Riverside I believe, if I'm incorrect, please correct me. I'm so infatuated with Riverside history, it's a shame no one has written a book on the park yet.

I don't know if you're referring to me from the other thread (this one), but from what I understand in all of my research, The Giant Dip was located approximately where Thunderbolt is now and Lake Takeadip was next to it in the general direction of the DC section & Scream. One of these days, I'll try to dig up the article that leads me to believe that.

According to a 50th anniversary postcard from Riverside that depicts the Greyhound, it stood in the present day location of Thunderbolt.

The lake was located in what used to be the parking lot (near the old dome location of Scrambler/kiddie bumper cars, etc.) and the pump sat paved into the middle of the parking lot for years until Island Kingdom was built and expanded. I'm sure it's long gone at this point in time.

I do have one question, how does the Sam Adams Brewhouse serve Bud Light? I know it's a business thing, but come on! Why ruin a quality brew with Crud Light? That's what SeaWorld and Busch Gardens is for!

Excellent TR Craig. I'm hoping to get back up there this year during my NY trip. I love this 6F park. It has a much more peaceful feeling than most parks in the chain.

Yeah, the park does give off a peaceful feeling. I dunno what it is, but I do believe the park still holds some of those Riverside qualities and traits.

I believe that too. It's not a huge park, the place has some moderate size. It seems more quiet than anything like SFGADV when I first came over.

Was the oval ends of the racetrack facing into the river or was the track running parallel to the river? I've never been to the park before the conversion and when Black Widow was there. I have one friend that has when Mind Eraser was new.

Was the oval ends of the racetrack facing into the river or was the track running parallel to the river? I've never been to the park before the conversion and when Black Widow was there. I have one friend that has when Mind Eraser was new.

The racetrack was parallel to the river in the present day DC area of the park. As for Black Widow, that was the only coaster I never rode at SFNE sadly.

from rcdb.com

Of course back then I was deathly afraid of coasters and the only big coaster I would ride occasionally was Thunderbolt.

Awesome TR, thanks for that, I've always wanted to see more of that park. Seems like an already beautiful place, getting even more beautiful. Some day I'll get there, along with about a hundred other parks I want to visit.

haha, well when you head up this wait. Lake Compounce isn't far away either. And if your traveling route includes I-84, then it's on the way to SFNE.

Hey Craig,

I want to thank you for all the updates you have done on The Dark Knight.

I have been following your threads in trying to plan The Big Mike Road Show 2008 visit up that way.

Could you tell how well the single rider line was moving and how much of a wait did it cut out?

Thanks for all your hard work!

Peace, Big Mike

Nice TR on "Sifny" and on Riverside! My wife (originally born in Westfield, MA and lived in Agawam and Springfield for decades) won't even consider going to SFNE because they have taken so much of Riverside out of it.

As far as Riverside info, give me a few weeks. We actually have scads of info on it on the computer. Don't know if this will help, but glad to try.

Also, have a thing coming out soon on the "lost parks of Kansas" where at one point, there were at least 7 parks in Kansas running at same time (early 20th century)

Scott

Could you tell how well the single rider line was moving and how much of a wait did it cut out?

The entire time I was waiting in the station for the second car, I only saw two people for the single riders line on Superman: Ride of Steel. And each train did dispatch with at least one empty seat.

Great TR! Sad for Dark Knight, maybe its coming over here at SFMM as the rumored 2009 coaster?

i believe that rumor started before the dark knight was announced to be canceled.

Nice TR on "Sifny" and on Riverside! My wife (originally born in Westfield, MA and lived in Agawam and Springfield for decades) won't even consider going to SFNE because they have taken so much of Riverside out of it.

As far as Riverside info, give me a few weeks. We actually have scads of info on it on the computer. Don't know if this will help, but glad to try.

Yeah, a bit of Riverside has gone out of the park. When I showed my sister the PTR, she was all "WTF!?" to the wave swinger and antique cars because those haven't been changed since Riverside era.

^Me LOVE old Riverside photos! 'Specially the Monorail!

I loved the monorail as a kid. If you want to see more old photos of Riverside, Here's the link

http://imagemuseum.smugmug.com/gallery/3471781_84VXq/6/199801054_mzfpT#P-4-20

The images start on page 4 and go to page 8

Hey Craig - I think that's you I remember from the West Coast Bash a couple of years ago at Magic Mountain & Knott's.

I'm also really pleased that SFNE have kept the unique Catapult ride as I'd also heard it was due for removal this season. I think we have its only other "sister" here in England at Thorpe Park (called "Slammer" here).

I got the mad urge to finally ride it last year; I was always quite terrified just watching it previously so you can imagine the severe apprehension I had to overcome before boarding! I thought it was not really quite as bad as it looks; it was just the backwards motion I found a little discomforting. It sure "slam dunked" me anyhow I reckon.

I suppose the ride has a rather complicated working mechanism but I believe it's just so great and unique to behold. Long may they continue to operate.

Martin

PS I never forget S&S's designer(?) - Mr Checkits(?) waxing lyrically about it on a Top Ten Best Thrill Ride show some years ago when your former "Swat" was located at the now sadly defunct Astroworld.

Hey Craig - I think that's you I remember from the West Coast Bash a couple of years ago at Magic Mountain & Knott's.

I'm also really pleased that SFNE have kept the unique Catapult ride as I'd also heard it was due for removal this season. I think we have its only other "sister" here in England at Thorpe Park (called "Slammer" here).

I got the mad urge to finally ride it last year; I was always quite terrified just watching it previously so you can imagine the severe apprehension I had to overcome before boarding! I thought it was not really quite as bad as it looks; it was just the backwards motion I found a little discomforting. It sure "slam dunked" me anyhow I reckon.

I suppose the ride has a rather complicated working mechanism but I believe it's just so great and unique to behold. Long may they continue to operate.

Martin

PS I never forget S&S's designer(?) - Mr Checkits(?) waxing lyrically about it on a Top Ten Best Thrill Ride show some years ago when your former "Swat" was located at the now sadly defunct Astroworld.

Hey Martin, good to hear from you again, long time no chat.

Yeah, I was pleased also that Catapult was staying for 2008. It would have been a waste of money to see it go after 2 years. I know that it has caused them a bit of problems in the past, but from what I've seen so far, it seems to be running alright. Fingers crossed.