TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Veganism / Vegetarianism

Hercules

^Then you eat it.

I still don't get it. Tastes good though.

The stalls probably still need to be cleaner and if if a downed animal brings a higher chance of mad cow then it needs to be excluded, but honestly you don't need to make something too comfortable when you're gonna eat it. Save that for your pets.

Terry

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not know being a vegatarian includes no dairy products, I just thought it meant no eating meat.

As stated before, so eloquently by Terry, to each their own. I can not imagine summer time without barbecues, be it burgers, brats, seafood or chicken.

Why do vegetables get no love? I personally think that brussel sprouts and broccoli have a right to live without being harvested for consumption.

I did not know being a vegatarian includes no dairy products, I just thought it meant no eating meat.

It doesn't. That's vegan.

A Buddhist friend of mine is vegetarian as well, however, her diet is really strict. Not only is she not allowed to eat meat or dairy products, she isn't allowed to eat garlic or onions as well because those vegetables are considered aphrodisiacs. Strange, no?

• 1 month later...

My decision to not eat meat comes from many factors. First off, I

have always been a complete animal lover and gave bacon a second thought ever since Babe came out when i was nine! But the real defining moment happened to me about two years ago in a religious studies class I had to take at my college. In this class, we had to watch a lot of movies from underdeveloped parts of the world where people still have ritual animal killings and sacrifices, and man they were graphic. Although I understood the necessity behind the animals deaths, and they used all parts of the meat, They still really bothered me, and I came to my own personal decision, as extreme as it was. I decided that if I could never bring myself to kill an animal and eat it the way that earlier people had, it would contradict my beliefs going into Safeway and buying a value pack of spare ribs. I understand the sentiment that some people need to eat meat and I'm not judging anybody, but for me the mock meat products are just as good. In fact, now I like them better! But just like the original poster, I don't try to push my beliefs on anyone. Everyone should have a belief or cause that moves them, be it child abuse, poverty, ect. Mine is the ethical treatment of animals. Any type of animal abuse or mistreatment brings tears to my eyes. (I can't even watch the Sarah Mclauglin commercial for the Humane Society without tearing up) Thus, I choose to omit eating meat because I would feel hypocritical if I considered myself an animal lover while digging into a hamburger. Of course, I have been only talking about my own personal beliefs about myself. I'm not making any grand moral statements about anybody else. To each their own!

• 8 months later...
BEST VEGAN PIZZA EVER

Question ... what kind of cheese is on your "vegan" pizza. I am just confused.

Anyway ...

The WCB event was awesome, but this is what we have come to expect from the folks at TPR and RideWorld. This has to be the only event I have ever attended where there were more trains operating and more coasters operating than during regular park hours. Just amazing!

BEST VEGAN PIZZA EVER

Haha, I can see how that would be confusing. It's imitation cheese and I have no idea what it's made of. The brand who makes that specific cheese is "Follow Your Heart". The thing with vegan cheeses is that most of them suck... like... really really really suck. Like... "I want to puke and never eat vegan cheese again suck." So as a vegan, when you find some that's not only edible, but tastes as good as normal cheese, it's a momentous occasion haha.

The "Follow Your Heart" stuff isn't even really that great normally, but the way they cooked it at Tomato Joe's made it taste amazing and just like normal cheese.

BEST VEGAN PIZZA EVER

Haha, I can see how that would be confusing. It's imitation cheese and I have no idea what it's made of. The brand who makes that specific cheese is "Follow Your Heart". The thing with vegan cheeses is that most of them suck... like... really really really suck. Like... "I want to puke and never eat vegan cheese again suck." So as a vegan, when you find some that's not only edible, but tastes as good as normal cheese, it's a momentous occasion haha.

The "Follow Your Heart" stuff isn't even really that great normally, but the way they cooked it at Tomato Joe's made it taste amazing and just like normal cheese.

Yeah, most of the vegan cheeses do leave something to be desired. Here i was thinking I was the only veg/vegan at the event. I went to the lunch with my buddy i was with, and enjoyed my Diet Coke. Grabbed a meat-less burger from the Johnny Rocket's after. The girl behind the counter gave me a funny look, an just kind of stopped what she was doing when I asked for no meat.

My one suggestion I would throw out there, and its not a gripe or anything, is maybe getting another fruit cart at the park. The lone one is way over by Goliath, and if your on the other side, that's a pretty serious hike for an apple.

BEST VEGAN PIZZA EVER

Are you the type of vegan that won't even eat honey? I had a best friend who died, and his sister is that type of vegan, and now that I spend time with my dead friend's sister every now and then you wouldn't BELIEVE how hard it is to visit theme parks and make sure she eats something. And she loves theme parks! It would be great if there was some guide to that so I don't dread trying to find her food next time (going to Disneyland next). I was thinking of just snapping some leaves off a tree and calling it a vegan hot dog.

BEST VEGAN PIZZA EVER

Are you the type of vegan that won't even eat honey? I had a best friend who died, and his sister is that type of vegan, and now that I spend time with my dead friend's sister every now and then you wouldn't BELIEVE how hard it is to visit theme parks and make sure she eats something. And she loves theme parks! It would be great if there was some guide to that so I don't dread trying to find her food next time (going to Disneyland next). I was thinking of just snapping some leaves off a tree and calling it a vegan hot dog.

Yep, I'm one of the crazy ones that won't eat honey haha. And yep, eating at amusement parks can be tough. Eating at restaurants is usually easy, but amusement parks for some reason don't often offer vegetarian options, let alone vegan ones. I usually have to search beforehand to find what's vegan, and if nothing is, find restaurants near the park where I can go.

As far as guides to find what vegan food is offered at certain places, there are some forums where vegan people talk about just that. If you search for the restaurant or place you're going with the word "vegan", it will often bring up those results (ie "in n out vegan" or "disneyland vegan"). As for Disneyland, they make changes to their ingredients a lot, complicating things. Since you mentioned you're going there, I'll warn you in advance... aside from their fruit and french fries I'm not sure if anything on their menus is vegan anymore. According to two chefs I talked to, their veggie burger was recently changed and is no longer vegan. The marinara pasta without parmesan at Pizza Port in Tomorroland MAY be vegan, but don't hold me to it. When I last asked, they told me it was. Other than that, I don't really know of anything else inside the parks. If you go to Downtown Disney, Wetzel's Pretzels can make you "non-fat" pretzels, where they use water instead of butter to stick on the toppings. Those are vegan. They usually have to make them special, which takes about 8-15 minutes (but on the bright side, they're fresh and warm). Depending on the employee, they may only be willing to make original, salt, and cinnamon pretzels non-fat because the other toppings don't stick as well (but some employees will let you get any flavor, and from my experience they stick just fine). Just be sure to specify that you want them non-fat, without butter. I also think Rainforest Cafe may have a veggie burger that can be made vegan if you get it without their sauce and cheese.

I hope that helps a little. Unfortunately, Disney is one of the more vegan unfriendly parks, so it's a little tough finding food there. It isn't usually this hard being vegan otherwise I'd throw in the towel haha. Good luck, and if you have any other questions you can PM me.

I can understand the really mean and rude comments about vegetarians and whatnot. Personally I love my meats. I know it was once alive but that won't stop me from eating meat. To be perfectly frank and blunt the plants that vegetarians eat were once alive, too, and were killed. Robbed of their nutrients and many times decapitated.

I don't hate vegetarians at all, I think they could teach us meat eaters a lesson or two when it comes to a healthy lifestyle. And, as far as the 'rabbit food' comments hurt... no offence, but that's kind of what it IS, you know?

I like it all, actually.. meat AND Tofu. Anyhoo, that was my 2 cents.

I personally like my meat and I can understand the complaints about some vegetarians and vegans - some people really do behave as if people who eat meat are "worse than them". I don't mean to generalise and I know this doesn't apply to everyone though!

In particular I don't understand people who are vegetarian, supposedly because they don't approve of cruelty to animals, but still eat dairy products or fish. If you're a vegan then I at least respect you for standing up for what you believe in.

As I see it, people (and animals) have always eaten meat. I don't think we should be unnecessarily cruel, and no doubt there is room for improvement in the way that animals are slaughtered, but I don't think that animals are equal to humans and I don't have a problem with eating them. In fact, they taste yummy, so I tend to eat quite a lot of them.

In the long run I think going vegetarian could certainly help out the world - environmentally, eating meat is really wasteful (it takes far more water, for example, to feed a cow and then eat it than just to eat the vegetables ourselves) and no doubt people often eat too much of it and it ends up being bad for their health - but lets face it, few people in the western world are exactly great for the environment. If we drive, get on planes, travel the world to ride coasters, etc, then the environment's already suffering because of us. Eating meat is just yet another thing that we might be better off without.

I have to be honest, I'm not sure I'm close friends with anyone who's vegan or vegetarian. I can't imagine, for instance, being in a relationship with someone who didn't eat meat - I just like it too much for that! The same applies for friends that you want to cook for - if you have a largish group of meat-eaters and a vegan, how do you deal with that? I would also really struggle if my (future and theoretical!) children decided to be vegetarian / vegan while I was still cooking for them. How would I deal with that and keep everyone happy?

I personally hate any kind of soy cheese. I think they are all pretty much disgusting. I stick to tomato pie when it comes to pizza. And the Follow Your Heart stuff is really bad for you. I mean REALLY bad for you.

What's detrimental about it? I got bored and checked the ingredients. I didn't see much of concern.

As someone whos converting to Veg and a little bit older than some of you kids on here (im 32), I have to agree with alot thats being said. Its a tough go, as you're weening yourself off the "animal" products. Im doing it not because of a moral conviction, im doing it for my health, as my family has had health issues that usually decline in risk w/ lower intake of animal products.

On hercs comments concerning commercially produced soy products, the studies are showing higher intake of said products is causing higher risk of prostate issues in men and a potential link for elevated risk of breast cancer in women. I myself have become a fan of tempeh, which is made from rice and its makes a better "Burger" or filler than soy due to the texture.

On hercs comments concerning commercially produced soy products, the studies are showing higher intake of said products is causing higher risk of prostate issues in men and a potential link for elevated risk of breast cancer in women.

What studies have found this? I looked on PubMed and found a bunch of epidemiological studies that indicated that soy might be protective against prostate cancer. These, of course, are just observational studies that should be further confirmed with experimental studies.

I love eating fruits, veggies, and soy as much as the next guy, but I love eating sausage, steak, chicken, and bacon too much to give it all up. (Especially bacon)

Plants do feel pain though, so technically eating vegetables IS cruelty to living things.

Its always the extremists that give certain groups bad names, for example, the animal rights extremists that despise zoos, keeping animals for pets, and go into medical labs and destroy equipment give animal rights activists and vegans/vegetarians bad names. Islamic extremists give the religion of Islam a bad name as well. Personally, if these people would stop trying to force others to become vegetarian (which is cruel anyway), they would probably be seen in a better light.

^ A number of things that I found... The topic is still debatable though. There have been a number of experiments where a plant was wired to a polygraph and exposed to certain stimuli such as tearing leaves off, physically striking the plant, and even thinking about doing harm to it. The plant responded with all of them.

http://www.department13designs.com/vegan.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_a_plant_feel_pain_without_a_nervous_system

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1408037/do_plants_feel_pain_an_animal_rights.html?cat=22

http://davidsright.blogspot.com/2007/01/mythbusters-prove-plants-feel-pain.html

Yes there was even a Mythbusters special about it too.