TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Veganism / Vegetarianism

Hercules

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I have no problem with vegetarians and vegans .. I do think the latter is taking it a bit far, but it certainly doesn't bother me that they do.

I do also care about animals, and am angered by how they are mis-treated; which is why I try to seek out meat that isn't factory farmed. Now I will be honest and say that I care more about myself than I do about the animals, so I do still buy factory farmed meat if there is no other alternative.

As for the 'hate' .. any small, extremely vocal group is going to get some hate - it's an unfortunate part of the attention which the group seeks.

Cameron.

I personally don't hate vegetarians, I think of them as normal people. But at my school almost everyone hates them and when I ask why they say "I just do". Which confuses me because you've got to have a reason to dislike something and "I just do" isn't a reason at all. So I don't know why people think vegetarians are bad, I have a vegetarian friend and shes a nice person. So I really don't know how this hate started.

Moral... Principle..? *eye twitch*

I do back you guys up, though. As strange as this sounds, I LOVE my meat, and would never give it up.. I like a good Salad too.

But yeah, it is pretty nasty, though, about how rude some people can be.

I have a friend as well who is a vegetarian and she's turned me on to a lot of healthy and tasty stuff.. like that.. uh.. Hummous (SP) stuff.

I choose to believe that some animals were created to be eaten. It happens. Some weren't. (Obviously)

I do like my meat but I do care from where it comes too.. Cruel irony and a morbid sense of humor here, but it's not cool if the animal was mistreated before cow became hamburgers, ya know?

I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years, and a vegan for 2 of those. Honestly, I stopped eating meat because it was easy. My husband has been a vegan for 10 years, and he lost 100+ pounds by cutting out all meat, dairy, eggs, etc. from his diet. It was just so easy for me to not eat meat, because it was just never in our fridge.

As for eggs and dairy, for as long as I can remember, they have totally grossed me out. I have never loved cheese, ice cream, cake, or any of those things. The thought of drinking a glass of milk makes me gag. This is totally shocking to some people. When I express my distaste for chocolate, I usually hear things like "you're just not human" or "what's wrong with you".

It was just an easy transition for me from vegetarianism to veganism. I love LOVE LOVE animals, and when I started looking into the horrible things that animals are put through to become a burger or a meat strip of some sort, it became a morality issue for me, as well as a lifestyle change. I am not ever going to look down on somebody for eating a meat or putting cheese on their pizza though. It is all personal choice.

All I wish for is for people to stop asking me "what do you eat".

I think some people's problems with vegetarians is due to attribution error. They do not notice all of the "normal" vegetarians out there and only take note of the extremists. Any random group of people is likely to have a few jerks in it; but when they are specifically linking themselves to a certain group, the whole groups reputation gets tarnished by their bad behavior.

I had a friend, almost family member, who identified herself as a vegetarian--even though she ate fish, just not red meat or chicken. She caused a spectacle when her husband's employer was having a banquet. They published the menu choices as London Broil, some sort of chicken, or a steamed veggie plate. My friend threw a hissy fit demanding that they provide some salmon (they didn't). I'm sure, in addition to the embarrassment she caused her husband, she left several of the organizers of that meal with a bad taste in their mouth concerning "vegetarians".

My nephew was a vegetarian of convenience for a while the last couple of years (my turkey last Thanksgiving caused him to return to the dark side). I think he went veggie either because there was a cute girl in the PETA club at school or just for the fun of being anti-establishment. I used to rag on him a little by asking if he was still a vegetable....because you are what you eat, right?

--ATT

Since no one else has, I have to include this old line:

I respect people who are vegetarians, not because they love animals,

but because they hate plants.

An interesting fact I learned from my wife (who happens to be a vegetarian) is that some people literally cannot be vegetarians. As in, their bodies require meat to survive. One of her friends was a vegetarian for a while. However, she (the friend) kept getting sick. It was as if her immune system was just shutting down. So, she went to the doctor and was told that the culprit was her diet. Her doctor told her that she needed to start eating meat again. So, she resumed eating meat, and she stopped getting sick. So, not everyone can be a vegetarian. Just an interesting little fact I thought I'd share.

-Doug

I actually had a friend that was told the same thing. I know that I am not a doctor, but I totally disagree with the advise of many doctors that meat must be in the diet. The reason that she was probably getting sick was due to a lack in protein, which can be easily found in such things as legumes and green vegetables, as well as quinoa and oats. It is easy not to get sick being a vegetarian as long as it is done right.

^Yeah, lack of protein is a common problem for new vegetarians. However, my wife's friend was eating plenty of protein...she's quite health conscious. It just seems that certain people need meat in their diet. Not quite sure why, but that does seem to happen with some people. Every now and then (very rarely), my wife will eat meat. About a year and a half ago, my wife was sick. She came home, and I had just cooked up some chicken sausage. It smelled really good to her (usually doesn't), and she figured that her body needed that. So, she ate one and enjoyed it. Once she was healthy again, she had absolutely no desire for any sort of meat product. Clearly, her body was telling her something, so she listened. I thought that was interesting.

^Maybe you could just tell her to eat more eggs (not sure if that's still considered vegetarian) but some of my vegetarian friends do that, to get the proper amount of protein. I do think your wife's situation is very interesting. It just goes to show how eating meat, for some of us, is a necessity... and not 'murder.'

I don't have a problem with vegetarians, vegans or whatever. Like it's been said before the problem arises because attention is drawn to those who appear (whether intentionally or not) to think they have a higher moral value than people who choose to eat meat, or those who try to convince other people that eating meat is wrong when they haven't asked for advice.

For me it's no different than religion, politics, or any other similar issue where someone else is trying to tell you whats right and wrong, or what you should and shouldn't do. One of my pet hates are politicians/religious people who knock on my door when I didn't ask them to, and where I know vegetarians etc don't do this (well I hope not!) it does cause people to stereotype the others who do not do this.

I have been to a vegan restaurant before where they had a massive vegan buffet, some of it was really nice and I would eat it again, and also I was surprised just how much stuff there was. I don't see myself ever not eating meat products though, I just like them too much.

To me, a 1 day old kitten, or a human fetus are pretty much irrelevant beings. They don't have a personality, or any idea of what is going on in the world.

Again, this is why I find your position strange, because, I actually agree with you in that I feel that the animals we eat are in the same category as your 1 day old kitten (NOT THE UNBORN BABY, or as you put it, fetus). How does a cow or a pig or a turkey know what is going on in the world? To me, a cow, pig, turkey, chicken are here for sustenance. That and all taste good. I place human life above animal life, call me crazy.

Based on your statement, if something does not have a personality or is not aware of what is going on in the world, that creature is irrelevant? Do cows, pigs, turkeys and chickens have personalities? (scene from Pulp Fiction comes to mind)

To me, a 1 day old kitten, or a human fetus are pretty much irrelevant beings. They don't have a personality, or any idea of what is going on in the world.

Again, this is why I find your position strange, because, I actually agree with you in that I feel that the animals we eat are in the same category as your 1 day old kitten (NOT THE UNBORN BABY, or as you put it, fetus). How does a cow or a pig or a turkey know what is going on in the world? To me, a cow, pig, turkey, chicken are here for sustenance. That and all taste good. I place human life above animal life, call me crazy.

Based on your statement, if something does not have a personality or is not aware of what is going on in the world, that creature is irrelevant? Do cows, pigs, turkeys and chickens have personalities? (scene from Pulp Fiction comes to mind)

I feel that animals develop personalities as the grow older. I have been fostering kittens for a while, and I have watched them go from pretty much nothing to an actual something. I feel that a 1 day to a week old kitten should be euthanized if they are without their mother because the chance of them surviving is very slim, and why take the time to try to save it when that time can be put in to helping a full grown cat? Plus, the population of cats is so unbelievably high right now that more cats coming in to the world is just not necessary. And, I feel that cows and pigs and turkey and chickens have personalities, and although they don't know who is president, or about the Miley Cyrus Vanity Fair pictures, doesn't mean they don't know what is going on around them, and it doesn't meant that they don't feel pain both physically and emotionally.

^^ And the "test tube" meat thing is being heavily promoted by PETA. They have been trying to get funding for that for many years.

^ I agree. I think it is a good thing. The animals really won't be harmed. However, it kind of falls into the tofu category for people who eat meat.

^^ And the "test tube" meat thing is being heavily promoted by PETA. They have been trying to get funding for that for many years.

Actually, their $1 million prize is a pittance compared to how much this research is going to cost. PETA has a lot of money and should pony up more if they're serious about this. Also, the conditions of their prize along with the deadline mean that nobody could possibly win it.

http://www.slate.com/id/2189693/

Artificial meat is an inevitable eventually. As biotechnology improves, so will the quality of fake meat.

^ It is mainly a publicity thing. That is what PETA is all about. They know that it is really not possible in that time period, but they are just trying to bring attention to this issue.

Also, $1 million is 1/26 of thier total revenue from 2007, so I think $1 million is a pretty good amount to put up, even if it is just a publicity stunt.

^ It is mainly a publicity thing. That is what PETA is all about. They know that it is really not possible in that time period, but they are just trying to bring attention to this issue.

Also, $1 million is 1/26 of thier total revenue from 2007, so I think $1 million is a pretty good amount to put up, even if it is just a publicity stunt.

It's a good amount since they'll never have to fork over a dime. If they're so serious about the issue, why not make a prize that someone could win? It just seems scummy, but PETA is a pretty hypocritical and awful organization when it comes down to it. My beef with them? They're anti-medical research.

I'm think that almost every sane person truly enjoys animals, I mean look at all these zoos there are! There's nothing like seeing a giant elephant or a huge snake. But I also believe that we are able to enjoy nature and what if offers, and that to me includes admiring an animal as well eating them. I mean, there's nothing like a good rack of baby back ribs. And to me when you give your props to the cook, you're also giving props the animal that you ate from. Nature's all about everything depending and interacting in a very delicate network, and even though people are in a position that we can survive without really any dependance on animals that doesn't mean we can't still enjoy them.

But the main problem I have with outspoken vegans and vegetarians (I really don't have a problem with people not eating meat), is that there's so much more wrong in the world than cow's treatment. There's never going to be a time on earth where everything's good, but to me being so vocal and active about giving animals a voice is just turning a face to much more important issues.

I think vegans and vegetarians are awesome, standing up and making a statement with a change in your life like that is awesome

That said, in the same breath, The fact some people love to eat meat is thier right as well, People trying to force thier beliefs on anyone else is wrong, no matter what side of the argument you are on

I also have some serious problems with PETA, they have funded domestic terror groups in the past, and proves that they care more for thier cause, than the right for people to have diffrent opinions

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=11599

Vegans and Vegetarians are awesome, PETA is not, spread you beliefs with understanding and kindness, not with fire, bombs, and murder

Nothing wrong with vegans and vegitarians! It actually bugs me a little when people say that there are more important problems on this earth. That's an opinion, not a fact!

Nobody ever said that we're more important then say your puppy! Only we as humans think that, because... well, we are one!

Just my $0.02

-Sean

no, I'm not saying you're crazy, unless you consider changing your lifestyle for something unreasonable crazy, than ya.

but I really don't have a problem with it.

and of course Sean would say something thinking he's high and mighty for saying something that makes him seem like he sees everything from a worldy point of view.