TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Liberty University Considering Building a Coaster

After checking to make sure it wasn't April 1, I assume this is real.

LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) - The university that the Rev. Jerry Falwell founded is considering adding a roller coaster on campus as part of a plan to increase recreational options for their students.

A new climbing wall is already under construction at Liberty University, part of a plan to spend more than $10 million over the next few years to expand recreational activities on the Lynchburg campus.

Liberty anticipates 5,000 new students over the next five years.

Liberty's Lee Beaumont says the mini-roller coaster is among the diversions being considered, including a paintball complex and intramural sports fields.

Liberty University has grown from about 150 students in 1971 to more than 10,000 students.

Falwell died in May. He was the founder of the Moral Majority.

Link

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have the think the intramural sports fields or the paintball complex (along with dozens of ideas not listed in the article) are more apt to happen before a roller coaster.

More than likely this came out of a brainsotrming session with dozens of ideas suggested but only the most unusual end up as a lead in the media.

Guys, this is a school that punishes students for seeing Rated R movies, associating with people drinking alcohol, and being in the same room alone with a member of the opposite sex. But oh boy, they have a rolly coaster, sign me the fuck up!!!!!!!

easy guys.....I think you should strongly consider what you say about liberty. I know many graduates of this school and they are fine people. As far as being a radical sect? I'm not so sure the school is. They host rock concerts at their facilities......something extremist sects of Christianity would NEVER NEVER do, let alone build a roller coaster. The teachings of Jerry Falwell? some of them are out there, but not all are. I'm curious as to what makes you think is bad about his theology. (not trying to start an argument, just want to see other peoples views. ie: jamesdillaman ) As far as discipline goes..ie: getting trouble for watching r rated movies, being alone with the same sex etc, yes they have a strict code of conduct there, but it is NOT , I repeat NOT forced upon them. They have to sign it to gain admission to the school. They don't have to attend there, it's their own choice, they have to abide by the rules.

^Yeah, Harvard quakes in their boots at the very thought of the academic powerhouse that is Liberty University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_University

In Biology classes students are taught creationism alongside evolution and Intelligent Design theory in what the Biology department calls "an attempt to provide a balanced view of the different origins theories".

Fail.

I don't want to post massive quotes so I'll just place the links up here, however considering this school doesn't allow guys or girls to even wear shorts, I think I'll bypass on the coaster and just drive to the closest amusement park.

Dress Code for men:

http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=1335

Dress Code for women:

http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=7764

It doesn't say they can't wear shorts at all. Just not to class. They can wear their shorts on their personal casual time. They just can't wear daisy dukes. Before making a blanket statement, read into it a little better. I for one think it's not a bad idea, being a Christian college and all. What kind of example would they send if they allowed their students to wear deep v cut cleavage showing shirts and bikini bottoms?

Yeah, I have friends who went to Liberty, and it's not as insane as say, Bob Jones University. You want a crazy school, check out their rules.

Liberty building a coaster is kinda odd, but who knows... Jerry is dead... Of course there was the famous photo of him going fully clothed down that waterslide at the Bakers' water park in South Carolina....

Bob Jones is definitely way way crazier than Liberty, but I'd still prefer to attend a college that treated me as a responsible adult capable of making my own choices based on my religious beliefs rather than one that forces somewhat arbitrary rules (like the Rated R movie and dress code) upon me.

And you can do that , if you so choose. You have to understand that alot of people go to that school not only because of the education, but because they can attend with like minded people. Some people don't want to be tempted to watch certain movies, listen to certain types of music or be exposed to dressing a certain way. You have the freedom to watch what movies you want and dress the way you dress. They have the freedom to sign Liberty's code of ethics or to not. It's not the school that is forcing them to do it. They choose to do it. try not to judge other people because they choose a different lifestyle or religiosity.

I see what the dress code says, but when I visited friends who were counselors for a youth camp at the University a few years ago, (who were also students at the school), we were asked to wear pants/jeans to Chapel time only. We wore shorts the rest of time we were at LU.

Would it hurt you to keep some of your comments personal, you may not agree with how LU runs the university, but it almost sounds like it's a personal vendetta with some of these posts. Just asking.

By the way, I agree with the earlier comments that this coaster-deal was probably a product of some brainstorming sessions. LU does stay pretty competitive in sports, and their intramurals there were a blast as they were, so they'd probably go with the sports-related ideas before a coaster. Besides, a coaster on any college campus sounds weird, and out-of-place to me! But that may just be me.

Guys, this is a school that punishes students for seeing Rated R movies, associating with people drinking alcohol, and being in the same room alone with a member of the opposite sex.

Now THAT'S a pickup line: "Hey baby, the rules say I can't be in the same room alone with a member of the opposite sex... so bring a friend tonight!"

This isn't the first time Liberty University was connected to a roller coaster.

When nearby Roanoke ( Salem, VA actually ) had their own amusement park Lakeside Park, before it closed in 1986 I believe Liberty actually rented that place out a few times.

For a number of years ( late 60s-early 70s ) I believe Lakeside's Shooting Star was the largest coaster in America. Sadly a Lakeside employee was killed on the ride in 1986. To this day I really believe had that not have happened, Lakeside would still be around today.

Its not like they had competiton anyway since Dollywood, Carowinds, even Kings Dominion and Camden Park are hours and hours and more hours away.