TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

You might be a roller coaster fanatic if...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...you wish Spaceship Earth really had been gutted to become a high speed rollercoaster.

...you scare others, saying the coaster is "very intense" so as to have one less person in front of you in line.

...you ask if you can ride again when there is a full line.

...you ask to ride again when there is an empty line.

...you know the names of all coasters in a park you have never visited.

...you try explaining the history of a ride to friends without an interest in coasters.

...you try getting your friend to ride a looping coaster.

...you jump up and down on an elevator just to try and recreate the Tower of Terror.

...you count the High in the Sky Suess Sky Trolley Train as two different credits.

...you refresh your theme park news sites every 5 minutes to see if a new coaster has been announced.

...you assume that any sign of construction in a park could be a new coaster.

...you wish your local park had its own "Bouncy Bounce" ride.

...you have a ring outlined around your eye from your camera's viewfinder after a day at your local park.

...you design coasters in your head during class or work.

...you mourn the loss of "The Making of Me."

If you apply for early admission to Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, just because a news story mentioned that they might build a roller coaster on campus.

If you have made your own T-shirt displaying all the stops you will make in 2008 AND have a thread called The Big Mike Road Show 2008.

Click the link in my signature for an example of someone fanatical!

Peace, Big Mike

When your wife buys you coaster-themed cakes!

My examples from last year...

Birthday - A Mickey Mouse figurine riding an actual coaster atop the cake.

Sweetest Day - A cake with an edible photo of me riding The Voyage.

Double Chocolate cake & coasters...what can I say, that woman knows me!! And she's apparently fond of me too.

...you call roller coasters "credits."

...you say "Only if your name is Jeff Johnson" if someone asks you if a certain pseudo-roller coaster is a credit.

...you can name the roller coasters used in TV commericals and magazine ads.

...off the top of your head you can recite the announcements played at your fav ride
Like this?

"Boarding guests, please quickly and carefully step into the seats directly in front of you, preceeding to the next available seat, pulling your harness down to your waist and buckling your safety belt.

Loose articles are not permitted on Griffon. Please sit on any loose footwear and hats and continue wearing glasses ans sunglasses.

If you're not riding at the time, please take a step back, the gates are now closing.

During your ride, please remain seated keeping your hands, arms, and legs down and inside the train with you head against the headrest at all times.

Now, prepare to enjoy the power and speed of the mythical Griffon.

Exiting guests, please lift up on your safety harness and exit quickly and carefully to your right. Thank you for riding Griffon and enjoy the rest of your day here in Busch Gardens."

...you hit the local railroad museum in the December because you're that desperate for a park.

...you can relate to Ron Toomer.

...you build RCT3 models and put the videos up on YouTube.

...you shoot 5 minutes of crumbling boat channel footage because that's all that's left of a park.

...the majority of your state to state knowledge is what parks are where.

...Orlando is the promised land.

...you frequently take pictures of your McDonald's visits.

...your park pin marks on Google Earth outnumber anything else.

...you own multiple copies of Robert Coker's Roller Coasters book.

...you've watched a video of a vendor and little boy pretend to ride coasters together.

...the first you think of when somebody says "Ozzy Osbourne" is Revolution.

...you're still kicking yourself for throwing away your Star Tours and SooperDooperLooper buttons.

...you've owned coaster "foreign legion" hats during the 80's.

...When you look forward to getting stuck on a ride and getting to evac.

...When have all the songs that play in the stations of your favorite rides on your MP3 Player.

...When you visit a place and a ride so much they know you by name.

-John

...you've watched a video of a vendor and little boy pretend to ride coasters together.

ROFLMAO!

I remember seeing this video (waaaaaaaay before the internet, by the way) and thinking OMG! A stand-up coaster! It was the off-season and Astroworld was closed, so I scraped up some money and a credit card that still had some room left on it and flew out to LA for the weekend. I got to Magic Mountain and had a good time until I asked an employee, "How do I get to ShockWave? I can't find it." The employee said "oh, it's gone. They're moving it to Houston."

D'oh!

...you've travelled to a foreign country just to ride the coasters

Heh... I plan to go to over 30 countries for that reason. But of course, there will be SOME (not a lot, but some) normal stuff in those trips.

... you think that someone who has been on over 70 roller coasters is a good "start" for them. (True story regarding myself, an ACEr said that to me at the 2007 Lake Compounce event - although I'm now at 84, and I should get my #100 at the TPR Canada's Wonderland event.)

... you remember every single roller coaster that you have been on since you were four years old. (True story regarding myself.)

When you can pick Ron Toomer out of a crowd of people, even though it had been more than 10 years since you watched that video of him bending coat hangers, and you act like a groupie who just met a rock star.

When you skip several exhibits at IAAPA (hell, if you even WENT to IAAPA) in favor of getting to have a short conversation and picture with Walter Bolliger.

You take off work to attend media day for Sea World's "Great White" so you can ride it with Claude Mabillard. (That dude is a party in a suit and tie. Loads of fun on a ride!)

You have dinner with two of the guys from Gravity Group and spend the entire meal comparing favorite coasters and coaster elements.

You carry a counter on your favorite coaster so you won't lose track of how many times you've ridden it. (sad, but true: up to 561 on Boardwalk Bullet now)

You have pieces of a defunct coaster next to a framed homage of photos of it.

...you've travelled to a foreign country just to ride the coasters

Heh... I plan to go to over 30 countries for that reason. But of course, there will be SOME (not a lot, but some) normal stuff in those trips.

... you think that someone who has been on over 70 roller coasters is a good "start" for them. (True story regarding myself, an ACEr said that to me at the 2007 Lake Compounce event - although I'm now at 84, and I should get my #100 at the TPR Canada's Wonderland event.)

... you remember every single roller coaster that you have been on since you were four years old. (True story regarding myself.)

Yep. What's even worse is when you go BACK to a country just to RE-ride the coasters.

-Often people visiting ask for you to play tour guide at your home park

-You want a job as a tour guide at your home park and know that the class will come easier for you considering that you already know half the info

-You have ever dreamed of working for B&M

-When you found out you were moving to Orlando you were more excited about getting an AP to Universal than the great weather

-On the day you planned to go to an Orlando park you find out there is a massive traffic on I-4 but suck it up and drive there anyways because you have to get your fix

-You go to the thrift store just to see if they have shirts from the parks on sale

-You have successfully found a shirt for less than 3 bucks of one of your favorite rides at the thrift store

-You keep shirts from you 1st theme park visit and still have them

TheRapidsNerd wrote:

ROFLMAO!

I remember seeing this video (waaaaaaaay before the internet, by the way) and thinking OMG! A stand-up coaster! It was the off-season and Astroworld was closed, so I scraped up some money and a credit card that still had some room left on it and flew out to LA for the weekend. I got to Magic Mountain and had a good time until I asked an employee, "How do I get to ShockWave? I can't find it." The employee said "oh, it's gone. They're moving it to Houston."

D'oh!

Man, bummer that happened to you. I still think that coaster is cool, epsecially for an early stand up. As for the video, me thinks it was standard issue. Don't remember which thread, but several folks remembered and laughed about watching that tape. Someone even posted pics of the box. Think my parents still have it in our stuff from previous moves (about 30 boxes out in the garage). If we can ever get into that stuff, there are some good WDW home movies and SFoG from around 1992.

Anywho, yay for scratch guitar and moog synths!

pianojohn, I bow to your superior license plates and that pic of you with the Shamu Beetle at SeaWorld a few weeks ago.

Man. This thread is too good. I am guilty of several of these.

...You want to apply to work at Cedar Point even though you live 9 hours away. (guilty)

CP does have employee dorms.

...You show up at the front gate 3 hours before opening just to have peace-and-quiet time by yourself.