TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Flat ride accident... I dunno what's it called

Sorry about the topic name.. I am really don't know what's it called

Here's the pics which scared me, here's the story:

There's a carnival called Coca Cola Global Carnival here in Thailand. Looks interesting but... there's one very quiet accident they tried to keep it low. Some girls get on this ride and this is what happen. the watcher on the ground caught it on tape which they captured it here. FORTUNATELY, no one dies no one hurt because of the safety rope (as you can see in the pic)

When they got down they didn't know what was happen but everyone on the ground saw it and rushing to the office of the manager or something... They asked

"Why is this not safe?"

the answer was "If it's not safe the riders would be dead by now."

The carnival done nothing but refund the ride fee...

I don't know if this is common for this rid but if my relatives are on the ride and i'm watching it goes like that I would die of shocking...

IMO... I'm shocked.... I've been on one in Singapore and I think it's safe.... No more for me haha! I'm now only in for Disney Rides!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^You need to factor in how many of those deaths in Disney parks were due mechanical failures, ride-op mistakes, and other operations-related factors (as opposed to guest stupidity) for that statement to mean very much.

Ironically, Disney rides have killed a lot more people than a theme park has the whole time it's operated.

Then again, I'm not clear on what you mean here at all. That Disney rides have killed a lot more people than this theme park in Thailand?

^You need to factor in how many of those deaths in Disney parks were due mechanical failures, ride-op mistakes, and other operations-related factors (as opposed to guest stupidity) for that statement to mean very much.

Ironically, Disney rides have killed a lot more people than a theme park has the whole time it's operated.

Then again, I'm not clear on what you mean here at all. That Disney rides have killed a lot more people than this theme park in Thailand?

You must also factor in the sheer amount of people at Disney parks. WDW's Magic Kingdom ALONE got 17 MILLION people in ONLY 2007. That's well over the 2007 estimate for the entire population of the Netherlands. For only one out of the MANY parks that disney has. (I count each park as a standalone, including waterpark, not "amusement complex" like all of WDW.

Back on topic, this still won't phase me from riding my first Sling Shot (and Skycoaster) at Darien Lake this summer. I would have ridden those things A LOT already had they been cheaper.

Funny, I can only think of two deaths at Disney parks being the direct result of the actual ride.

Wouldn't this be a perfect example of the safety systems set in place that make riding something like that a little easier?

OMG! I love these rides. Good thing now I only ride the "Spring" launched slingshots!! For some odd reason they make me feel a little bit more safe! I have been on the slingshot in Kissimmee when a spring breaks, but it is "no bid deal" said the ride op. But the ride still ran fine. I guess it is because there are so many springs one does not affect the ride! I could not have imagined what it would have been like to be on that slingshot when the rubber band broke.

~Matthew

Slingshot.jpg.38d0112261ea646f1db4c14f066607d7.jpg

See the GIANT springs seem to be more safe! But I dont know why...

^^Are you thinking of the Columbia and Big Thunder, Hector? I might lump in the America Sings accident with that group (but that might be an example of "cast-member error").

^^^ Yes Chuck those are the two I'm thinking of. I wouldn't blame the American Sings accident on the building though, it was unfortunate, but it wasn't caused by the ride malfunctioning or acting abnormal.

^^ & ^ that's exactly what non-enthusiasts think of roller coasters (it's all the same to them) many of those Carnival rides get more frequent inspections then some roller coasters do. Accidents can and will happen everywhere in every aspect of life, it sucks but it's part of life.

There are way more flat rides in this world then there will ever be roller coasters, by far. It's the same thing as to why it seems Disney has more accidents then other parks they see a LOT more people per park then the smaller parks.

I really don't trust rides like this, I'll stick with coasters. I'm glad no one was killed. This is also a little off topic, but I noticed their are a lot more flat accidents that coastes. Just thought I would needlessly throw that out there.

There are also a lot more flat rides than coasters in the world.

See the GIANT springs seem to be more safe! But I dont know why...

It's not the springs that make them safer, it's the cables.

Bungee cords are supposed to be replaced after 20 uses, A.J. Hacket replaces them every 10 jumps I believe. (They have a perfect safety record!) You know these carnies are NOT changing out the bungee cords as they should.

A tad off-topic, but you can find some free-of-charge Sling Shots. The one in Skyline Park is one of them.

I personally don't like this type of ride, for they are too intense for me, but for what I have seen the safety systems are redundant enough to ensure an acceptable level of safety to the riders. This can be shown by the double cabling and multi spring system for the spring version, or the safety cable/bungee on the bungee version.

I'm glad to see the safety system worked, this shows that things can go wrong without going bad. A good example to keep in mind for untrustful/suspicious relatives or friends...