TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do Rides/Roller Coasters Make You Sick/Lightheaded?

The only thing that has really made me sick was after riding a frisbee 3 times in a row at adventureland LI. It's one of those traveling frisbees and was purchased from a German fair. I could honestly believe that they didn't change the cycle.

The park also has a pirate ship, also purchased from a German fair and also from Huss, that has a swing angle of 75 degrees!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one ride that messed me up (considering I have a pretty strong stomach) was the Crazy Train carny ride (made by Larson). Not only was it nauseating but I rode it in near triple digit tempuratures...the cars themselves, you have to kind of clench-n-squish to get in...a little too compact if you ask me...top it off, the car chambers have no airflow as you have a frosted plastic 'windshield' obstructing your view and any type of fresh air. I actually had to take a breather for a little while.

^Agree on the Mondial TopScan. Did it at the carnival last weekend - but after a big cold beer I rode it a second time and it was a little better...

Compared to parks this carnival version was running 4 minutes out of the 5 minute program on the fastest setting which made it far more intense than any park TopScan I've ridden so far.

• 1 year later...

For some reason, your typical fair rides (Tilt-a-Whirl, Scrambler, Starship 2000, Zipper, etc.) will make nauseous after a while, but for some reason, I can ride most roller coasters and large flat rides at an amusement park continuously and not feel nauseous at all. I guess it's just rides that spin me around a lot that get to me after a while.

As far as suggestion, I'd say eat healthy, but not too much. Eat breakfast, eat a lLight lunch, snack a bit during the day, drink tons of water, do NOT drink soda, and when you leave, eat a big meal. I find I react differently to coasters/rides depending on how well I eat both the night before and the day of riding.

I tend to feel ill on a lot of simulator rides and spinning flat rides. I felt queasy after Temple of the Nighthawk at Phantasialand (I was tired, the ride was hot inside and had no air flow) and Manta at SeaWorld Orlando (the pretzel loop made me dizzy), but other than that the only times I feel ill are when I'm dehydrated, too hungry or too full on a ride.

Mainly spinning rides make me feel queezy.

Some I can remember were ALL the flat rides at Victory Kingdom, horrible Moser upside down Twist. Mainly teacups and similar rides. If I come across a unique flat ride type I have never ridden before I will always give it a go but once i've ridden it I can stay off them!

Surprisingly I didn't feel horrible after riding Kieppi at Linannmaki like others did. Rode it twice and once after lunch!

As for coasters, some spinners and strangely enough, the Batman clones and Nemesis Inferno make my slightly dizzy when I return into the breaks. No other inverts do it, just those.

^It's the same for me--the spinning coasters. This isn't surprising, as I don't care for most flat rides. I do tend to gray out on I305's initial drop and turn, but it doesn't leave me feeling sick afterward.

The only rides that make me even a little sick are anything that I can spin. Teacups... Twister's... anything like that. The only thing is I don't know if I feel sick because of the spinning or because of the workout from spinning the thing as fast as I can until I feel like I'm gonna pass out (not literally but close lol). Usually I go to the parks with my girlfriend and we just take turns spinning the hell out of them while the other person gets a breather. lol

I'm a Coaster enthusiast but on some coasters I get sick! For example: after I rode Tatsu at SFMM I get sick and my breakfast left my stomach after I rode it!!!

On Blue Fire at Europapark i get dizzy when I rode it in the 2nd row. When I rode it in the middle (5th row) everything was ok but when I rode it in the 2nd last row, I get a bit sick!! The same on Silver Star!!

Last weekend I rode Sky Scream (Holiday Park) in the first row and I got dizzy. In the afternoon I rode Expedition GeForce in the middle (car nr.4) and I was well after I rode it. We rode it again but in car nr.5, which is more in the back, and I get a bit dizzy.

But on some Flat rides I get Sick, for example: Moby Dick, Playball, these giant swing rides

But on other rides I don't get sick: Scrambler, Music Express, Octopus

And on Drop Towers I get a little bit dizzy

Tea cup and spinning coasters. Throwing up at Disneyland is one of the most embarrassing moments in my whole life and I stopped riding tea cups ever since. Pandemoniums make me more than just a little sick. Six Flags efficiency always gives a good minute of extra high speed spinning at the brake run.

When I marathon B&M coasters with inversion for more than 4 times, I wuld get dizzy. But no Intamin has ever made me even a little sick.

Sometimes I get sick if I didn't eat for a while. I know you shouldn't ride a roller coaster after eating a huge meal, but you can't be extremely hungry either. Otherwise I feel so sick and a little lightheaded.

Sometimes roller coasters that are extremely rou give me headaches (Dragon at Adventureland, I'm looking at you). Sometimes I've had to take Advil after a roller coaster, and I feel better after a while. Drinking a lot of water prevents most headaches from happenig to begin with though.

Usually anything that spins I can't deal with but I've been trying a few this year with success: Apollo @ Dorney was awesome, Enterprise made me a tiny bit queasy (and I used to love that ride @ Moreys growing up), I did a Tilt-A-Whirl @ Moreys this summer that did the same thing, but I was fine from both after I got off. I still won't step foot on Teacups or a Music Express (another I loved as a kid).

As far as coasters the only times I was bothered this year was when marathoning Bizarro (SFGAdv) 3 times without getting out of my seat at Coasters After Dark (21 inversions in 10 minutes!) and then another time after pounding a few beers in the lot during lunch and going back in and getting right on Green Lantern. So both of those were understandable.

Then we did Ragin Cajun @ SFA last month which taught me I don't need to ride a spinning mouse for the remainder of my time on this planet. The Flyers there were my first and I was concerned before riding but I thought they were awesome and didn't bother me at all.