TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Research Paper Experiment/Survey...

I have to conduct a survey for a research paper I'm writing.

Do you feel safe riding rollercoasters?

A simple yes/no answer will do here.

If no, describe the time where you did not feel safe.

Has your health ever been an issue when riding a coaster?

You can go into detail here if you'd like.

Thanks for the help. I'm dividing half of the people surveyed between the "GP" and coaster enthusiasts.

Should be interesting.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

I had an experience on a coaster where my harness unlocked. The only thing that kept me in the train was the seat belt that attached the restraint to the seat itself and prevents the harness from completely opening. While I'll still ride coasters that don't have secondary seat belts, I tend to feel pretty uncomfortable on coasters that don't, depending on the nature of the ride.

EDIT:

As for your third question, it's actually a little vague, but I'm going to assume that you mean "have ever had a health issue that has affected your coaster ride?" And the answer is sort of, with two separate examples. I'm lactose intolerant so it's not uncommon for me to have stomach issues, and I've ridden coasters while having stomach problems where the stronger g-forces causes severe stomach pain. Second, I have a few back problems from a car accident I had when I was 17, and that tends to make me a little more sensitive on rougher coasters. I've ridden coasters that were excruciatingly painful to a point where I'm trembling from the pain after I get off the ride.

^^ What coaster was that? If you don't mind my asking.

My answer is yes.

I have had one weird experience, however. It was on Xclelerator at Knotts. I put my hands up on the top of the tophat and all my weight was on the lap bar. It all of a sudden started slowly releasing and moving forward, but stopped. When we hit the brakes and I looked, it had opened up a good 6 inches or so. I now don't put my hands up on Intamin coasters with hydraulic lap bars, instead I hold on the whole time.

EDIT: To answer your recent question, I don't know exactly if my health was an issue, but I have "greyed out" on coasters before. Namely Goliath at SFMM, during the helix (who doesn't, though, lol), Millennium Force in the back seat only, from the bottom of the first drop to the top of the first airtim hille, Raptor in the back seat during the helix, and Silver Bullet in the back seat during the helix. All I can think of right now.

I have had one weird experience, however. It was on Xclelerator at Knotts. I put my hands up on the top of the tophat and all my weight was on the lap bar. It all of a sudden started slowly releasing and moving forward, but stopped. When we hit the brakes and I looked, it had opened up a good 6 inches or so. I now don't put my hands up on Intamin coasters with hydraulic lap bars, instead I hold on the whole time.

The last time I rode Xcelerator in the back seat, I noticed this too. Of course, the back seat has ejector airtime, but at the end of the ride I noticed my lapbar was a few inches looser than it was when the ride started.

I still put my hands up, but it is a little strange.

To answer your question, I do feel safe on the majority of coasters. Some fair rides, not so much... but I usually don't have any safety issues. Health has never been an issue while riding anything.

I have to conduct a survey for a research paper I'm writing.

Yes

Yes, two health issues.

First, I've found that I'm prone to dizziness and vertigo after riding on looping coasters, spinning coasters, and coasters that go backwards. For this I take the over-the-counter drug Meclizine in advance, which generally does the trick, but a multi-day coaster tour usually leaves me with occasional bouts of dizziness for a couple of days after.

Second, I have some kidney stones lodged in my left kidney. They are due to be removed in the near future (surgically), but I found on a recent trip that on some extremely rough wooden coasters (in this case Rattler at SFFT, Texas Giant at SFOT, Boardwalk Bullet at Kemah Boardwalk), I had some serious pain in that area from banging so hard against the seat.

I know, too much information.

Good luck on your paper.

Martin

I generally feel safe on all coasters. Some, such as those with PTC trains with the version 3 lap bars go up a few notches sometimes, but I'm still alive...

On the health issue thing... I don't think I've ever been on a coaster that I didn't black out on. Must be some circulatory issue

Yes.

My first ride on X I didn't feel safe, even though I'm sure I was. I think it was because of the unique exposure I had never felt on any ride before (facing the ground with no lapbar).

Never.

Xcelerator has hydraulic lap bars that have some play in them (they can move up about 3/4 of an inch if you really put pressure on them) but I think saying they moved 6 inches during the course of a ride is a bit of an exaggeration...hydraulic lap bars are pretty much 100% fail safe.

Yes, I feel safe.

1.5 year ago though, I had a problem with my back and while riding Coaster Express at Parque Warner, it was so painful that I started feeling my heart. I was so glad the train entered the station again.

Shortly after that my back problem was cured and since then I feel completely safe again riding coasters.

Xcelerator has hydraulic lap bars that have some play in them (they can move up about 3/4 of an inch if you really put pressure on them) but I think saying they moved 6 inches during the course of a ride is a bit of an exaggeration...hydraulic lap bars are pretty much 100% fail safe.

No, it's not an exaggeration. I know what happened, I was there, you weren't, don't tell me what I saw. The first two times I rode it that day (this was my third time), it moved, like you said, about 75% of an inch or so. That third time, it moved a hell of a lot more. It was 4 inches at the very least. It moved a good amount compared to my first two rides. NOTHING is 100% fail safe. Yes, the hydraulic lap bars have to fail twice before completely failing, but that doesn't mean they can't fail at all.

Yes

N/A

Not really, unless you count getting a bruise on a coaster (thanks Wild Adventures)

EDIT:

As for your third question, it's actually a little vague, but I'm going to assume that you mean "have ever had a health issue that has affected your coaster ride?" And the answer is sort of, with two separate examples. I'm lactose intolerant so it's not uncommon for me to have stomach issues, and I've ridden coasters while having stomach problems where the stronger g-forces causes severe stomach pain. Second, I have a few back problems from a car accident I had when I was 17, and that tends to make me a little more sensitive on rougher coasters. I've ridden coasters that were excruciatingly painful to a point where I'm trembling from the pain after I get off the ride.

Yes, that's what the question means. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your help, guys!

1) Do you feel safe riding rollercoasters?

Yes.

2) Has your health ever been an issue when riding a coaster?

I have metal rods in my back, so a really rough coaster like Big Dipper at Blackpool hurts like anything. And big positive G spikes can hurt. I am fine with nearly all coasters though.