TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point - Is it worth it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ It all depends on the day, whether, etc., but I'd have to say not likely. I went twice last year, once before Maverick was open (in May), and once after (early June). Before it was open was the time I stayed at the Breakers, the other time, when it was open, was just for the day. My second visit, I got to the park (at the Magnum entrance, the one closest to maverick) at 9:30 and had to wait a half hour until the park opened to the GP before I could go in. The first thing I went to was Maverick, and even at 10:00 am, sharp, the line was 1.5 hours long. Maybe if you get to the gate at about 8:15-8:30, you can be one of the the first to run to Maverick, but it would be tough. It's possible, but you really have to hurry.

I wouldn't call the 'ERT' ...ERT for Maverick, unless you are one of the people at the front of the gate. Almost all of them go for Maverick. I'd say one ride during ERT, then the line is full.

That's it.

Maybe, just maybe 2 rides on MF but I'd doubt it. And TTD wasn't on the ERT list the two days I went.

Yeah, TTD isn't on the list, so it doesn't open until 10:00 am when all the other rides do. The only reason it was on the list last year was because of Maverick's heartline roll replacement. They need a filler coaster to take it's spot temporarily.

I know I'm late here, but just wanted to say that I had been wanting to go to CP from 1997, and didn't get a chance until 2004, but it was completely worth the wait and awesome. I guess things have changed in the past few years, but I always thought of CP as larger than life and really, really loved my first trip there. Having gone there many a time since, however, I have grown stale towards it and probably won't go for another couple years.

Here's the answers to your questions [yes, I know, they're late]:

1) What will the crowds be like in June - early July?

We've gone in early June and the crowds were busy thanks to school trips, especially at the bigger rides. Later at night, the crowds dwindle. As others have pointed out - do the back of the park first, near the Magnum/waterpark entrance! It's usually deserted back there for the first 45 minutes of the day.

2) If I visit the park for 2 days, will I have enough time to do everything?

The first time we went [late-August 2004], we were scared that two days wouldn't be enough, but they were. We got most of the credits done on the first day and were able to use the second day for basically re-doing what we really liked, and just enjoying the day and riding any flats that piqued our interests.

4) What kind of lines should I expect, assuming I visit on weekdays (Mon. - Thur.) for the major attractions.

Depends on the time of day. In the morning until early-mid afternoon, lines for things at the front of the park [Raptor specifically] can get massive. Later in the day, people will be more spread around the park so things will dwindle down a bit. Be smart about it! If you notice a line that looks to be two hours for a ride, come back later. The only rides that I figure are worth a huge wait are TTD, MF and Maverick, although I personally wouldn't consider waiting an hour or more for Maverick again. Everything else can be walked-on at some point during a day. Just remember that.

5) What is the chance of rain in Ohio during these months?

It's funny that there's been so much rain-talk about CP lately, because the first four trips we took there [eight days in total I think], we didn't encounter any rain! But the last time we went, it rained three or four times in the three days we were there, and it really got quite annoying. So, prepare for a lot of rain and plan accordingly.

That said, I think you made a great decision in choosing it over the Six Flags parks!

-Gemini - Rolling Thunder: No conest, Rolling Thunder takes the win. (SFGA)

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, so I guess that I will state mine. Rolling Thunder in my book, is a complete pile of garbage. When you come back into the station and everyone on the train is chanting "WD40!!" you know that it is bad!!! I know that wood is supposed to be rough, but this thing had no air, was slower than molasses, but yet still managed to leave you with bruises. AWFUL!

Now mind you, I rode Gemini twice last year (front and back) and the smoothness of this classic has also taken a noticeable turn for the worse. But the first drop and the arm chopper make it easily better than Rolling Thunder...any day of the week. Plus, it is on steel tube track, so parts of it are still smooth. Just watch the helix at the end! OUCH!

As far as the original topic, go to Cedar Point and have a great time. SFGA, SFMM and CP are all good parks that have their good and bad points. If you don't feel that you will make it back to CP again, you must go this year....enjoy!

• 2 months later...

*bump*

I thought I would bump this thread to tell everyone that I decided to go to Cedar Point. Thanks again everyone for the advice and tips.

I will arrive Tuesday and will be staying at the Sandals Resort Wednesday and Thursday, and should get about 2 days worth of time in the park (Tuesday: 4/5-10pm, Wednesday: all day, Thursday: 9-3/4pm). Thankfully, the weather outlook looks good for all three days, with highs in the low 70's and only a slight chance of rain, probably in the afternoon.

I do have a few final questions though, primarily for any of you that have visited recently:

- Are all the rides operating? I know that Wildcat had an accident a few weeks ago, but I haven't heard of any other problems, and I assume that it is open again.

- What have the crowds been like so far? I'm going during the theoretically slowest days of the week, so I'm hoping that they will only be moderate (30-45min waits for the main coasters, 10-20 for everything else).

- Where is the best (quickest) place to buy tickets? Can I purchase them directly from the resort, or do I buy them at the Magnum entrance? Plus, how busy is the Magnum entrance during the morning ERT?

- What are the best places to eat in the park?

Thanks again!

I got a question, while reading the topic:

What is CP rain policy???

And...

Whats is SF bag-locker policy...

Does CP has it...

I'm going in one week...

So...

Can i bring my camera ON-RIDE?

I dunno...I'm SOOOO excited, but...reading this topic makes me feel like i made a bad choice...

Thanks!

Jpdupuis

I got a question, while reading the topic:

What is CP rain policy???

And...

Whats is SF bag-locker policy...

Does CP has it...

I'm going in one week...

So...

Can i bring my camera ON-RIDE?

I dunno...I'm SOOOO excited, but...reading this topic makes me feel like i made a bad choice...

Thanks!

Jpdupuis

Your camera must be in a pocket of some kind. If you try to take it out to record or take pictures they will yell at you in the station.