TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point - Is it worth it?

As a long time coaster enthusiast, I've always dreamed of some day visiting Cedar Point. This summer, likely around June-July, I may get the chance to finally travel to the park for a few days. However, after becoming more knowledgable about the coaster world, specifically from reading the TRs on this site, I'm beginning to wonder whether Cedar Point would be worth it, or if I should consider some other major theme park like SFMM, or Six Flags Great Adventure. They all have a comparable coaster selection, but they seem to offer different experiences. This aspect even becomes more complex, when I consider that Six Flags has been raising its quality over the past few years to match parks like Cedar Point. Cedar Point still seems to have that special atmosphere, like its the Las Vegas of the amusment industry, but I honestly don't know if that puts it over other parks like the two previoulsy mentioned.

Ok, so I'll be a little more concrete with my concerns. After reading numerous TRs about Cedar Point, especially the ones from the TPR visit last year, I've gotten the impression that many coaster enthusiasts consider the park to be over-hyped. In addition, the park seems to have some deal breakers like the most asinine rain policy I have ever heard of(that can potentially ruin a trip if you go at the wront time), and extremely long lines, not helped by the fact that it is a very popular park and it lacks a Fast Pass system (unless you count the rediculously expensive VIP program). Personally I hate long lines since my home park (BGA) has spoiled me with short waits for years, so I really like the idea of being able to skip lines at the Six Flags parks with their reasonable priced QBots. The thought of having to wait an hour plus at every major coaster at Cedar Point, assuming I visit during the summer, makes me question whether or not it would be an enjoyable experience or extremely stressful trying to make sure I get all of the major credits in.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, please share them.

On to another set of questions. Despite my concerns, I still don't think that I would pass up a trip to Cedar Point. So I have a few, probably obvious, questions for you people that have been to the park recently:

1) What will the crowds be like in June - early July?

2) If I visit the park for 2 days, will I have enough time to do everything?

3) Is the Hotel Breakers worth it for the 1 hour morning ERT?

4) What kind of lines should I expect, assuming I visit on weekdays (Mon. - Thur.) for the major attractions.

5) What is the chance of rain in Ohio during these months?

6) And finally, as more of a subjective question, do you think that Cedar Point has a better collection of coasters than say SFMM or Six Flags Great Adventure?

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been to both Cedar Point and Great Adventure, I say go with Great Adventure. The coaster selection is better, and SFGADV was just more enjoyable. Since you are going on a weekday, crowds won't be bad, but I wouldn't expect them to be light either. However, weeknights should be light, so you'll probably be able to get many rides in the final two hours of the day. While SFGADV has fewer coasters, their collection seems more complete, and SFGADV's coasters are better than those of the same type at CP. They also have what looks like a great water park(I didn't have time to visit), and the only thing the park lacks is a drop tower. The only thing is that it is in the middle of nowhere...

You don't have to stay at Breakers to get ERT. You can stay at the much cheaper Breakers Express and get the same ERT.

Crowds in June should not be too brutal. The major rides like MF, TTD,Maverick are going to have decent lines. But some of the lesser rides shouldn't be too packed.

Two days in June should be enough to do everything.

I think you will find that by reading through even just a few of the many Cedar Point trip reports you'll find a number of your questions already answered. But here's some short answers to help you out...

Busy. Not as bad as mid-July or August but expect to wait at least 30 to 60 minutes per major ride.

Yes

If Maverick actually opens and it's not raining, then yes.

4) What kind of lines should I expect, assuming I visit on weekdays (Mon. - Thur.) for the major attractions.

See the answer to question #1

Expect rain at some point during any Cedar Point experience. If you do not have rain during your visit to Cedar Point, it's not a true visit to the park.

6) And finally, as more of a subjective question, do you think that Cedar Point has a better collection of coasters than say SFMM or Six Flags Great Adventure?

Great Adventure has El Toro. 'Nuff said. Otherwise, please look at the recent thread on CP vs. SFMM for all the ride and park comparisons you would ever want.

--Robb

I haven't been to either CP or SFGA (yet!) but after reading so much about both parks I would go with Cedar Point for the following coastering reasons:

Magnum XL-200 - pretty much a 'must' for any enthusiast

Mantis - not the best perhaps, but a good stand-up nonetheless

Maverick - new, unique, highly-rated coaster

Millennium Force - consistently rated one of the best in the world

Raptor - a very good B&M inverted coaster design

Top Thrill Dragster - similar to KK, but with lap bars!

Wicked Twister - unique impluse coaster

And the park has its classics:

Blue Streak - quite a good woodie from what I hear

Corkscrew - first coaster with three inversions

Disaster Transport - there aren't many of these around...

Gemini - fun racer, once the tallest coaster in the world

Wildcat - it's a Schwarzkopf after all!

For non-coastering reasons, Cedar Point obviously has an excellent collection of rides and certainly dwarfs Six Flags in that department. I must get my A into G and get there!

I have been to Cedar Point and SFMM, and am going to GADV for the fist time this summer. Personally, between CP and SFMM, I'd choose SFMM. CP, though is still a real quality park and definitely worth taking a trip from anywhere to visit. CP definitely has the better flat ride collection.

Somewhat crowded, but definitely bearable. If you plan right and accordingly, crowds shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, more than enough time.

I say it is. It's very convenient, being right on site and all. If you want to go cheaper, though, look into staying at the Breakers Express. You have to drive down the road into the park, but you still get the 1 hour ERT, and I believe that your parking gets reimbursed, not sure about that one, though, could be wrong.

Average CP lines. Not too long of waits, but no walk-ons. I'd say roughly 2 hours for Maverick, roughly 1-2 hours for MF/TTD/Raptor/Mantis. Once again, if you plan accordingly, you can easily get everything done, and then some. Also, some points in the day when most of the GP is at lunch/dinner or whatever, you'll encounter walk-ons. I'd suggest eating at odd times.

Rain is hit or miss. The chance is usually somewhat high, but don't let that dampen your trip. That's one good thing about SFMM, you have a much less chance of it raining.

No, I don't I like SFMM's collection slightly better, and from pictures and research, GADV's looks slight;ly better as well. Don't get me wrong, though, they are very close and each park has a world class collection of coasters.

I say it is. It's very convenient, being right on site and all. If you want to go cheaper, though, look into staying at the Breakers Express. You have to drive down the road into the park, but you still get the 1 hour ERT, and I believe that your parking gets reimbursed, not sure about that one, though, could be wrong.

Parking is included at Breakers Express only if you get a ticket package.

If you get just the room, parking is not refunded.

Go to Great America, Gurnee!

hehe Really, though, if you have never been to CP, go. It's big, nice, well-run. A HUGE selection of mostly visually impressive mediocre rides.

Great Adventure? I've had mostly bad luck with that park. Last time, while waiting for my flash pass to tell me to ride El Toro (I am totally against the whole idea of flash pass, but I was alone and the combined wait of Toro and Ka was 5 hours, I wanted to ride them, and get out of that hole!) I actually couldn't find a place to sit! I ended up sitting down on the pavement by the geese by the ferris wheel. (b/c I could not find a bench to sit on, also so many rides were closed, employees didn't know where bathrooms were, it was horrible.)

I've had 2 good experiences at the park, one was when Chiller (Robin only) was running, with no line and lap bars.

Go to CP, just not on a saturday.

You will get MUCH MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK at places like Indiana Beach and Holidayworld, but if you are easily swayed by big places that cost alot, go to CP or GAdventure. In between in Great America, the best of both worlds. Kick ass woodie and kick ass steel.

The crowd usually stays the same, except for Saturday and Thursday. Those were the heavier days in my experiances. But two days is enough to get the rides in.

The ERT helps get in one or two rides before public comes on in.

Be prepared to wait 30-60minutes for all popular coasters. Maverick's line will rarely go below one hour.

If it's forecasted to rain, dont plan on going.

As far as CP being best/better? I really like CP. It's nothing but a great collection of fun coasters, IMO. Maverick, MilF, TTD, Magnum, Raptor, Gemini....all great coasters in my book.

Oh, you will need a locker to put things in on:

-MilF

-TTD

And...? Someone help me out, I forget. Other rides like

-Maverick

-Gemini

-Magnum

-Mantis

-Raptor

You can put your things in to the side. Just go in with an open mind on all the rides, and have a great time!

If it's forecasted to rain, dont plan on going.

Yeah, that's what's nice about going so early in May like I do every year. I don't actually book the hotel until I can see the 7-day weather forecast, lol. I feel bad for the people who have to book it so far in advance, because they go during prime time, only to get there and it's pouring. Anyone planning on going, I'd suggest trying as hard as you can to go on weekdays in May. Not only are there much less crowds (practically everything is a walk-on), but it's cheaper, too.

While I encourage everyone to ride a coaster before passing a judgement, I would disagree with this statement.

I don't think I even gave Magnum a "courtesy ride" during my last visit. The ride does nothing for me any more other than re-arrange my kidneys.

--Robb

While I encourage everyone to ride a coaster before passing a judgement, I would disagree with this statement.

I don't think I even gave Magnum a "courtesy ride" during my last visit. The ride does nothing for me any more other than re-arrange my kidneys.

--Robb

YEAH?! I have read loads in favour of this one so that is interesting to hear. Of course it's an Arrow so perhaps I shouldn't find it surprising...

One thing about Magnum XL-200: it feels LIKE A ROLLERCOASTER!

It's fast, bouncy rough, has airtime, faults, it's skids alot. It gives you something that all the new B&M and Intamin rides can't. A kick butt ride! Magnum is great, it actually feels like a rollercoaster.

Gemini is a smaller version of Magnum. Blue Streak has left the house. Corkscrew is kick butt, ride the front

--Robb

Yeah, it's basically a hit or miss. I took my friend to CP for the first time last year and he is about 5 inches taller than me (he's roughly 6'5", I'm roughly 6'0") and he hated it. Because he has longer legs, it was brutal on his thighs, I guess it didn't help that we sat in the ejector seat, though. I, personally, like Magnum and can ride it over and over without pain.

I was planning on going to CP this summer too for the first time but I'm too wooried about the long lines & rain since I was planning to go end of July/early August. I guess I could hold off on CP & wait a few more years since I'm not in a big hurry. I'm more excited about going to SFMM. I also can't wait to go to the other Six Flags parks someday even more than CP.

As stated, typical CP crowds. Expect 45-65 on MF, Raptor, TTD, and a little more on Maverick. Dunno about Maggie, as both times I was there it was a walk-on, and that was including a Saturday in July... Smaller rides will have much shorter lines, though Wildcat has pitiful capacity.

Yep. On my Saturday in late July, my friend and I hit all adult coasters except Wildcat, Disaster Transport, and Blue Streak (which we sacrificed for Skyhawk, 2 MaxAirs, reride on MF, and 2 rerides on Raptor). No ERT either.

I'm going in a couple weeks, and I'm staying at the cheaper Breakers Express. Still get the ERT, with the ticket package you get a parking voucher, and it's only about a 5 min drive max to the parking lot. But I would say either one is worth the extra hour.

See #1

CP weather never seems consistent with Ohio weather, in that CP is always overcast or raining at some point every day. Even if you get stuck in rain for a while, though, I still think 2 days will be enough.

I couldn't tell you. I'm partial to CP, though I must admit I'm an inversion junkie, so SFMM makes me drool. GAdv looks sweet as well, and offers mostly different ride experiences (El Toro...mmmm...).

Definitely make a trip to Cedar Point. The only reason I would go to Six Flags Great Adventure is because I've never been, and I've already gone to Cedar Point several times.

I know people complain about the rides (me included), but the thing about Cedar Point is just that--the rides do NOT make the experience at Cedar Point. The atmosphere is beautiful, the place is huge, and even though the rides could be much better, they still are a lot of fun.

Apparently the rain policy is bullsh*t, but I think that's because of how quickly the rain can turn into lightning storms, (honestly the weather can go from sunny without a cloud in the sky, to rain and lightning in under 30 minutes). Get some of their signature grub around the park, their steak fries with vinegar are my favorite. The park also has one of the last 1st Gen Intamin drop rides in the world.

Honestly I've never left Cedar Point and had a horrible day. There's a lot to do, some really fun rides, and its a "must go" park for any coaster fan, in my opinion.

I strongly suggest you take a trio to the Point. It's an enthusiast MUST. Rain or shine, it's still my favorite amusement park!

I suggest you try your hardest to make it to the park before June 24th. The only LONG lines you will encounter will be TTD (approx. 1 hours), Millie (approx. 45min), and Maverick (but can be avoided if you get the ERT...)

If you spend the full 2 days wisely, then YES. You may even have time for some re-rides...

In my opinion, YES. Whenever we make the trip to CP, we always stay at Hotel Breakers. If possible, I'd try to get a room in the older part of the hotel (Ben-air section or something?) It may not be as clean and fancy, but you RIGHT there at the Magnum entrance, and ERT on Maverick will save you a 2 hour wait!

(Look at first answer...)

Plan on rain. Don't eat a big meal, because that will give you something to do during the downtime. It will rain, and it will blow over...

I've only been to CP, but, I know that SFMM's coasters are always experiencing extensive downtime, while CP's coasters are very reliable MOST of the time....

Hope that helped!

I don't remember it raining that much through late June and July. Typically May and Aug/Sept were the rainy months. I never took my rain gear off the first 4 weeks I worked there.

It also depends on the summer. Ohio is known to either be extremely rainy, or in a drought.

June crowds are pretty decent. It's not insanely full. My suggestion is to go on Gay day. I'm not gay, (and not inferring you are) but the lines seem to be drastically shorter on that particular day.

You should be able to ride all the coasters in 2 days. It depends on when you end up going though. Definately hit up Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, Maverick, and Magnum XL-200. Blue Streak is a great woodie too.

It's definately worth staying at a CP hotel for the extra hour. You can hit up Millennium Force, Maverick, Iron Dragon, Skyhawk, and Raptor first thing in the morning.

I've had considerably short wait times during weekdays in June. The longest I waited in 2007 was 3 hours for Maverick, and that was when it broke down several times while waiting. With the starlight pass, I was able to get 11 of the 17 coasters in.

The chane of rain is iffy. You can't really tell. However, you're screwed if it does rain with CP's rain policy.

I think all three parks are great. However, Cedar Point has always been my favorite, and I love every ride there.