TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Updates

^ We should be so lucky. Just SF painting over the parking lot underneath would be a miracle.

SFDK is my home park, so I've already been a couple of times this season. In addition to some refurbing, there seems to have been a major improvement in attitude - ops and other staff have been notably friendly and efficient...though, given the Swine Flu thingy, I could do without the ops high-fiving all the riders.

And yeah, as a coaster park, SFDK is second-rate. But if you're into looking at walruses and butterflies and dolphins and tigers and stuff (which I am), it makes for a really nice day out, and, apart from SW, BGT, and DAK, is pretty much in a niche all its own.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was the busiest day I've ever witnessed at SFDK. We got the gold Q-bot Flashpass and it worked wonders. We never waited more than about 15 minutes for any of our favorite rides. I heard that Medusa's line was 2 hours. Just about every queue I saw all day long was full and using all switchbacks. I really do feel for all the people that waited in those crazy lines.

Operations were running fairly smoothly and the staff we encountered were all friendly. The ops on THBS would high-five each of the riders as you were ready to be dispatched, and I can't count how many times an employee asked us how our day was going, or simply smiled and wished me happy Father's day.

^ Now I'm really glad I didn't go on a weekend!

I went last Thursday and the lines were anywhere between walk-on and no more than 45 minutes. It was much more crowded than CGA was the day before. I'm curious as to why; I think SFDK is a better park, but that wouldn't really be a plausible reason.

Kong and Cobra were the only walk-ons. Is Cobra always a walk-on? It should be; it's the most boring coaster I've ever been on, and I have several similarly sized ones to compare it to.

Tony Hawk's Big Spin had the longest lines, but Medusa and Boomerang were pretty bad also. Roar and V2 were reasonably quick. I'd say no coaster wait was ever longer than 45 minutes, but more than one was over 20 minutes. I don't think any coaster used one-train operation, fortunately.

I didn't witness too many people using Flash Passes. No more than 10 or 20 people that I personally saw while waiting in various lines, but of course I don't know what the total number was.

^It shouldn't be too bad. If you really just want to get those credits hit up Medusa when you first get to the park(hopefully you will be getting there early) and it would pretty much be a walk on,but there could be a slight wait.

Boomerang is anyones guess. It could have the longest wait in the park or it could be a walk on. Avoid going on it in the afternoon though, it usually is long by then.

For me V2 never really had a long wait. There may be a chance you will be stuck waiting about 20 min but no more than that. Just get on it early.

--Chris

I went to the park today for the first time since I have lived in Southern California (about five years) and I have to say that although the aesthetic changes are lovely, the attitudes of the majority of the employees are awful. Laziness, rudeness, and just a general lack of motivation sums up my experience with the employees - however the animal.. trainers? Were certainly an exception.

Beyond that, I absolutely love the park. The rides are all a lot of fun, and I've always been a sucker for the animal exhibits. I enjoyed myself thoroughly, and am glad I went, despite my less than terrific experiences with the employees.

^^ Funny, SFDK is my home park, and this season I've noticed a definite improvement in the workforce. Still not the best I've seen, but definitely more friendly than it had been, with more hustle and efficiency in the dispatches. Maybe I hit it on good days, or you hit it on a bad day.

^^ Funny, SFDK is my home park, and this season I've noticed a definite improvement in the workforce. Still not the best I've seen, but definitely more friendly than it had been, with more hustle and efficiency in the dispatches. Maybe I hit it on good days, or you hit it on a bad day.
Yeah I think this year they have had the best and fastest operations and have seemed a hell of a lot friendlier then my past visits there.

--Chris

^Everytime I've gone the park was packed! It is real easy to enjoy myself though since there are so many shows and animals to look at. Eventually the lines did die down!

I owe this park a visit sometime this year, I can't wait to check out the new Tiger display.

I went the day after xmas when half of the coasters were closed, yet I had a really fun day, hell dare I say that I even enjoyed Kong?

I am not sure if I have ever hated Kong. I seem to enjoy it more when I don't have to wait more than 15-20 minutes to ride it. And I always find the front to back shuffle as you go through the first 3 inversions to be hilarious and slightly obscene.

I went the day after xmas when half of the coasters were closed, yet I had a really fun day, hell dare I say that I even enjoyed Kong?

It's always that way during Holiday In The Park. It's offseason and only a few rides and certain areas of the park are included in the event (why the admission price is also significantly reduced). It's mainly about the holiday offerings, but hopefully as the event gains more popularity, they can someday justify eventually opening/operating the entire park.

And Medusa west eats Scream for breakfast.

Good to hear my baby getting some love! Still the best Left Coast sit down looper IMO. Although now I guess we can all start calling her just Medusa? Or maybe now, Medusa North?

Place was definitely craaazy packed last Sunday, huge lines for everything. Including all the food stands, was good to see those cash registers reeling! Hopefully busy registers in Vallejo will deter any potential sell off incase SF does end up having to shed more parks or assets (well, they can sell off Kong if it'll help any!).

It's interesting that some people were displeased with the employees this year. In my experience, all the employees have been at least average. Some were very friendly, spirited and knowledgeable. I've only gone twice, so maybe I'm not in the best position to report. However, I thought it was interesting because I was expecting a really rude and trashy atmosphere when I visited the first time, and I got basically the opposite.

^^I'm in the majority with regards to Kong. It's rough, short, and boring. The only fun part is the lift hill, and that probably only stands out to me because I've only been on a few inverted coasters.

I always enjoy Kong too, my whole family does. The only tim we don't enjoy it is when the park starts to close and no one is in line so we just stay on and ride it 15 times. Bad idea.

--Chris

I'm visiting from down south on Monday July 16. Coasters are a priority! We don't have a full day, probably open to 4 or 5 pm. On a mid-summer weekday, would we be better off with Flashpasses?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I went last Thursday and had just an awesome time. I was so happy to see all the coasters up and running (it pushed my credit count over 50, Medusa was number 50). I went on a promotional day, Boys Like Girls was playing so it was decently crowded, Medusa was about 30 minutes, Roar 15, etc. Luckily my cousin and I chose not to go to the concert so it was like we had the whole park to ourselves, Medusa, V2, and Roar had a maximum of a 5 minute wait. Kong was a walk on, although we chose to ride in the back...never again will I do that. Overall it was a great day, there were the high fiving ride ops for Tony Hawk and the park just had a really great atmosphere to it, the coasters are also great even if there arent too many of them. SFDK definitely earns my stamp of approval

Favorite quotes from the day:

"That was almost as fast as Tony Hawk" Said some guy walking off of Medusa

"Did you know Boys Like Girls was on Medusa?" Said some kid like 3 times

Odin's Temple of the Tiger is officially open! The park sent out a few photos and a video showing off the new tiger exhibit and show.

odin_opening3.jpg.28d2e01d1151c67dad82a01fc08be591.jpg

The Temple's namesake, Odin, dives into the new 26,000 gallon pool.

odin_opening2.jpg.ad1b3ebdbf222941da68e19916873c12.jpg

Nalin "cuts" the ribbon, officially open the Temple.

odin_opening1.jpg.8c9bc8459eef81cd2cdbe3feeeb4d58e.jpg

Cubs Nalin and Akasha make their way down the steps of the Temple.

^ Thanks. All I needed to know. So I deffinately won't plan to go day after Christmas or any day in December. Maybe September-Labor Day. Is everything open on Labor Day? & If I were to get the Gold Q-Bot, I can re-ride the some favorite rides several times like let's say I want to go on the water rides 4 times, Medusa,Roar,V2 like 10 times I can do that?