TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Neat stuff. If Ccron10's layout does end up being the actual ride layout, it would very well be a very fun ride. The one part of the layout that especially interests me is the banked turn on the trip back to the station. I'm about 75% sure that it could end up as a Stengel Dive. Not to mention, ridewise, it could make for an awesome headchopper with Comet's route back to the station.

Another part of the research I've latched onto is the section in the most recent study. "'isolated gravity fatigue' occurring briefly within high-speed frictionless vacuums" could be a tip-off to Intimidator 305's "twisties" with reports of abrupt airtime all throught the train, and the coaster very well looks like it could have a high-speed turn immediately after the drop. Not to mention, the two Overbanked Turns shown in Ccron10's layout...

Anyway, I've been following this "Game" being put on by Hershey for a long time. I've only been there once, but it was an excellent experience, although I really didn't get to ride all of the big-name coasters. I'm looking forward to what happens next and I can't wait to go back to Hershey when the coaster's done!

^ I don't have a problem with ANY park adding a new, thrilling ride. I just think cramming them on top of each other looks tacky and diminishes the theming and/or atmosphere. As eddie200330 wrote:

by eddie200330 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:38 am

Oh dear God, there goes the classic feel of Comet Hollow!!!! I really hope this isn't how it is gonna turn out.......GAWDY

But I'm a coaster whore, so I'd probably end up riding anything they add. *Naughty Panda*

Neat stuff. If Ccron10's layout does end up being the actual ride layout, it would very well be a very fun ride. The one part of the layout that especially interests me is the banked turn on the trip back to the station. I'm about 75% sure that it could end up as a Stengel Dive. Not to mention, ridewise, it could make for an awesome headchopper with Comet's route back to the station.

Another part of the research I've latched onto is the section in the most recent study. "'isolated gravity fatigue' occurring briefly within high-speed frictionless vacuums" could be a tip-off to Intimidator 305's "twisties" with reports of abrupt airtime all throught the train, and the coaster very well looks like it could have a high-speed turn immediately after the drop. Not to mention, the two Overbanked Turns shown in Ccron10's layout...

Anyway, I've been following this "Game" being put on by Hershey for a long time. I've only been there once, but it was an excellent experience, although I really didn't get to ride all of the big-name coasters. I'm looking forward to what happens next and I can't wait to go back to Hershey when the coaster's done!

I don't think this ride will have any over-bank turns honestly. You know those epic turn you see on I305... yeah, those.

The last message was that "Dr M Coupone" had information....maybe that is the DOCTOR we are supposed to INTERVIEW....

I'm thinking the R is actually an N.

Somehow, I'm thinking these words will lead us to maybe something similar found in the first study maybe using the search bar again.

70609875_atomicpicture.jpg.dbd138a963bd72d4c5d81d8c5e0919ab.jpg

Could there be a dash in between the two words?

What about the guys in the lab coats, couldn't they be considered Dr's? Did they "leak" anything when those guys talked to them back in the beginning of all this at the park that day?

They didn't really leak anything to us except for surveying us about our favorite drop rides and how water should play into a new attraction. But the 212 and 196 numbers do sound right to be the total height and drop size. Given that this coaster is to be built on a flood plain, the extra 16 feet will give enough space so that if the creek does flood, it won't damage the ride.

212' and 196' do sound like height/drop heights, though. Especially since this thing is supposed to be 212.8' tall.

If that's what the site is saying, than I would bet that that is exactly what we're looking at. 212 ft high off of the water level, and a 196 foot drop, giving 16 feet (which I think is a lot) of clearence. I hope the "-196" refers to something else, but I don't know what else it could be.

I just think that building a ride that is statistically smaller than all of the megacoasters in the region makes this ride less marketable. I was hoping for something in the 230 ft tall' date=' 5000+ ft long category, like recent B&M installations, something they could market as the largest in the Northeast.[/quote']

212 feet would make it the tallest coaster in Pennsylvania, taller than Superman at SFA, taller than anything at BGW, and only 2nd to 305 in the Mid-Atlantic region. You would have to go all the way to CP, KI, or CW to find something taller, and Hershey doesn't even come close to drawing from the same crowd as those parks. Nothing in New England is taller than that, either. The only "exception" would be Phantom's Revenge, which has a 220+ foot drop, but that's not a huge difference.

Height is one thing, but the more important stat is the ride's drop. A 196 foot drop is great, but that would officially make it the shortest mega-coaster drop in the region:

Attraction 2012: 196'

Superman: 205'

Steel Force: 205'

Phantom's Revenge: 230'

Nitro: 215'

Bizarro: 221'

I-305: 300'

In addition, it's only 16 feet taller than one that they already have! Storm Runner has 180 foot, 90 degree drop. This one will be less steep and only 16 feet taller. In reality, Storm Runner could still have the best drop in the park. That's kinda' lame...

I stand by what I said, that Hershey is coming up short again on a steel coaster, in both height and length, based on the information out there right now. I just hope it delivers a heck of a ride in the little time it will take to navigate the course.

As far as ride length goes, it's tough to tell just from looking at a bird's eye view of the layout and tell exactly how long it is. If it has a lot of airtime hills, that will increase the length. We're also talking about a park that doesn't have a ton of space to put in a mile-long coaster. None of their other coasters are long at all, so it is what it is.

I agree that we can't tell the true length of the ride from the leaked layout, but if you're familiar with the construction site, like many of us are, it does look to be a short ride. If it is more than 4000 feet long, I will be surprised. In addition, it looks like there is a brake run before the U-turn around the Comet's lift, making the track length of the actual ride even shorter. I would estimate that there is 500+ feet of 'dead' track (in this case brakes, 180 degree turn, brakes, station, and lift track).

I don't mean to be overly negative. I love Hersheypark, and I feel fortunate to have it so close to home. I think it has a great collection of rides, and some pretty good roller coasters, particularly in the wooden category. For those that don't live close to the park, I can understand why you enjoy your rare visits, and think of it as one of the country's better parks. I understand the "Gees, just be glad you're getting a big Intamin ride" sentiment.

But there are some of us locals that are just getting tired of seeing a company with millions and millions in resouces repeatedly come up short on the steel coaster side of things (among some other questionable decisions). There are those of us who have been anticipating a megacoaster for many years, wondering if one would ever come. To see one statistically come up short again to similar rides around the country, it's a little disappointing at this point.

I find myself hoping the this isn't the megacoaster. As much as I want one at Hersheypark, I'm hoping this is a wing-rider. Those stats and that layout would make a great one of those.

^Stats are for commercials and marketing, they rarely have anything to do with ride quality. And at this point, all we have is a couple numbers that could be the height and drop, and a bird's eye view of the layout. Maverick's 100 foot drop is better than many drops that are 50-60 feet taller than that. Ride length is only a great stat when a ride can keep up its intensity and momentum throughout the entire ride. A ride can be a mile long and crawl into the brakes, and then people complain about it having a crappy ending. A ride can be short like Storm Runner and kick ass the entire time, and I'm fine with that. I think ride length is probably the most overrated stat about coasters, just ahead of height and drop stats. Nobody can honestly tell the difference between a 196' drop and a 200' drop, or a 205' drop. At the end of the day, they can do what Kings Island did with Diamondback and market it as the tallest coaster in the park. Not many regular people are going to go to more than one or two parks in the entire year, and if they see this new attraction is the tallest in the park, that's exciting enough for them.

I do have a great idea though, but this will probably escape a large majority of people. How about we wait until we ride the actual ride before calling it a disappointment? People were VERY bitchy about 305's layout when it was released, and now fanboys everywhere are messing up their underoos at the very thought of the ride.

EDIT: And just to add on, a park can only work with the space it has. It's not as simple as just building it over to the golf course or buying more land. There's all kinds of hoops to jump through to do crap like that, and 99% of the time it's not worth the time or money. They're going to build the best possible attraction they can with the space and resources they have. This isn't Roller Coaster Tycoon, this is real life. It's a tad more complicated.

^Stats are for commercials and marketing, they rarely have anything to do with ride quality. And at this point, all we have is a couple numbers that could be the height and drop, and a bird's eye view of the layout. Maverick's 100 foot drop is better than many drops that are 50-60 feet taller than that. Ride length is only a great stat when a ride can keep up its intensity and momentum throughout the entire ride. A ride can be a mile long and crawl into the brakes, and then people complain about it having a crappy ending. A ride can be short like Storm Runner and kick A$$ the entire time, and I'm fine with that. I think ride length is probably the most overrated stat about coasters, just ahead of height and drop stats. Nobody can honestly tell the difference between a 196' drop and a 200' drop, or a 205' drop. At the end of the day, they can do what Kings Island did with Diamondback and market it as the tallest coaster in the park. Not many regular people are going to go to more than one or two parks in the entire year, and if they see this new attraction is the tallest in the park, that's exciting enough for them.

No doubt stats are used in marketing, but it's not fair to say that they don't represent how good a ride or drop is. Numbers don't lie, and they end up representing the things we love most about many of the best coasters out there.

Sure there are lame long rides, just as there are great short rides. But Hershey doesn't have great short rides (I disagree with you about Storm Runner, by the way). The have 'ok' steel coasters because they all seem too short. If Storm Runner didn't end so abruptly right after it was getting good, I would like it more. If Great Bear didn't 'auto-complete' at the end, it would be one of my favorite inverts. I find Fahrenheit to be a really fun ride, but it has ridiculous capacity. All three are the result of short-changing the design. I worry that it will be more of the same with Attraction 2012 (aka Draco - my bet for the name - look it up).

Agreed that you can't tell the difference between a 196 foot drop and a 205, but that does hurt the marketing of the ride doesn't it? At least in our circles it does. True that the GP really doesn't care, and the Hersheypark can market this coaster as the tallest in PA. But let's face it, isn't it a bit of a disappointment that the drop isn't greater than 200 feet? All we heard since October was 212 ft in height. For it to stop 16 feet short of the ground/water kinda' sucks.

I guess we just have different tastes in coasters. I prefer a long first drop and a long ride. And I worry that I'm not getting it with this new one.

I do have a great idea though, but this will probably escape a large majority of people. How about we wait until we ride the actual ride before calling it a disappointment? People were VERY bitchy about 305's layout when it was released, and now fanboys everywhere are messing up their underoos at the very thought of the ride.

EDIT: And just to add on, a park can only work with the space it has. It's not as simple as just building it over to the golf course or buying more land. There's all kinds of hoops to jump through to do crap like that, and 99% of the time it's not worth the time or money. They're going to build the best possible attraction they can with the space and resources they have. This isn't Roller Coaster Tycoon, this is real life. It's a tad more complicated.

No one's calling this ride a disappointment. I just said that the information we have now is a little disappointing for me. I've said many times that I hope the ride itself is great, and that I realize the ride has potential to be great. But, I'm entitled to have my reservations about it at this point, and I'm not wrong for feeling that way.

Don't talk to me about RCT and real life. You have no idea who I am or what experience I have in the industry or with HE&R as a company. They had the land and they have resources to build whatever they want.

I agree with you about I-305, though. I remember being one of the very few that really like the layout when it was released. I could believe people were complaining.

The megalite argument is invalid. Those rides are for parks that want a megacoaster but have limitations, whether they be financial or township-imposed. Neither is the case for Hersheypark. I'm sure they are great rides, but I'd rather have a full sized megacoaster any day.

Whether the drop is slightly above or below 200' may be a big deal to us, but it is definitely less of a big deal to the GP. They're still going to come in packs to ride it, and many of us are going to ride it, and it will make Hershey that much more impressive of a park.

You are arguing about a speculative coaster that you do not even know the statistics of. Why are you complaining? I have high hopes for this coaster, and you are bashing it before you even know what it does. I'm just saying that this ride could be just as awesome as a Mega Lite and you do not necessarily need the height to have a great coaster. All the top Mega Coasters are around this height anyway, a lot even shorter. I think it is unfair of you to judge a ride that you don't even know anything about.

In addition, it's only 16 feet taller than one that they already have! Storm Runner has 180 foot, 90 degree drop. This one will be less steep and only 16 feet taller. In reality, Storm Runner could still have the best drop in the park. That's kinda' lame...

I stand by what I said, that Hershey is coming up short again on a steel coaster, in both height and length, based on the information out there right now. I just hope it delivers a heck of a ride in the little time it will take to navigate the course.

Need I remind you that Goliath at Walabi World, which is Robb's #2 coaster, has only a 151' drop? And that the 4 Mega-lite coasters, which Robb ties for #4, only have a 100' drop?

I've got to chime in with a few thoughts. Like a few of you, I was under whelmed when the 212 foot height and 196 foot drop was theorized, until I thought of Mitch's steel poll with Bizzaro and Expedition GeForce as the two (2) top coasters in the world. If the numbers pan out, this ride would fall between both both coaster, and certainly could be as long as Expedition's 4,000 foot length. When I saw the last RIT posting with all the triangles, my first thought was Intamin track, so I'm still very optimistic this ride will deliver for both enthusiasts and the GP.

Regarding marketing of this new ride, with SFGA so close, I think it's pointless to focus on records and believe at this point the park is focusing on the ride itself as the draw.

I had gotten DOCTOR-INTERVIEW from the letters in the molecules, and tried that everywhere I could think of. I even sent an email to DOCTOR-INTERVIEW@rideinstititue.com, which got me a reply from JVD telling me that I was one character off from "moving this clue ahead".

Before I could get to it, someone at KeystoneThrills figured out that it was actually DOCTOR_INTERVIEW which, when you search for it, brings you to http://www.rideinstitute.com/pressResources.php

I decided to see what would happen if I forwarded a message to the aformentioned address... And I got an auto-response back...

Thank you for your email. Your inquiry will be forwarded to the appropriate department and you should receive a reply in 2-3 business days.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Media Relations Team

Ride Institute of Technology

Now here's the thing: There's the F'ing DASHES AGAIN. All twelve of them. Twelve F'ing dashes...

(Before I even get on the freakin' plane to Harrisburg to ride this thing, I'll be insane from this F'ing challenge.)

R.D.

Certifiably Insane Games Forum Moderator.