TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Spring Creek Smokehouse is very good and it has large portions, but it is on the pricey side. If you want to leave the park, Chocolate World right outside the front gate has a large foodcourt and we found the prices to be very reasonable. On our last trip, we ate at least one meal a day at the Chocolate World foodcourt.

Thanks guys. I did kinda look into the food court at Chocolate World and since we skipped entirely last time that I suppose we have to stop in at some point this weekend, so maybe we'll just make it our dinner stop, though I'm always up for good BBQ if the Smokehouse is worth it, just seems insane to pay $15 for a sandwich and then extra for a side of mac & cheese, etc. Not to mention they'll likely get me for another $4 for a soda.

I mean I live in the city and we pay an average of $20-30 a piece for a decent entree+beer, at a good place. I know park food is gonna be expensive, but I wanna know its gonna be good if I'm spending that kinda money. I thought Six Flags was bad charging $10-13 for below average nachos/frozen chicken fingers and fries.

Really wish those Chickies had adult beverages, at least I know what I'm getting there is going to be decent-to-good. No thanks on the Subway, I like my rolls without yoga mat, thanks. Never had Moe's - good?

I've been looking into cheaper options for food as well since I've been debating getting a season pass for next year. Doesn't really seem like there are many options but the meal tickets are 15 bucks and includes one entree, one side and one souvenir cup. I know it's not beer but considering the other options this is the best I've found so far. It includes the smokehouse too, if any of other local visitors know of any other options I'd love to know as well.

They list what you can get on here...

http://www.hersheypark.com/things-to-do/dining/meal-tickets.php

I kind of recall that the smokehouse place offers a side with your sandwich (possibly even two) and if you get the sandwich without sides, it's cheaper (not advertised). It's probably the "best" place to eat in the park if you dont want the standard fries/burgers/hot dogs, but its not really the greatest thing in the world.

if you don't mind leaving the park, see if you can take the shuttle to Hershey Lodge - the sit down restaurants in there are all decent to very good (and one (the Bear's Den) is themed to an ice hockey rink!).

and the bar by the big fireplace lets you have massive Chocolate Martinis!

IMG_0708.thumb.jpg.e481e52ef8c7803eec4d9b7ff9aab2a9.jpg

Hersheypark's PR staff sent us a press release about the new company President!

The Board of Directors of Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Company (HE&R) has announced the promotion of John Lawn to the role of President of the Company. Lawn’s new role became effective September 30, 2016, and is in addition to his current role as Chief Operating Officer. This announcement is the culmination of the succession planning process that current Chief Executive Officer and past President, William F. Simpson, Jr., and the Board initiated when Simpson notified the Board last June of his intention to retire on January 5, 2018.

“Since joining our Company in 2004, John has a proven track record of developing high performing hospitality teams that continually provide world-class service while producing outstanding financial results. Regardless of whether a guest is at one of our lodging properties, restaurants, golf courses, or enjoying the Hersheypark Entertainment Complex - John's focus on hospitality does not waiver,” said Simpson.

Lawn began his career with HE&R in 2004 as Food and Beverage Director at Hersheypark and became Assistant General Manager of Hersheypark in 2005. In 2010 Lawn was promoted to Associate Vice President of Operations, and then to the role of Vice President of Operations later that year. Lawn was elected Chief Operating Officer in 2015 and is responsible for management of all the Company’s operating divisions.

“It has been an incredible privilege for me to be part of this remarkable team and outstanding organization – and its core purpose to help children in need,” said Lawn. “I owe so much to the unbelievably dedicated people here at HE&R and the support of leaders like Bill Simpson and our Board of Directors. I look forward to doing everything within my ability to further enhance and develop our outstanding team and continue to provide unparalleled experiences for our guests.”

Prior to joining HE&R, Lawn spent more than a decade working in a number of management roles in the sports, entertainment and hospitality industries, including General Manager of Centerplate at FedExField in Landover, Maryland and Executive Director of Major Events for Ridgewells, in Bethesda, Maryland.

Lawn currently serves on the Board of Four Diamonds and The Pennsylvania Family Support Alliance. He was previously on the Board of Children’s Miracle Network and Junior Achievement of Central Pennsylvania.

2115069572_JohnLawnHeadShot.thumb.JPG.340cfcc328fb995717d443d2c26a910a.JPG

Edited by robbalvey

So is the Reese's dark ride totally stupid? Worth spending valuable coaster time on it? Any other worthwhile flats besides the flyers & whip? I feel like I'm missing something. We did the pirate ship ride last time and it was terrible lol. Is the Claw ride any good? If its as crappy as Dorney's I won't waste my time. Thanks!

So is the Reese's dark ride totally stupid? Worth spending valuable coaster time on it? Any other worthwhile flats besides the flyers & whip? I feel like I'm missing something. We did the pirate ship ride last time and it was terrible lol. Is the Claw ride any good? If its as crappy as Dorney's I won't waste my time. Thanks!

The Reese's ride is absolutely terrible, so don't waste your time on it. The Claw and the Howler are fun, but they aren't must-dos. I would recommend just sticking to the coasters and Coal Cracker.

It is astonishing in every way possible. Its like you're shooting at cardboard cutouts of stuff drawn for Sports Illustrated for Kids. They should hand you some sort of collectible miniposter at the exit featuring sports stars of the mid 90s like Clyde Drexler. Your life is poorer for not having experienced it.

Howler are fun, but they aren't must-dos

Now that Falcon is gone I honestly think Howler is the best flat in the park. Then again any flat ride that I can spin at such ungodly speeds that you can't walk straight once you get off is awesome in my book.

Howler are fun, but they aren't must-dos

Now that Falcon is gone I honestly think Howler is the best flat in the park. Then again any flat ride that I can spin at such ungodly speeds that you can't walk straight once you get off is awesome in my book.

Whenever I see a ride like Howler I always get on and spin with my body's day supply of energy

then when im with a kid they say they can handle it but make me stop before I even reach the speed of a gravitron

In other news...

This was just posted in the Hersheypark History Group, According to a report in The Hummelstown Sun (which you need a subscription to view online, hence the lack of a link)

The Hershey Company has requested Hersheypark to update a small portion of the Monorail which runs in front of the main entrance of 19 East Chocolate. Hersheypark will oblige The Hershey Company's request and relocate the track slightly north of its current position where the "downtown station" of the Monorail exists. Furthermore, the pedestrian walkway that connects the "downtown station" platform to the public walkway, appears likely to be removed.

From the article: "In addition to the relocation of the monorail, the Derry Township Design Advisory Board will be reviewing a plan to demolish the pedestrian ramp that connects the monorail station to the street at the old Hershey Drug Store building."

Is the Claw ride any good? If its as crappy as Dorney's I won't waste my time. Thanks!

I think it runs a better program than the one at Dorney, but it probably pales in comparison to the one at Morey's (which I still haven't had a chance to ride) because of the restraints. I'd say give it a spin anyway, the lines usually move through fairly quickly.

I'm afraid Moreys has ruined all the other frisbee/claw/pendulum rides for me. Not only the restraints but the insane program they run. I urge all flat ride enthusiasts to visit for a ride on IT, and also their flyers and drop tower.

I'm gonna try to give Hershey's a spin.

Interesting. So the monorail will no longer go out of the park downtown?

sounds like it still will, it just won't run in front of that building anymore.

it doesn't stop at the "downtown station" anyways. . so really sounds like they just want HP to move the track.

(based on that little blub that Boldikus posted)

I'm afraid Moreys has ruined all the other frisbee/claw/pendulum rides for me. Not only the restraints but the insane program they run. I urge all flat ride enthusiasts to visit for a ride on IT, and also their flyers and drop tower.

I'm gonna try to give Hershey's a spin.

If I recall, we enjoyed Hershey's Whip (between Wildcat and Racer)

If you've ridden any other Whip, Hershey's isn't anything to write home about.

Fixed that for you. I've been on five other Whips (Kennywood, Idlewild, Knoebels, Dorney, Camden), all of the classic Mangels variety, and Hershey's is simply...meh?