TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Don't worry guys, Skyrush sucks anyway

... But to be fair I'll probably keep riding until I figure out how to make myself like it. It worked for Magnum Xl 200 after like 15 years.

Ha ha! You suck too!!!!!

Some comments on my trip to Hershey Park this weekend (Saturday, April 2nd):

- Arrived at the park at 9:30am, and although the park seemed to have a good crowd- no where near what a Saturday in the summer would be like!

In terms of the Intamin Collection:

- To this day, I still find it amazing how the park can "shove" coasters into their property!

- First ride of the day was Fahrenheit (I believe Intamin's one and only vertical lift coaster?).....I enjoyed it! (1st time on it) That said- it was a station walk-on, and if I had to spend 1 hour plus to get on it in the middle of the summer.....perhaps I'd be a little disappointed! I'm surprised that more park's this size/limited space haven't installed any of these? Are they cost prohibited? Is there a competitor that does them better? Capacity issues?

- Next, Storm Runner- still lots of fun after "all these years".....I still can't believe that you can walk underneath the launch track; I love the fact that you can stand alongside the launch; how come there are so few of these out there? I believe this was one of the first "Accelerator Coaster with Inversions" made by Intamin?- why aren't there many of them around? I think that they are a lot of fun, and wish my home park (SFGA) had a similar type of ride, to round out their collection

- Skyrush- Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!! Couldn't wait, as I have heard SO MUCH about this ride- and I've never been on it! So my thoughts on it? Wait for it, wait for it.......

Not open right now......ugh!

The woodies:

- Overall comment would be that I appreciate the effort in making sure the trains/cars/seats have the most comfortable cars/padded seats as you can get!

- Least favorite of the three would be The Wildcat: feels like "such a fight" for the train to get around that track! Certainly better than my 1st ride (pre- Millennium Flyer trains), but overall ride was an ehhhh.....too bad, as the location, 1st drop which is elevated on a hill, layout are all decent

- Lightning Racer: I appreciate the design, dual tracks that "interact" with each other, etc......but when it is all said and done, my take on it vs. the "rankings" it receives is way off base- just not my thing I guess (not knocking it so no need to bash/defend please! just sharing my thoughts!!!)

- Comet: I thought this was the best of the bunch! (go figure!).....lots of fun, smooth ride! I had low expectations, but clearly they take good care of this thing!

The Rest:

- Laff Trakk- 5 minute walk-on (it was early in the day!), and I enjoyed this addition! I'm not a "spinning" guy....so the spinning elements were "just right" for me! (and well-done, without making you sick!).....nice addition, but like Fahrenheit, I'd hate to be waiting one plus hour to get on this thing!

- The Great Bear: looks like the GP LOVES this thing.....the best part was the mini helix after the lift! The rest of it was "fine".....nice to have in the park, and it maximizes the heck out of the terrain!

- Trailblazer: so the longest line (for us) of the day (30 minutes)......and best described by my daughter's friend: when we hit the brakes, she screamed out, "Whhhhatttt? That's it?" Well said!

- Sidewinder: no way, not going on it! So my daughter and her friend went on line, I took a "pass" as I learned that there were no free aspirin at the exit! So I am sitting on a bench looking at this thing, and said "the hell with it!" Not too bad of a wait, and when I saw the restraints, I was like "when maybe it won't be so bad!" Props to Hershey for not giving up on this thing, and replacing the trains (since my last visit).....all and all, a pleasant surprise! And no headache!

- SooperDooperLooper: like Sidewinder, lots of props to the Hershey for replacing the trains since my last visit.....all in all, an enjoyable ride, for what it is! My daughter (middle school) got a kick out of the loop....kinda' like seeing a payphone or the "yellow pages"- meaning, like- "what was that?" I did my best to explain that "back in the day" there were no such things as loops, well- I sounded old and we ended the conversation!

- Wild Mouse: what is there to say? It is a wild mouse, always fun! (especially with no wait!)

- Coal Cracker: even though it wasn't the warmest of days (and lots of wind), this was open and we went on it! All good for me.....

Flats:

- I didn't go on any (my daughter and her friend went on a bunch), but anyone who has been to Hershey knows- this park has a great collection of flats that are well-maintained, and what differentiates the park from others.....when my kids were much younger, this was the perfect park for us! I love how the flats/kiddie rides are dispersed everywhere vs. "one section" of the park, so to say

Bottom line:

- I love the setting/charm of Hershey

- A true family-park, which has the right amount of "thrills" mixed in (and by "thrills".....the right type/level for a family park)

- It totally sucks that Skyrush wasn't running at this point in the season (as I highly doubt I plan on heading back to Hershey anytime soon)

- Too bad SF doesn't have the ability/capital/revenue stream to keep their parks in this sort of condition

- I am amazed how they use every inch of space to maximize everything- especially their Intamin collections!

Also, props if anyone has any pizza joint suggestions in Philly or New York. I pizza!

Manhattan: Lombardi's

Brooklyn: L&B Spumoni Gardens

Staten Island: Denino's

I may or may not have planned a quick trip to NYC just so we could go to Lombardi's again.

I really hope this isn't true as I love the fear on that coaster! Nothing beats it's first season though. I talked my daughter into riding it (Oh just get on it has no loops) but I still remember while she was screaming "DADDY DADDY DADDDDDDYY", I was thinking "Jesus Christ if I'm scared as hell, what is she thinking????"

LMAO!!

Don't worry guys, Skyrush sucks anyway

... But to be fair I'll probably keep riding until I figure out how to make myself like it. It worked for Magnum Xl 200 after like 15 years.

Eat something! You need to grow some meat on those bony thighs SkinnyBill!

Nothing beats it's first season though. I talked my daughter into riding it (Oh just get on it has no loops) but I still remember while she was screaming "DADDY DADDY DADDDDDDYY", I was thinking "Jesus Christ if I'm scared as hell, what is she thinking????"

A little late...just catching up on stuff, but this has to be the best thing I have read in a long time!!!!! I am sorry if I laugh to hard at this, but this is me up and down. I have a 9 year old that is still scared of coasters and we drug her on the sooperdooperLooper for her first "big girl" ride and she freaked out. Best day of my life!!!!

No worries! I probably could have stated how I know. But I saw A retweet from the ALT page that it will be openand they are usually pretty accurate. I didn't directly quote it cause I believe it's one of those "forbidden" sites here. In the future, anytime I post something like that I mean it. I am not a huge fan of people who make up stuff to stir the pot

I'm also sad that Storm Runner did not end up getting the new restraints, although I'm not sad for myself, I am for other people since they don't bother me.

EDIT: Also Hersheypark Twitter confirmed it so all is well

I was considering trying to hit Hershey tomorrow. We bought our Springtime tickets last weekend but did not get to use them. In looking at the mobile app, it seems that all the rides are currently closed. Anyone have any insight as to why or if going tomorrow would be a bad idea?

I was considering going tomorrow but the high of only 48 degrees is what is stopping me from trying to get there. That might be too cold for some of the coasters to run and the 6:00 closing doesn't give a lot of time if rides are closed in the morning because of the temperature (if it got warmer in the afternoon).

I was considering going tomorrow but the high of only 48 degrees is what is stopping me from trying to get there. That might be too cold for some of the coasters to run

Is Hershey really that ridiculous? 48 degrees is a problem?

Yes it is

That's ridiculous. Even Cedar Point which has the worst weather policy of any park ever runs the coasters at 40 degrees. I know they ran Wildcat and SDL for Christmas so I assume this is just for Great Bear / Farenheit / Skyrush and Storm Runner? What's the limit? If someone says 50 degrees I may die laughing.

You are correct in that the three Intamin's do not begin testing until the temperature is either 46° or 48°. Wooden Coasters, SDL, Great Bear and Sidewinder are a bit lower from what I remember. But they strictly follow that for the Intamin's at the very least

You are correct in that the three Intamin's do not begin testing until the temperature is either 46° or 48°. Wooden Coasters, SDL, Great Bear and Sidewinder are a bit lower from what I remember. But they strictly follow that for the Intamin's at the very least

that's unreal. Well I guess we'll avoid Hershey in every season but summer.

Well I guess we'll avoid Hershey in every season but summer.

Generally I haven't had any issues going during Spring and the earlier part of Autumn. When you get closer to Halloween it can get a little iffy but I haven't had a "bad experience" in either season yet.

Despite freezing temperatures this morning some friends and I headed up to the park knowing not everything would probably be open today. I was shocked that by the time we got to the park at 1pm ish it was just a little over 40 degrees out and all the coasters except fahrenheit and lightening racers were operating.

Despite freezing temperatures this morning some friends and I headed up to the park knowing not everything would probably be open today. I was shocked that by the time we got to the park at 1pm ish it was just a little over 40 degrees out and all the coasters except fahrenheit and lightening racers were operating.

I was shocked as well too as the park says that they don't open many of the coasters if it is below 50 degrees. Eventually even all the Intamins opened including Skyrush, which got new darker blue restraints (the same as last years but just a different color).

Elsewhere in the park there are some new ice cream items such as king-sized 32oz milkshakes for $13.99. There's a S'mores with a full-sized S'mores on it, Reese's with a piece of cheesecake on top, and Hershey's. For springtime, they had a limited edition one that had a stick of cotton candy and sugar cookie on top. Over at Chocolate World, they are also selling a huge sundae that has chocolate-cover bacon, chocolate-covered strawberries, pretzel rods and tons of who knows what else in a large light-up souvenir mug for $24.95.

12494723_10208121471488055_2931041548669513846_n.jpg.2e8bcd6f89cf52e356742c5579eafa3b.jpg

Enough ice cream for you?

12974444_10208121471448054_8028709909280436146_n.jpg.fabee33b46d9983312544cff9a5b3232.jpg

How about now?