TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I'm not too worried about Skyrush. That motor is sitting pretty high up from the creek (almost as tall as the footers) and the computer systems for much of the ride are behind the loading station.

If it does get as bad this time around, there might be something new that could help: the area isn't in a construction site anymore with the creek being re-routed. During Lee, they had to funnel the creek to one side or underground through a series of pipes. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the dam worked at this time either, so with it down (like it was from what I saw this morning), it exposes the maintenance path/crane access path and lowers the water level quite a bit all the way back to as far as Trailblazer.

I wonder, whenever they get around to expanding over to the golf course section, if they will try to come up with a flood solution, like creating special drainage tunnels underneath the park or something. Some sort of floodgates. Or do they already have something in place that does nothing to alleviate the flooding? Speaking of that eventual new section, I wonder if they will relocate the current dam to another location to allow Spring Creek to be widen in the eventual new section. Is the flooding exacerbated because of the current dam's location?

Hey, does anyone know if the coasters will still be running on November the 1st? I had planned on going this weekend but I noticed that the park is closed tomorrow (was also closed today for some reason, maybe something to do with all the rain last weekend?), and I may not get another chance to go until the last weekend of this month (Sunday the 1st). That day looks to still be part of the fall season (when all the rides are open) but I just wanted to be sure as that may be my only chance before the end of this season. Later in November I'm guessing that this will be the time period when most or all of the coasters are closed, so trying to go then would be out.

^They closed for the summer season. Hersheypark in the Dark starts next weekend. Hershey's weather policy is that it must be 45 degrees to start running most coasters

I could have sworn that a couple of years ago I went quite early in October and that they were open every weekend in October (but were closed most of September), so apparently they have changed the schedule since then.

^ Not much. It's nothing like Haunt or Fright Fest. No scare actors, only one "trick or treat" trail essentially for little kids, they change the names on the coasters (Scarerush, Fearenheit, etc) and put up some lighting displays and decorations. I was a little let down when we went last year until I realized soon after we got in that its basically an event for parents w/ small children therefore lines for the coasters were 0-20 minute waits. Oh they also turn off the running lights on the woodies (and I believe Laff Trakk now) for the last hour of the night.

Hersheypark's summer season ends in September and then there are usually two weeks of being closed to the public before Hersheypark in the Dark. The one weekend are private events, and the next week the parking lot is used to host a huge auto show. The auto show has been there for like 50 years or something. There are usually only 3 weekends of Hersheypark in the Dark.

And yea this year the three wooden coasters and Laff Trakk are dark rides for the last hour. The woodies have their tracer lights turned off and Laff Trakk has its black lights turned off, making it completely pitch black.

^ Not much. It's nothing like Haunt or Fright Fest. No scare actors, only one "trick or treat" trail essentially for little kids, they change the names on the coasters (Scarerush, Fearenheit, etc) and put up some lighting displays and decorations. I was a little let down when we went last year until I realized soon after we got in that its basically an event for parents w/ small children therefore lines for the coasters were 0-20 minute waits. Oh they also turn off the running lights on the woodies (and I believe Laff Trakk now) for the last hour of the night.

Their Halloween even is indeed lame if you're expecting haunted houses or something like what many other parks do, but it is a great time to get lots of rides on your favorite coasters without much crowding and no blistering heat/humidity. I rode Skyrush 35 times in one day when I went a couple years ago.

^Exactly. I've been hitting Hersheypark in the Dark on the last day of the season for a few years now, and it's all for the short lines (and fun atmosphere, but that's just Hershey in general). I don't like the various Haunt events, so it's really a win-win in my book! Last year we even got stuck 170 feet up Skyrush's lift for ten minutes - maybe my favorite final ride of a season ever.

As someone who loves Haunt events, I thought HPITD was a great change for once when I visited last year. The family friendly atmosphere made the park feel more quiet and less chaotic than say Howl-O-Scream, Fright Fest etc. And yes the short lines were the best part! I got plenty of day and night rides on most of the rides there.

20141019_123201.jpg.103ad0b6a9bc8320e53037070231013f.jpg

Walk ons all day!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Hersheypark with two of my brothers on September 20, and we couldn't believe that Skyrush! We just could not stop riding that amazing amusement device! My brother has nicknamed that coaster make and model "Intamin Mean Coaster" (the ones with a double spine track). We have not been on Intimidator 305, but we can imagine that it also falls under the category of "mean"!

Hello Hersheypark thread! I'm usually a Kings Dominion guy, but this Saturday I will be traveling to Hersheypark for the first time in a long while. Any ideas on what the crowds will be like? I have never been there this late in the year, and i've never been on a Saturday. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I went last year on both Saturday and Sunday and I'll have to say Sunday was the best day to go. Everything was a one train wait to a walk on throughout the whole day. Saturday wasn't terrible but there were definitely lines for every ride, especially around night time. I'm planning on hitting up the park next coming Sunday for the last day of HPITD.