TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

P. 435: Wildcat's Revenge announced!

^They sit at different points of the body, so it really depends on how thick your thighs are for Skyrush as opposed to Fahrenheit and Strom Runner which sit more on your belly, chest and shoulders. Though I can say at 265 lbs I had no problem with any of the rides at Hershey.

Also Sky Rush is easily my new #1 despite it KILLING my thighs after my third ride.

Anyone know if "Larger riders have a problem with Sky Rush? If I fit in Storm Runner and Fahrenheit, should I fit?

I went with my cousin a few weeks ago, and she didn't have any problems. She's larger, but hasn't ever lost out on a ride. If you're fitting on the other Intamins, I'd like to think you'll be fine here!

Here's the latest rumor from Screamscape:

General Resort News - (8/15/12) During the Coaster Crew “Rush The Sky” event at Hersheypark over this past weekend, an important hint was dropped by the staff during the behind the scenes tour. The group was told to be sure to ride all 12 roller coasters in the park before they leave, “because that number won’t be the same next year.” With SkyRush having just opened, it seems a good bet that the park is ready to retire one of their coasters this winter.

Nothing more was said, but the general speculation over the past few years is that Roller Soaker was on it’s last legs. The very limited capacity and success of the water park attractions around it simply make the site more valuable for a waterpark expansion than the park’s coaster count. I suppose we could also see the Wild Mouse or even Trailblazer retired as well, but my money is on Roller Soaker right now.

While RS would be the coaster I'd personally miss the least, it's always sad to see a one-of-a-kind coaster disappear. Maybe it could be relocated to a smaller park? Talk amongst yourselves.

I'm just glad that combined with technology, parks are realizing which rides are profitable(bring people in, normal routine maintenance) and which rides are money pits(low ridership, high cost of running). And as they do, that just means new, higher quality(sometimes) attractions for everyone to enjoy.

It's definitely Rolller Soaker. Trailblazer is the only real entry level coaster in the park and is a classic park icon for people that have been going there for years. I can't see it being removed because maintenance does not seem to be an issue. Wild Mouse still draws large lines and I'm not sure how its space could be better utilized. I've been to the park tons of times and never once bothered to ride Roller Soaker. I've hung out in the area and shot the water guns from the ground but the line was always prohibitive because of how slow throughput is. I think I remember getting in line for it once and getting out a half hour later after barely moving. Taking it out and adding a boardwalk themed River Battle ride would be a much more interesting use of that space, and it would eat more people/kids at the crowded Boardwalk.

I'm surprised that Roller Soaker has lasted this long.

I hope that they at least add a higher-capacity water ride or slide in the near future (not necessarily a roller coaster), such as an Intamin 9-person rapids ride or a Proslide Mammoth.

I'm all for them removing Roller Soaker for expansion, but I'm curious (and afraid) to see how much farther they'll push the waterpark. How many more rides have to get removed before they realize that putting the thing in the center of the park wasn't the best idea? Once Roller Soaker is gone, there isn't anything left in that area that can be dropped easily (or justifiably, based off of capacity/maintenance/low ridership).

I would not be upset if Roller Soaker came out. I will admit it is a fun coaster but a coaster like this is for parks with lower numbers of people visiting. The line always is long - not really cause its popular but because the low capacity in my opinion. I would love to see them make the water park a lot bigger and get a little more gutsy with some new water slides.

Anyone know if "Larger riders have a problem with Sky Rush? If I fit in Storm Runner and Fahrenheit, should I fit?

If you can get into Storm Runner and Fahrenheit, I don't see any issues. I'm a big guy, had to have a little help to get on Fahrenheit, but didn't have any issues on Skyrush.

I don't get all the hate for Roller Soaker. If it's a warm day and you're in your bathing suit it's a really good fun ride.

I rode it for the first time in awhile with KT on the trip and she really liked it. It has a low height restriction, goes 'backwards' if you sit that way, and is interactive for both riders and spectators.

I totally understand that it's a capacity and maintenance nightmare, but I don't think everyone should hate on it so much.

I personally won't miss it, but I can see some families missing out on it.

I don't get all the hate for Roller Soaker. If it's a warm day and you're in your bathing suit it's a really good fun ride.

I rode it for the first time in awhile with KT on the trip and she really liked it. It has a low height restriction, goes 'backwards' if you sit that way, and is interactive for both riders and spectators.

I totally understand that it's a capacity and maintenance nightmare, but I don't think everyone should hate on it so much.

I could not agree with you more Elissa. I actually really enjoyed it the one time it last year. I was just telling my friend last week about it actually because we are going on the 24th and I told him we gotta ride it because its so different then any other coaster in the area.

Going to Hershey on Saturday night and I'm hoping to get on most of the rides if it doesn't rain. Last time I was at Hershey we got on 2 rides and then there were multiple thunderstorms within the area the rest of the day and when we were leaving the park reopened.

Never been on a launched coaster before and Storm Runner will be my first one. Anyone have any tips besides keeping your head back?

Come on Elissa. You know water rides and water parks are destroying this industry.

Going to Hershey on Saturday night and I'm hoping to get on most of the rides if it doesn't rain. Last time I was at Hershey we got on 2 rides and then there were multiple thunderstorms within the area the rest of the day and when we were leaving the park reopened.

Never been on a launched coaster before and Storm Runner will be my first one. Anyone have any tips besides keeping your head back?

Just to forewarn you but there is going to be a big concert on Saturday in the Stadium. On top of this will be the typical weekend crowds as well. Last Saturday was packed and there was a concert so I recommend getting the evening Fast Track pass before they sell out. It's $25 for one ride on five of the coasters in the park.