TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Since it looks like my original question got overlooked by a debate:

I'm going to Hershey for the first time this weekend, will be there tomorrow night for a few hours and then all day Saturday. What are somethings that I must do, aside from the coasters. I'm looking to have a general all around good time. Any suggestions would be great.

You mean INSIDE the park itself? I would say just the normal stuff and other rides they have that suit your liking. Non park related, the Zoo is okay if you are into that kinda thing & Chocolate World.

Let us know your opinions on Skyrush

I rode Skyrush (S&M: The Ride) just over three weeks ago. The ride provides some CRAZY ejector airtime. It's just a shame about the extreme pressure that is put on ones thighs. This was the only thing that detracted from what was an otherwise amazing/hilarious (yes, it really did make me 'lol') experience!

I'm with A.J. in regards to the cause (and cure) of the pain issue. It's all about having a restraint system that gets tighter through the duration of the ride, much like G-Farce (deliberate misspell ) at Drayton Manor. So, hopefully Hershey will rectify this issue, thus leaving them with a coaster that is solid gold (in my opinion).

And alilstronger, I'm sure you will find (or should I say I hope you will find) some pleasure through the pain when you ride it. Enjoy!

Steve, I'm not a fan. I've ridden it 10 times in the past several weeks, and this last ride yesterday was the best. I keep riding it to try to like it. I find it rough for a ride less than a month old. I guess it boils down to the fact that I'm not a fan of the new Intamin coasters. I'm just a B&M and GCI fan. The first one I didn't like was Maverick, I305 and now Sky Rush. It's the quick direction changes of the first two named at high speeds. Don't get me wrong, I do like many other Intamin rides. I don't mind Cheetah Hunt at Busch Tampa since it's slower and not painful. I find SR more vertically rough. The outside seats are really amplified by the "springboard effect." I'm always a single rider so most of the time, I'm stuck on the outside.

I love to ride with my arms up in the air, and I rode SR that way. I normally love having my body tossed around and abused by the ride, but this one isn't enjoyable for me. I love Lightning Racer, Fahrenheit, and even Storm Runner at the park. I can do and have done 15 - 30 reps on Lightning Racer a day. I only ride the Lightning side.

That's just my opinion, I know others love it. I won't be clogging up the queue line for this one.

I'm with you on the quick change of directions on the newer Intamins (or QDCs as someone so elegantly coined it on the TPR Facebook Page awhile back). Just not a fan of them. Although, overall I really enjoyed Maverick, I could do without those transitions.

You've got a great memory. It was me that called it QDC - quick direction changes. Soft restraints on Maverick would help too (like I305).

Rode skyrush twice this week.

I have to say didnt look or feel 200 ft. The ride was pretty meh to me actually put it below meanstreak because of the pain level on the ejector hills. Just left bruises and was not fun.

On a hershey note employees were rude disrespectful and the park was ran horribly.

1 train on skyrush super dooper looper and storm runner so lines were extremely long. Dispatching trains took way to long they took there time checking restraints.

^I agree. Dispatches on Storm Runner and Skyrush took forever. I also noticed long dispatch times for Sidewinder. However, when we went to Skyrush, the wait was about 15 minutes because the line moved pretty fast. Storm Runner was, however, a 25 minute wait.

Just had preview and real deal tomorrow. My friend didn't get here til 9 so just 2 rides on Skyrush, but I have to agree it's an amazing ride- a real nice blend of fun and intensity. There were people complaining about their legs getting off, but I didn't find it to be bad at all. It got tighter throughout the ride but never became a huge distraction- I was too busy trying to comprehend how I was moving in the complete opposite direction of the train on the turns. Airtime was extreme, but also very different from anything I've felt before- I'd almost call it "bouncy" airtime as it's very extreme but not in any way sustained, just up and right back down. Great ride, can't wait to try to get more in during daylight tomorrow!

I also did SuperDooperLooper and Reese's Cup earlier. Loved new trains, same in all the good ways but more leg room. While I'm used to occasionally getting massive scores on laser rides from stacking in a final room, tonight was the first time I've stacked in EVERY SINGLE ROOM of a dark ride... I don't really know what to think.

I have to say didnt look 200 ft.

I've always loved when people say this about rides... What exactly "looks" 200 ft. in your mind?

It may be that I've ridden a lot of tall coasters, but Skyrush's lift hill certainly looks a lot shorter in person. Even when the student group had a tour in February and we got to be down on the creek bed, it certainly didn't feel like it was 200 feet tall.

I remember the first time I saw Steel Force at Dorney Park, I thought it was the tallest thing in the world. Now, I'm just like, "meh".

Gonna be at the park on Sunday (rockin' a Maverick shirt) and wanted to ask the regulars what I should expect crowd wise and line lengths?

I went a few weeks back on a Sunday. If you're there when gates open, you should be able to hit a lot of the big coasters early. We arrived at 9:20 (gates opened at 10 a.m.).

In the two hours we spent at the park that day (stayed until noon), we hit Skyrush, Great Bear (2X), Storm Runner (2X) and Fahrenheit (2X).

I can't speak to what the park was later in the day, but those first couple hours that day were mighty sweet.

Hope this helps!

It may be that I've ridden a lot of tall coasters, but Skyrush's lift hill certainly looks a lot shorter in person. Even when the student group had a tour in February and we got to be down on the creek bed, it certainly didn't feel like it was 200 feet tall.

A lot of this is an optical illusion caused by the massively thick I-beam structure of the track. If you're used to seeing normal sized track 200 feet away, the larger track will look closer.

Gonna be at the park on Sunday (rockin' a Maverick shirt) and wanted to ask the regulars what I should expect crowd wise and line lengths?

I went a few weeks back on a Sunday. If you're there when gates open, you should be able to hit a lot of the big coasters early. We arrived at 9:20 (gates opened at 10 a.m.).

In the two hours we spent at the park that day (stayed until noon), we hit Skyrush, Great Bear (2X), Storm Runner (2X) and Fahrenheit (2X).

I can't speak to what the park was later in the day, but those first couple hours that day were mighty sweet.

Hope this helps!

Thanks man! My friend and I are gonna use the Hershey Preview on Saturday night to get the two longest lines (Skyrush and Fahrenheit) done then and then ride our hearts out Sunday morning. Hoping for a decent day on Sunday, crowd wise. But I'm not holding my breath the weekend before the Fourth of July.... can't help but cross my fingers though!

Thanks man! My friend and I are gonna use the Hershey Preview on Saturday night to get the two longest lines (Skyrush and Fahrenheit) done then and then ride our hearts out Sunday morning. Hoping for a decent day on Sunday, crowd wise. But I'm not holding my breath the weekend before the Fourth of July.... can't help but cross my fingers though!

I would actually advise skipping Fahrenheit on Saturday night-- the line doesn't really die down all that much, and you should be able to ride it at least twice on Sunday morning while everyone else is still in Comet Hollow (or in church). I would recommend either Lightning Racer or Storm Runner (and, of course, Skyrush) for the preview night. And if the lines are short, hit Great Bear and Comet, as both are awesome in the dark.

Haven't posted here in a while, but I visited Hersheypark for the first time in a few years yesterday, and figured I'd share my two cents...

I arrived with a group of friends around 10:30, after stopping at a local Giant Market to take advantage of the discounted tickets (fantastic deal, btw). We decided as a group that we would hold off the urge to hit Skyrush first, and instead make our way to the back of the park before the crowds got there. This plan, as I've seen outlined countless times in this thread, worked much better than I anticipated. We were able to hit Fahrenheit, Storm Runner (with one train operation), Tidal Force, Wild Mouse, Wildcat, and Lightning Racer x3 in about two hours. I'll sum up the rest of the day in a series of positives and negatives...

Positives:

-Skyrush is every bit as incredible as I expected. Was able to get on twice, once in the back-left wing, and once in the front-right center. I'm not sure which I preferred, as both experiences were very different. The back-left wing was just total insanity, unlike anything I've ever really experienced. I've never white-knuckled a ride like that before. The front, in my opinion, offered a bit more air-time with a more traditional coaster feel. I didn't have a single problem with the restraints. I actually found them to be super comfortable. The key is really to make sure you're slouched in your seat a bit so that the contact point between the restraint and your body is at your waist, rather than your thigh. Overall, this was an incredible ride. Not sure how to rate it among my favorites, though, as it just seemed so different than anything I had ever been on. It's really in a league of its own.

-I had never been on Fahrenheit. It was a ton of fun. Much better than I expected after so many mediocre reviews. Don't skip this one!

-Storm Runner is still kicking ass.

-The East Coast Water Works may be the best thing in the whole park.

-The Skyrush crew was fantastic. They were dispatching the train quickly and efficiently, making one-train operation seem bearable. Also, during an instance of technical difficulty, they were calm, informative, and got things going again smoothly. Kudos!

Negatives:

-Fahrenheit didn't open until well after 11:00. The crew seemed very nonchalant, and never showed any real determination to get the thing running.

-The Sidewinder crew was easily the worst I've ever experienced. We sat for 5-10 minutes waiting to dispatch because there was some argument/confusion about fast track guests not being allowed on the ride without a shirt. Ridiculous. Actually, that leads me to my last point...

-The execution of the Fast Track system is completely pathetic. Never in my life have I seen a park rope off entire sections of a train for fast track users. And for good reason; it didn't work! It slowed dispatch times immensely, and continuously sparked confusion when regular guests were being made to leave their groups/preferred rows to load into the middle of the train. I really hope that the park gets their act together with this and find a better means of execution.

Overall, it was a fantastic day at Hershey. While operations weren't the best I've seen, it was evident that most of the staff was trying/enjoyed what they were doing. For the select few that obviously wanted to be anywhere but at Hersheypark, well, I didn't let it ruin my day. And oh yeah, Skyrush is awesome.

Geez, what a sorry bunch of complainers! So what if there's some pain from the restraints? Bruises aren't gonna kill you.. It's a first of its kind ride, you can't expect everything to be perfect right away. I found everything else pretty much flawless on the ride. And I sucked up the pain for the whole maybe 2 or 3 minutes I was in contact with the noodles. Seems like people are intentionally being pessimistic about this ride as if it's the worst ride in existence cause you get a little leg pain..

You all want insane airtime.. but then they give it to you and all you do is complain about it hurting. Look on the bright side. At least the only real adjustment they have to make is on restraints, rather than having a terrible ride layout or needing excessive trims. Jeez, people always find something to complain about! I recall Storm Runner and Fahrenheit having similar problems when I rode them a few years back, but they were very easily corrected and nobody even remembers them by now.

I found the ride fantastic. I've never felt such strong ejector air or intense g forces. I loved the simple yet effective layout, a perfect blend between what people expect when it comes to a great coaster. Intense g's along turns, some great laterals even, jammed with airtime, smooth (as in not jackhammering or headbanging) and personally I really enjoyed the QDC's. Plus, for having one train, the line moved quickly and I never waited longer than a half hour.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but before you make concrete judgement on the ride you still have to realize it's in its first month or two of operation and you can of course expect things to change over time.

-The execution of the Fast Track system is completely pathetic. Never in my life have I seen a park rope off entire sections of a train for fast track users. And for good reason; it didn't work! It slowed dispatch times immensely, and continuously sparked confusion when regular guests were being made to leave their groups/preferred rows to load into the middle of the train. I really hope that the park gets their act together with this and find a better means of execution.

They should just implement the fast lane system that Cedar Fair parks have. That is my favorite system. Ride all you want all day with no specific times. Just show your bracelet and you still get to pick your seat (least I did at Kings Island).

^ I agree. The FastLane system is my favorite one so far. I really like not having to reserve times to come back and being able to ride as many times as you want. Having Fastlane riders get inserted into the station is great and allows you to choose your seat. I tried it both in Kings Dominion and Carowinds and loved it. I skipped the system at Hersheypark since you are allowed to only ride once per a ride. Which is not worth it for the price they charged. Plus the roping off of fasttrack seats is just a horrible system. One operator at Stormrunner just let the Fastltrack seats go empty when there were no fasttrack riders and not allowing people from other lanes to fill seats.

Hershey is not a large park, so it's not hard to see what there is to do. .

What do you mean......I always thought the place was huge?? My wife took one of those walking/step measuring devices to ECB and we walked 14.8 miles that day!!!!! From Lightning Racer to front gate is one hell of a trek!!!

Yeah, Hershey definitely has a ways to go with their skip the line system. Blocking off entire cars of low-capacity rides, in no thanks to the Hershey ride operations (Fahrenheit, Storm Runner) just doesn't work. You're cutting your already-made-miserable hourly capacity, and hardly any of the trains going out even have Fast Track riders. It's a mess.

I went to Hershey this week. It was my third time going took my fiance who has never been.

Will not be returning to Hershey because of the flaws at the park.

Skyrush felt like a 150 foot drop didn't feel or look 200 feet tall.

The crew was dispatching trains every 15 minutes or more minutes at skyrush.

Trains on other rides were running one train on major attractions.

The employees were slow didn't care about moving in a timely manner and the fact the some employees were giving very rude stares at us as we entered lines.

One at great bear where the employee turned his full body around and stared us down.

Sorry Hershey but with the slow loading's and the rude employees we skipped the next day and went to Dorney.