TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Just rode Skyrush yesterday. It's a great ride but the ejector air is a bit painful. I rode it three times . On my third ride, I scooted my legs a bit more forward in the seat so that the pressure points were not directly over my thighs. Surprisingly, no pain on the third ride. So it looks like if you position yourself correctly, pain can be avoided and the ride becomes a whole lot more enjoyable. However, it may be also due to the fact that I had middle left edge seats for the first two rides and my third one was on the front right middle.

The front middle seemed smoother while the left outer middle seemed to vibrate a bit like x2. The ride is quite intense and not soothing and relaxing like Wild Eagle. Sort of the El Toro of winged coasters.

Edited by johnychen

NEED HELP!!

So, I moved out to York P.A today, and want to go to Hershey tonight. I only have 39 bucks. I know after 4pm I can get the Sunset admission, which is about $29. The issue is parking is an extra $12 from my knowledge. Is there any store or whatever in the area that I can park at and walk to the park? Or am I screwed?

Is there any store or whatever in the area that I can park at and walk to the park? Or am I screwed?

There's a Red Robin on the main drag there...visible from Lightning Racer. I imagine you could park there and then walk to the main gates, but you're probably looking at a solid 10-15 minute walk since you have to skirt around the park.

Or....

If you're going to be there less than three hours, park in the Chocolate World parking lot for free. But, if you go over three hours, they will charge you.

(The park's only open until 8 p.m. tonight, so maybe this is a valid option?)

Edited by NJCroMag

Is there a mass transit system in Hershey?? WHen I was low on funds in my misspent youth, I would have a seasons pass to SFoG (birthday gift) and would often take the subway/bus to SFoG for the day. Just a thought.

D

My experience, and from what it seems everyone elses, is that the fast track is the way to go...especially when visiting from out of town. Unless the park is EMPTY, I use them at any and every park I go to. My time is valuable to me, so it seems worth the extra cost to me.

NEED HELP!!

So, I moved out to York P.A today, and want to go to Hershey tonight. I only have 39 bucks. I know after 4pm I can get the Sunset admission, which is about $29. The issue is parking is an extra $12 from my knowledge. Is there any store or whatever in the area that I can park at and walk to the park? Or am I screwed?

Let us know if you make it out there. I would love to roll into a new town and right to the closest park. Good for you that it can be Hershey, have a great time.

NEED HELP!!

First, my condolences on moving to York. I grew up there and to say there is nothing to do is an understatement. The walk from the Outlet area is not one I would want to make. I don't think there's a sidewalk and HersheyPark Drive can be quite busy. I would take the Chocolate World route instead. They say the first 3 hours are free but I was there the other day (for Chocolate World) and the attendants didn't check my ticket at all. It will get expensive if you go over the 3 hours parking there.

I rode Skyrush on Monday and boy was that painful! My thighs still hurt! But other than that I was pleasantly surprised by the ride. I know someone on here mentioned doing fahrenheit, stormrunner first then later in the day do Skyrush. They were right! In the morning Skyrush's line was at max but by late afternoon I waited 10 min tops(park was pretty packed imo).As long as you don't wait for the front seat late afternoon is short wait.

Took a trip over to the park today after taking my last final exam for the year and had a fantastic day. The park was absolutely deserted for the most part, and the longest line I waited in was 20 minutes, and I rode the front seat on three coasters!

Some new observations:

Avoid Comet Hollow in the morning at all costs.

I arrived at the park around 11, and the Hollow was packed. 20 minutes for Comet was the longest, and first, wait of the day. We were worried that the rest of the park would be as crowded, but no other area during any other time even came close. So, for anyone planning a trip, go directly to Fahrenheit first and circle Pioneer Frontier until the Hollow crowds die, most likely around lunchtime.

The rows blocked off for Fast Track are a blessing in disguise.

Since they are rarely ever used, waits in the rows adjacent to the chained off rows are cut in half, as people fill in the fast pass slots. In my seven visits so far this year, I have only ever seen one group use Fast Track. My friends, and most likely 90% of the GP, had no idea it existed.

GP complaints about the Skyrush restraints are never-ending.

On almost every train that returned to the station today, a chorus of relieved moans immediately followed the release of the restraints. While it is by no means excruciating pain, I can see their point of view. Guests at amusement parks don't expect to experience pain from any rides, especially the latest, greatest, most-advertised, and most technologically advanced coaster. Again, it doesn't feel like your legs are being cut off, but it kept several in my party from re-riding, and caused many GP to hate the ride. It's too bad.

The wing seats, especially the left side, offer a completely insane experience.

I rode in the back left today, and it was the most insane ride experience of my life. What kills when riding the wing seats isn't the airtime or floorlessness-- it's the laterals. I was flung out of my seat every which way-- right, left, forward. There is a specific period when the train quickly pulls out of the Stengel Dive where my whole body was thrown left, and just as I regained control and moved my body back into the seat, I was thrown right back out again by the next banked turn. The left side is still the only side where I need to put my hands down and hold on-- always immediately after the aforementioned section. The floored seats feel much more heartlined; you are eased into every turn much like a traditional coaster. I might stick with floored seats for awhile.

The wing seats, especially the left side, offer a completely insane experience.

I rode in the back left today, and it was the most insane ride experience of my life. What kills when riding the wing seats isn't the airtime or floorlessness-- it's the laterals. I was flung out of my seat every which way-- right, left, forward. There is a specific period when the train quickly pulls out of the Stengel Dive where my whole body was thrown left, and just as I regained control and moved my body back into the seat, I was thrown right back out again by the next banked turn. The left side is still the only side where I need to put my hands down and hold on-- always immediately after the aforementioned section.

Yes. My last ride at 9pm Sunday night was in the back-left wing seat, and I can't even describe how absolutely amazing it was. You're basically helpless the entire time, but it's that ride that really cemented Skyrush as my #1, above and beyond El Toro, I305, and Maverick.

Well, I got to ride Skyrush three times yesterday. What an experience! Definitely my top steel now in spite of the pain you get from the lapbars, which I really didn't find to be much of a problem. By the way, the "noodles" are gone from the lap bars now. If the plastic portion of the bar was parallel with your legs rather than being at such an odd angle, I really don't think it would hurt at all. Maybe we'll see a change for next season.

I don't recall very well how comfortable SDL's old trains were, but I quite liked the new ones.

So, yesterday since I just moved out to York I decided to take the rest of the day to chill and do Hershey today instead. In retrospect, it was the wrong move. To get to Hershey from where I'm at it's only a 30-40min ride (all highway driving), and I got there at about 3:15pm. I had only 40 bucks, so I couldn't afford a full day admission or parking, so I parked at that Red Robin by Lightning Racer that a member suggested yesterday, had an iced coffee from Dunkin' Donuts, and made the long walk over. About 20min later, I was at the entrance. I got in line for a ticket (I got to the window at 3:59 and the lady actually made me wait the extra minute to get the Sunset admission price...kinda ridiculous), and headed in. The walk to Skyrush is extremely quick via the newly built pathway, and pictures do NOT do this ride justice. From the pics I had seen the ride didn't look all that visually appealing, but in real life it is a beauty. It was the first time I saw the new style track Intamin has been using (as seen I305), and it really make their rides look more slick.

Now, this is where things turned the wrong way. I noticed while walking to the ride they were cycling an empty train, which didn't bother me as I figured they'd do a few test runs and open it back up. Wrong. When I got to the entrance, I was told that ALL coasters at Hershey would be down due to a thunderstorm warning. Now, I understand this rule, however the sun was shining with no clouds for miles. Now, in the horizon I noticed there was some dark clouds coming in, but it took those clouds about 50min before they even reached the park. From 4-6:30, all coasters were closed. The clouds produced a minimal amount of rain with no lightning, and there was little to no wind so the clouds just hung over the park seemingly forever. Finally, at 6:15ish, some rides began testing and opening, and by 6:45 all coasters in the Hollow EXCEPT Skyrush were running. Skyrush opened shortly after, cycled the first batch of riders that had been waiting in the station since it went down 3 hours prior, and I got right to the back row. I got the far right wing seat on that 2nd train, pulled down the lap bar, and was off...not. They released the restraints and directed me back into line, and they proceeded to close the ride for another 30min due to a slight drizzle. That stopped, they cycled both trains, I hopped on the train, and was off.

My experience was...slightly underwhelming.

Now, don't get me wrong, the ride has unbelievable airtime (comparable in strength to El Toro's camelbacks), AMAZING laterals that fling your upper body parallell to the track due to the incredible open-ness of the trains, and definitely packs a huge punch. However, it just felt like something was missing. It may have been the length of the ride, or how all the elements are pretty low to the ground (as a result the camelbacks don't give the crazy sustained ejector that Toro gives 2-3x), the restraints do get uncomfortable during the moments of ejector airtime...I don't know. My gut feeling is this is more of a front row ride (like Bizarro at SFNE), and maybe I was just expecting too much and wasn't in the greatest mood after 3.5 hours of waiting. I'd definitely put El Toro, Voyage (rode it in 2006 before it supposedly tore itself apart) and Bizarro at SFNE over it, and I feel that would be the case no matter what row I rode it in. The layout is just missing something. DEFINITELY one of the best coasters I have ever ridden, and likely one of the very best in the entire world. I need more rides on it before I come to an honest conclusion.

After my ride I had about 30min left before closing, so I rushed over to Storm Runner, which has always stoof as my favorite of the Intamin hydraulic coasters. It was a walkon and the ride was terrific as always. I will never understand how the launch feels so much more intense than Kingda Ka's. I suppose because the launch has one strong tug as opposed to 2-3 seperate tugs on Ka, but it always fascinated me. I had about 15min left, so I rushed over to Fahrenheit, which was the opportunity to grab another credit since my last visit to Hershey was back in 2007. It was a 10min wait, and I came off pretty impressed. It seems to get some hate among enthusiasts, but I found it to be enjoyable. The first drop is fun, and the inversions, while not intense, are very interesting the way they are banked and transition from one to another. The rattle in the cobra roll was pretty bad, though.

Overall, I accomplished what I set out to do, but the massive rain delay left a slightly sour taste in my mouth. Still, being so close to Hershey now, this will just be the first in many visits this summer to what is one of my favorite parks in the world.

Hershey has a very advanced weather system, and they'll shut down all rides if lightning has struck within 15 miles of the park. Doesn't matter how slow the storm is moving. But I'm very sorry to hear that it screwed over your night!

Oh, and Storm Runner feels stronger than Kingda Ka because it is. KK actually does launch in one long stride, now that they've fixed their problems with the cable and after the lightning strike, but it accelerates at a slower rate than Storm Runner and you can certainly feel the difference!

Got my first ride in the new SDL trains this past Wed morning. Very nice I must say.

I'll start with the little issues I saw. There is a rattle going up the lift hill, and a serious thud/chain slap when the chain dog releases from the train. That thud was there with the old trains too. It actually shakes the entire station down below. I can't remember it shaking like that before. It was only 1 train operation. There was a crew of 3 to 4 maintenance guys working/inspecting the other train. Not sure what the problem is. Any insider information out there?

Now to end on a high note. I rode 2 times in the front seat. The trains are very smooth, after you make it up the lift hill. They feel faster. There were 2 spots where I got a little air that I didn't ever remember feeling on the Looper before. It was very slight, but it was there. There is one spot after you pass through the center of the loop, but before the tunnel. Another is right before you get to the helix at the end. The magnetic mid-couse brakes don't stop you near as much as the old friction brakes did. The helix felt much faster and powerful too. The train is hauling at the end, but the magnetic brakes slow you down fast, but not like the old jerk-to-stop that was at the end previously. Great job Hershey!!

Some advice for a 2nd time visitor.

The last I went to Hersheypark was 1998, the year of Great Bear. The lines back then were "bearable!"

I am planning a trip there on Friday June 22nd.

Any idea how crowds have been on Fridays? I am driving in from Ohio the day before and hitting Knoebels in the evening of the 21st. Just wanted some advice on what order I should hit the big coasters (SkyRush, Farenehit, Stormrunner). Are any of these walk-ons? Of course, I can always pick up their FastLane/FastPass (whatever it is called) but I'd rather save the $50 if I don't need to purchase it.

Thanks!