TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Just got back from the park! We got in with the 5 pm discount tickets and got on Skyrush after 2 switchbacks and about 30-40 minutes. The ride was a blast! It was interesting, I brought a friend who had actually never been on a coaster before, and we both loved it. The first drop was incredible (we rode in the back), and the airtime definitely does not disappoint. She was a bit rattled, but the extreme airtime was actually her favorite part. I didn't reeeeally understand the hype for the ride - the layout seemed like a glorified Rita or Desert Storm, but I was definitely pleasantly surprised. Storm Runner has always been one of my favorites though, and while the two are very different, we both ended up preferring Storm Runner. But really, no complaints besides the loading, this thing hauls!

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Way to walk around vlogging with your masks off all day. Also, some constructive criticism: the music in your vlogs absolutely blows.  

Back row. That way, she'll never want to ride another roller coaster again and you can save money by leaving her at home.

Let's just leave it at this and talk about the park. I get why this came up today. It's newsworthy for sure but this is going to go off the rails. People try to find every single opportunity to inject

Posted Images

I think we should start calling it Thigh Rush.

They're really gonna have to alter those pads. Two rides in succession (even with 25 minutes in between) and my thighs did ache.

I have to agree about the lap bar pads. I've ridden it 3 times now (twice on Saturday and once on Sunday), and it seems to get worse with every ride. Also, even if you leave yourself a little room for comfort at dispatch, the lap bar becomes tighter during the ride. It was actually quite painful on my last ride. I'd love to see Hershey respond and make some adjustments, but I'd be surprised if they did. I'll still ride it either way

^Yup, although SkyRush is still one of the best coasters I've ridden, after three rides over two days I had to rank it lower simply because the lap bars are too painful. The bruises on my thighs from earlier rides made the airtime on my last ride unbearable, and the worst part is that you then have to sit on the brake run for several minutes with no circulation in your legs before they let you into the station.

I think the problem is that the lap bars are at the wrong angle for someone of normal leg size, so the restraint hits the thigh at a single point instead of distributing the forces across a large part of the thigh like the molded B&M hyper restraints. Hopefully Intamin can rework them, but I would understand if after the various S:RoS and Mega Splash lap bar incidents that comfort is a secondary concern after safety of larger riders.

As much as I love the open feeling and lack of headbanging from lapbar only rides, and as much as I hate to say it, the ride would be better with Farenheight/Storm Runner style OTSRs. At least it would be more re-ridable.

Shame to hear about the lap bars being painful. Last year after 5 rides on El Toro in one day my thighs were sore for 3-4 days afterwords. Are the restraints even more painful than El Toro's? I'll still probably ride several times either way.

Another question. How does the GP reaction seem to be. Ive read a few comments online about the restraints being painful and that they didn't enjoy it but is this something you commonly hear people saying or do most seem to have enjoyed the ride.

Lap bar is much worse than El Toro. GP reaction is mostly positive, as the lap bars only really become an issue after the second or third ride.

^ That's surprising to hear. I didn't think this thing would be more "un-rerideable" than Intimidator 305, but it sounds like it as I can ride 305 about 12 times in a row before taking a break. The intensity of this ride (from reviews) has me even more excited for this ride now...

Are people REALLY complaining that there is too much airtime?

Seriously, people, if too much airtime is really upsetting you, please, please, PLEASE find a new hobby!

--Robb "Like take up knitting or birdwatching or something..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Seriously, people, if too much airtime is really upsetting you, please, please, PLEASE find a new hobby!

More so the restraints than the airtime. I don't think anyone is complaining about airtime.

I rode 5 times and the airtime didn't bother me. If you know how to brace yourself then the insane air is really enjoyable. Yeah, the lap bars did hurt a little bit if you weren't ready for it, but that is what happens on any ride when you have extreme negative Gs! It's no different than El Toro or Bizarro, SkyRush just happens to be a little stronger!

More so the restraints than the airtime. I don't think anyone is complaining about airtime.

Really? Give me an effing break. You people complain about OTSRs, you complain about lap bars, you complain about seat belts. Here's an idea - STFU and be happy you got a really kick ass roller coaster!

Or, hey! Maybe you'd rather them add more trims! That's a GREAT IDEA!

HERSHEYPARK!!! I KNOW YOU ARE READING THIS FORUM!!! PLEASE APPEASE THE COMPLAINING IDIOTS AND ADD MORE TRIMS TO SKYRUSH BECAUSE THERE PEOPLE WHO ARE BIG PUSSIES AND CAN'T HANDLE AIRTIME!!! MORE TRIMS PLEASE!!! MORE TRIMS!!!!

--Robb "Seriously, stop posting to TPR if you're going to complain about idiotic things." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

^ Honestly, I'd suggest not riding SkyRush at all. I mean, who wants airtime on a roller coaster to begin with, and anything that has LOTS of airtime, OMG, skip it! I think you're better off marathoning Trailblazer most of the day!

Honestly, I really like the I305 soft should restraints, and would have loved to see them on SkyRush. With that said, I was definitely unprepared for the intensity of SkyRush on my first ride. After riding it once, I was totally able to ride it defensively and didn't experience any discomfort.

I'm just happy that a US park still has the balls to build such an intense ride, even if the restraints aren't perfect. I'd take SkyRush's airtime with slightly uncomfortable restraints over any B&M's airtime/comfortable restraints any day!

Really? Give me an effing break. You people complain about OTSRs, you complain about lap bars, you complain about seat belts. Here's an idea - STFU and be happy you got a really kick A$$ roller coaster!

Or, hey! Maybe you'd rather them add more trims! That's a GREAT IDEA!

HERSHEYPARK!!! I KNOW YOU ARE READING THIS FORUM!!! PLEASE APPEASE THE COMPLAINING IDIOTS AND ADD MORE TRIMS TO SKYRUSH BECAUSE THERE PEOPLE WHO ARE BIG PUSSIES AND CAN'T HANDLE AIRTIME!!! MORE TRIMS PLEASE!!! MORE TRIMS!!!!

--Robb "Seriously, stop posting to TPR if you're going to complain about idiotic things." Alvey

I don't know if that was directed at me but I was not personally complaining about the restraints. I was just pointing out that some of the GP were and that it wasn't enjoyable as a result. Painful restraints be it a lap bar or over the shoulder restraint is a legit complaint imo if it prevents someone from enjoying a ride. If enough complain they might do something about it which is why I asked about the general reaction to the ride. Im worried they would take the easy way out and add more trims too. Me Id take a bit of thigh pain over trims any day. If they can improve the comfort of the restraints (without changing them to over the shoulder) like they did with I305 then thats even better.

Edited by JayB18
Honestly, I really like the I305 soft should restraints, and would have loved to see them on SkyRush. With that said, I was definitely unprepared for the intensity of SkyRush on my first ride. After riding it once, I was totally able to ride it defensively and didn't experience any discomfort.

I'm just happy that a US park still has the balls to build such an intense ride, even if the restraints aren't perfect. I'd take SkyRush's airtime with slightly uncomfortable restraints over any B&M's airtime/comfortable restraints any day!

And this is pretty much exactly the reason why you see a lot fewer Intamin's in the US. People keep wanting a Mega-Lite in the USA, and I guarantee you the moment one opens, you'll have stupid Americans bitching about it.

Keep 'em in Europe and Asia where they belong. Just like the Zac Spin. That ride doesn't belong in America.

--Robb "Americans want boring B&M with floater airtime... They can't handle anything extreme." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Id take the more freedom of the lap bars over soft straps any day.

And this is pretty much exactly the reason why you see a lot fewer Intamin's in the US. People keep wanting a Mega-Lite in the USA, and I guarantee you the moment one opens, you'll have stupid Americans bitching about it.

Keep 'em in Europe and Asia where they belong. Just like the Zac Spin. That ride doesn't belong in America.

--Robb "Americans want boring B&M with floater airtime... They can't handle anything extreme." Alvey

I wonder how many of the GP who are complaining have never ridden something with strong sustained intamin ejector before like El Toro or Bizarro. They may be over exaggerating and simply not prepared for the ride.

After being on the site for almost 3 years, I've learned that it doesn't matter what kind of ride it is, Americans will complain about it. I'm not one of those people who nitpick every little thing and turn it into an "end of the world" thing. When I305 was being built, I skipped over every complaining comment in the KD thread. I was just happy a ride like that was even being built. Complaining is inevitable in this country, and it doesn't just happen about roller coasters.

I just hope I can get to Hershey and ride Skyrush before it's neutered I'm sure if the coaster manufacturers came up with an invisible restraints enthusiast would still complain about being uncomfortable b/c they couldn't see them

Edited by Gigalyte

The lapbars tighten down during the ride like every other modern Intamin. The only time it became uncomfortable for me was at the end when we were waiting on a four minute dispatch while the circulation was slowly stopping below my thighs. During the ride I honestly didn't notice them that much. But it's just like I say to people who complain about Magnum, airtime that hurts your thighs is a GOOD thing!

Yeah, Magnum literally beat the shit out of me. I had my innards so beaten by that awful ride that I actually had to take a dump right after riding it!

--Robb "It actually DID beat the crap out of me!!!" Alvey