TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I'm still confused as to how this costs the same amount as I-305. Is it because the track is bigger?

I would imagine that the terrain is a major factor in the cost. i305 was built on a flat field, whereas Skyrush construction involved rerouting a river, reconstructing the river bed, building new retaining walls, moving several rides and facilities, and reconstructing parts of the Comet's queue. They also had to work around existing midways and rides, conduct all sorts of engineering and environmental studies related to changing the river, and build structures designed to withstand regular flooding. Not to mention the engineering costs associated with the new trains and new track gauge.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In spite of it being one of my absolute favorite parks, I usually only make the trip out to Hershey once a year. However, thanks to my 2020 plans going right into the crapper I'm working with what I'v

Just realized I posted this TR on page 420. Score!

It would be faster and a better use of your time to leave the park, drive to the airport, fly to Orlando, Uber to Seaworld and ride Mako than to wait 4 hours for Candymonium...   (Or you cou

Posted Images

^ And don't forget: they also had to move the Tilt-a-Whirl ride to another place inside the park so that area can be used as the entrance for SKYRUSH.

Isn't it amazing how the rides in this area of the park seem to dance around each other.

So here's my dance:

"Done dancing yet? Please come to bed."

I'm still confused as to how this costs the same amount as I-305. Is it because the track is bigger?

Hersheypark does not pay Intamin $25 million dollars, just as Kings Dominion did not pay Intamin $25 million for I-305. I would estimate that the actual price tag from Intamin for Skyrush is under $10 million. There are significant costs associated with Skyrush apart from design and steel.

Under normal circumstances with a steel coaster, you typically can divide the total cost in half to get the actual cost of the ride from the manufacturer.

Excavation (very significant with Skyrush), shipping, physical construction, added electrical, station construction, hardscaping, landscaping, air gates, etc., are all added costs factored into the total price of the ride.

Edited by Magnum PA

I'd have to agree that the landscaping and such would cost more than the ride itself. Hersheypark has been doing so much more than just plopping a ride on nearly-flat ground like Kings Dominion did with Intimidator 305.

Fahrenheit cost 12.1 million to build, so I'm assuming SkyRush is costing them a lot more than that. Definitely not under 10 million, haha.

Well if we're going to take 13 million of off Skyrush's price then we would take some money off of Farenheit's as well.

I think you're half right Magnum PA. Since Hershey doesn't take possession of the ride until it passes state inspection, I suspect the full amount did go through Intamin's hands, but as you noted a significant portion of the cost goes to the subcontractors. There has to be one construction manager over seeing the entire project, and suspect that is all managed by Intamin with Hershey's engineers overseeing the process.

Fahrenheit cost 12.1 million to build, so I'm assuming SkyRush is costing them a lot more than that. Definitely not under 10 million, haha.

You claim Fahrenheit cost 12.1 million to build. He's not saying SkyRush cost 10 million to build, he saying that design and track fabrication alone was in the ballpark of 10 million, and the rest of the cost went to other things like transportation, excavation, construction, landscape and hardscape design, etc. Don't forget all the costs for mid-air excavation and plumbing! I have no knowledge of what these things actually cost, but let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples before you start "haha"ing people.

Moving on... anyone know when test runs may begin now that the track circuit is complete?

They still have to do the pull through first (to check clearances). After that's done then they should start testing the ride.

There is NO WAY Skyrush cost under 10 million...

Bet me.

I think you're half right Magnum PA. Since Hershey doesn't take possession of the ride until it passes state inspection, I suspect the full amount did go through Intamin's hands, but as you noted a significant portion of the cost goes to the subcontractors. There has to be one construction manager over seeing the entire project, and suspect that is all managed by Intamin with Hershey's engineers overseeing the process.

Correct. But I disagree that the full amount goes through Intamin's hands. "Hersheypark" is the project manager, as they have an extensive engineering and planning department. I'm sure Intamin has also had someone onsite at times throughout the process. But Intamin had little to do with the actual dredging and excavating that took up millions in this rides $25 million budget, and therefore most likely never saw all of that money at any point.

Again, if Fahrenheit cost $12 million, the ride itself probably cost between $6-$7 million. As some of you realize, there's a lot more that goes into a steel coaster that what the designer sells.

Are people really arguing about this? Unless you are the ones writing the checks for Hershey, why is it such a big deal?

Moving on... anyone know when test runs may begin now that the track circuit is complete?

I agree--this whole "what did SkyRush actually cost?" discussion is getting a bit ridiculous. Let's all move on from this, shall we?

That dirt road they built in the middle of the river for the construction vehicles: Now that they are finishing up, are they going to make it even with the original river bed or are they just going to fill it back up as is when they are done?

^Length means naught to a point. Storm Runner has a little over half the ride time, yet has been my #1 steel coaster for the eighth year running now. I wouldn't worry. And besides, it would be ridiculously hard to stuff any more track into that area anyway, let alone for a hyper with a wider reach envelope than most.

I'm rather skeptical about the length of Skyrush, I hope the intensity will make up for this but I kinda doubt this will be the case.

I'd rather it be short. That way, I won't have to wait in line as much!

That dirt road they built in the middle of the river for the construction vehicles: Now that they are finishing up, are they going to make it even with the original river bed or are they just going to fill it back up as is when they are done?

The plans submitted to the Army Corps of Engineers showed a permanent gravel maintenance road underwater in the middle of the creek.

http://www.nab.usace.army.mil/Regulatory/PublicNotice/Pennsylvania/10-00631Rev.pdf

project2012mpath.png.44390d5a398fa48fc90e3bdd9da853d0.png

Edited by ahecht

There's actually one of those types of maintenance roads at my old Scout camp. Except it's permanently partially submerged and occasionally decides to wash away trucks...

I absolutely cannot wait to see this start testing.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot that TPR really doesn't like the word J-e-e-p, even if I am referring to a particular kind of car

My boyfriend thinks Skyrush looks amazing. I asked him why, and he said it's because the ride has so much packed into it, and that the airtime will be different than your normal airtime... Whatever THAT means. lol

LOL - It means that the airtime will / could be "ejector" airtime vs floater. We'll know a lot more when the ride starts testing, but Skyrush really looks to be one of the most intense coasters on the planet, not to mention 2012.

LOL - It means that the airtime will / could be "ejector" airtime vs floater. We'll know a lot more when the ride starts testing, but Skyrush really looks to be one of the most intense coasters on the planet, not to mention 2012.

I wouldn't say one of the most intense on the planet just yet. I think it will definately be most intense of 2012 though. I think it has potential to be really intense, but I want to wait until I see it test first.