TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Looking at the side profile, I feel like the drop is only 80* looking at I305, it seems to be steeper, not by much, but a tad steeper. Either way, Skyrush looks awesome, and I can't wait to see photos of it with the creek at normal height, it's going to be so photogenic.

I think I305 just looks steeper because it's taller and has a longer drop. This hits 85º and starts pulling out immediately, as opposed to I305 which takes a bit more time.

^Those really quick transitions you see twice on maverick or 3 times on I305.

Aha, but Skyrush doesn't have that.

It does have a bückel, which is similar, but on a hill.

It will be installed right here:

The entry will go over the long, low curve on the left.

The exit will connect to that piece on the right.

What is the world is a bückel? And also, this track on the lift looks nothing like Intamin track, and I think it looks different from I305 too!

Yeah, let's not turn this into the Stengel Dive-y thingy argument again.

Like how there is no Stengel dive, just an overbanked turn? lol. Stengel dives works on the principal of some airtime, something that turn will not have. Just so were clear! (btw I didn't read or engage during the aforementioned argument that apparently took place - but I thought the same thing - NOT a Stengel)

Cant wait to go to Hershey...this looks soooo good.

Yeah, let's not turn this into the Stengel Dive-y thingy argument again.

Like how there is no Stengel dive, just an overbanked turn? lol. Stengel dives works on the principal of some airtime, something that turn will not have. Just so were clear! (btw I didn't read or engage during the aforementioned argument that apparently took place - but I thought the same thing - NOT a Stengel)

Cant wait to go to Hershey...this looks soooo good.

None of use have ridden it yet, so how do we know it doesn't have airtime? I'm not trying to start up the argument again but still, how would we know.

F. F. S.

This is NOT what I had in mind. I said "Stengel Dive-y thingy" for a reason.

So - anyone heard anything more about Sooperdooperlooper's new trains?

Physics my friend, physics.

It'll be a fun element. I have a feeling it'll ride similarly to the turn on Dominator, just much quicker rotation and more speed. The pictures and the POV tell a completely different story but if there's anything that's not positive G it'll be after the rotation and near the downward fall. On Goliath the Stengel Dive is tall and meant to provide 0g at the top of the rotation. It can do this because its at the right height for there to be floater. On this, its carrying so much speed its basically impossible to achieve that with a hill so small. Watching Robs POV from Goliath makes it pretty clear the train loses the right amount of speed to have a weightless effect. This hill is just too small and too low to produce this.

I don't see what it matters. I remember Stengel describing that element and its purpose, this doesn't do that. Still, I LOVE the shaping of that overbanked turn. Train is going to haul azz through there. If I wasnt using my vacation days for a trip to Hawaii, a trip involving Hershey and other east coast parks would be in order.

AJ - its not even a thingy. Its an overbank, but you may call it a Stingy-dival for all I care. I just know how its going to ride. Unless there are tons of brakes or thruster's mounted throughout the ride, its pretty predictable. In a good way.

So - anyone heard anything more about Sooperdooperlooper's new trains?

I've been thinking quite a bit about this, as they're the first trains that originate from the progenitor company of Schwarzkopf, Gerstlauer. Seeing the NTAG trains in profile from the Gertstlauer website made me think we're going to see a very similar chassis design- down to the wheelbase. The dimensions from NTAG to sdL are very similar, and with some minor 'tweaks' to the design, it's entirely likely this is where the design on the trains is coming from.

There is my second 'theory' of this as well: Gerstlauer still holds all the original Schwarzkopf designs for track (See also: Eurofighter) trains and static design works. We could see an 'evolution' of the original Schwarzkopf Mk2a-c trains, with updated safety changes (NO- NOT OTSRs people... more like redundancy devices for the trains beyond the magnetic brakes.) With many of His designs now approaching 35-40 years old, these nextgen trains should add another 35-40 years of safe operation with the Schwarzkopf name on them.

(And perhaps we should send some really REALLY nice pictures to SFMM... with a title of "HINT HINT HINT"

R.D.

Praise be to Anton

^Yup. The Superman coasters do the same thing, as well as the smaller Intamin launchers that solely do turns and layered hills (i.e. Rita, Desert Race, etc.) You can think of it as the twisties that I305 has, but with the twist higher in the air to be more of an airtime hill with the change in direction.

Also, thank you Real for the most logical post in this thread since day one. A post that should (but I'm sure will not) end the Stengel Dive argument once and for all.

And on the SDL trains - I absolutely cannot wait to see what they look like! We were told no-OTSRs at East Coast Bash, so no worries there. But I'm curious to see the design of them, and how similar (or how different) they are from the current ones!

As for the drop angle, I'm pretty sure that either the camera wasn't 100% level when I took the shot and that I wasn't looking at it completely from the side. Even so, it's steeper than El Toro, which has an insane first drop so I don't think 5 degrees is going to matter.

Sooperdooperlooper's brakes do look different from what they were in the summer. The sidewalk goes by the MCBR behind the station so I was checking that out. Earlier last week the running lights were on.

I saw some photos this morning that showed the workers moving the top-piece around with the crane and since I haven't heard anything today, I am willing to bet that tomorrow might be the day. I'll be going over again tomorrow afternoon to check it out.