TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Now we're talkin' - a possible layout! I've said it before, I'm not into the viral campaign at all. You guys can have fun figuring all that stuff out. I'm only intersted in knowing this ride's layout and its manufacturer, both of which may have been answered with this image.

I will agree that this layout looks very Intamin-esque, but let's not be so quick to judge. B&M's lift supports use similar footers. It's just that their supports are 'V' shaped, based large (but few) footers under the lift. Having said that, if this is indeed the layout, I'm 95% sure it will be Intamin, based on a few things. I'll still hold out a 5% sliver of hope for B&M, though.

Looks like a twisty layout if I must say.

Not to be overly critical, but I already have my reservations about this layout, if this is the layout.

1) It's too short... again. This layout looks less than 4000 ft, which is way too short for a megacoaster.

2) It's twisted, not the out and back, hilly, air-time filled design I was hoping for.

3) Looking at the layout, and considering the topography of the land there, it looks like there is right-hand twisting first drop. I would much rather have a straight first drop on a megacoaster. There is much more of a sense of free-fall on a straight drop than a twisting one.

4) It looks like you hit the brakes before you make the U turn over Comet's station, making the actual ride even shorter.

5) Looking at the station, it's small. Almost seems too small for three thrains. I'm thinking two... again.

I'll reserve total judgement until I ride it. It could totally be a kick-ass ride when it's all said and done. But as far as initial impressions go, I'm a little disappointed. I've been waiting for over a decade for Hershey to add a megacoaster. I always envisioned a people-eating, long out & back, with a ton of air, and lap-bar restraints. We'll be getting none of that, if this is the design.

I guess what I'm basically saying is that it's cool to see a layout, but I hope this isn't totally accurate. Having said that, I don't know what else it could be, especially if the image is only a week old.

^Intamin doesn't build long out and back mega coasters like B&M does. Yet all of their mega coasters are very highly rated. Hell, 305 isn't even a mile long, and it's one of the most highly regarded coasters on the planet. Expedition GeForce is a twisty-ish layout with airtime hills thrown in, as is Bizarro, and those have pretty stellar reputations, as well. The same can be said for Goliath at Walibi World and all the mega-lites. Intamin knows how to do airtime, and from the looks of things, there are several airtime hills in this layout.

This is certainly not going to be B&M either, just look at the footer placement based on the supports in this picture of Intimidator. Nobody else does the two-support lift hill like Intamin.

For all we know we could be looking at a giga coaster. I305 was fit into only a slightly larger space than the location at hershey.

1)The first turn on 305 looks to be the same radius as the first few turns on the new coaster.

2)The way the footers are set up before the supposed brake run are in similar locations to the I305 overbank-to-brake run.

3)At the same camera elevation on google earth, in comparison, with slight modifications, I305 looks like it could fit in that same area

4)The lift and the first airtime hill looks to be the same length as the one on 305.

Instead of 212 feet tall, we could be looking at 312 ft tall .

^Intamin doesn't build long out and back mega coasters like B&M does. Yet all of their mega coasters are very highly rated. Hell, 305 isn't even a mile long, and it's one of the most highly regarded coasters on the planet. Expedition GeForce is a twisty-ish layout with airtime hills thrown in, as is Bizarro, and those have pretty stellar reputations, as well. The same can be said for Goliath at Walibi World and all the mega-lites. Intamin knows how to do airtime, and from the looks of things, there are several airtime hills in this layout.

I totally agree with you regarding the quality of Intamin megacoasters. I would rank just about every Intamin mega above just about every B&M mega I've ridden, and the reason is the designs/layouts are better. They make great rides, many of which have great air. I am excited to have one close to home.

But, and this is an old argument, all of the Intamin megacoasters to this point run with lap bar restraints, with the exception of I-305. And it seems to me that moving forward, all Intamin rides will have OTS restraints. B&M's designs/layouts are great enough that when you combine it with their elite restraints, you get a better experience, in my opinion - one that I would rather have. This would all be moot for me if this Intamin ends up with lap bar restraints.

Additionally, Hershey already has two twisting Intamin rides, and this ride, even if it is superior to the other two, will feel like more of the same in many ways. A hilly out & back would have been a better fit for the park.

This is certainly not going to be B&M either, just look at the footer placement based on the supports in this picture of Intimidator. Nobody else does the two-support lift hill like Intamin.

I swear there is a B&M out there with a more linear A-frame lift support structure, something like ' vV ' if you can picture what I mean with that. Maybe in my mind I was mixing their current support structure with Alpengeist's. Something similar to Alpengeist's lift support is also an option, though unlikely.

Edited by Magnum PA

Look at the picture, the supports are that way because of the water below. The lift hill of the new coaster is apparently going to go over the river right there (they don't like to build in that river) so its totally pleasurable that this is a B&M if your looking at just the lift hill (Or any other company for that matter, as its a good design solution of the problem of building in the river)

For all we know we could be looking at a giga coaster. I305 was fit into only a slightly larger space than the location at hershey.

1)The first turn on 305 looks to be the same radius as the first few turns on the new coaster.

2)The way the footers are set up before the supposed brake run are in similar locations to the I305 overbank-to-brake run.

3)At the same camera elevation on google earth, in comparison, with slight modifications, I305 looks like it could fit in that same area

4)The lift and the first airtime hill looks to be the same length as the one on 305.

Instead of 212 feet tall, we could be looking at 312 ft tall .

There is absolutely no way that this can be a giga, not by where the station is placed and where the crest of the lift hill seems to be located. The only way a giga could fit into that space is if they would place the station where the one games stand is located (next to Skyview). We should all know that isn't happening either. Also look at it this way, having a giga would make all the other coasters feel like kiddie rides.

Yes, I'm quoting myself. I apologize. I just felt the need to comment again on the possibility of this ride being a mega-lite, but I didn't feel like retyping...

A 45-degree lift gets to 200' pretty quick. And there's a decent-sized straightaway from the assumed station area to the opposite side of the creek.

Yes. If my 10th grade geometry serves me correctly, at a 45-degree angle, and with the ride's highest point making a 90-degree angle with the ground, it would take 212 feet in length to get to 212 feet in height. The length of the lift would then be @ 300 feet of track. Aren't triangles great?

I don't know where all of this mega-lite stuff started. It's really kinda dumb. Mega-lite is Intamin's term for a 'mini-mega' of sorts, and they are a little over 100 feet tall. The ride is going to be 212 feet tall, and we've known that for a long time. There's nothing 'lite' about that. This will be a megacoaster by definition, being over 200 feet tall.

I am fully aware that this may be a short ride in length, which will totally suck. None of Hershey's steel coasters are more than 2800 feet long. Hopefully this ride will be different.

But let's end the mega-lite talk please.

Unfortunately, if the leaked layout is accurate, we're not getting a long ride either.

Look at the picture, the supports are that way because of the water below. The lift hill of the new coaster is apparently going to go over the river right there (they don't like to build in that river) so its totally pleasurable that this is a B&M if your looking at just the lift hill (Or any other company for that matter, as its a good design solution of the problem of building in the river)

If the layout is correct, it shows footers that will be in the water where the track crosses over itself. Unless they get even more creative with the supports than they were with Great Bear.

And a 3500ft Intamin is better than a 5500ft B&M hyper anyday, in my book.

I couldn't disagree more. A 3500ft ride at high speeds would leave such a sour taste in my mouth, no matter how fun that short course was. A 5500ft B&M so close to home would be a dream come true. If a ride is fun, I want it to be as long as possible.

^They filed for supports in the river. 16, I think?

Approved for 32.

Also look at it this way, having a giga would make all the other coasters feel like kiddie rides.

Not true at all. Volcano, Dominator, Flight of Fear, Anaconda, Magnum, Mantis, Raptor, Wicked Twister, Gemini, Maverick, etc. are all, at least arguably, intense and great coasters at their respective parks, and don't even come close to feeling like kiddie rides because there are bigger coasters across the parks.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Have you ridden I305? I'm pretty sure 90% of the board would agree that how quick that ride's over leaves no sour taste at all. You do so much more in that 30 seconds than any B&M hyper. It's not like you're walking off 17-second Dragster.

I couldn't agree more. You don't see everyone scrambling to book their trips to Carowinds to ride the cookie-cutter that is I232...but I305 is one of those coasters that most enthusiasts must ride at some point, and will go out of their way to do so. Regarding Dragster, even so, a ride like that would still put any US park on the map and get people talking like I305 has.

I'm not going to get into a B&M versus Intamin debate on which is better. I will say this though, I will go out of my way booking coaster trips around new Intamin coasters, while I usually wait a couple years to ride a new B&M. Example being, I was there riding El Toro in its first week of operations, while I'm just getting around to riding Diamondback for the first time next month.

Ahhhh... the "Inty" vs. "beemer" debate has left us forgetting one thing...

HAS ANYBODY FOUND THE F'ING THIRD CODE YET?

Remember- Inty or Beemer, it's going to be a new coaster. Be thankful for this. You could be in Phoenix like a few of us and DYING WITH AN OD HOPKINS COASTER.

I haven't been paying much attention to the viral campaign as I'm just looking forward to the announcement but when I saw this potential layout a few pages back I felt like chiming in.

This looks more like an Intamin layout than a Beemer as it reminds me of, based on the many photos I've seen of it, Expedition G-Force in Germany.