TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Count me among those that think the viral marketing is obnoxious, and I wish we would all stop paying attention to it.

I personally wonder what has taken Hershey so long to hop aboard the hypercoaster train. Dorney's will be 15 years old when Attraction 2012 opens. Nitro will be 11. I've been waiting for a Hershey-hyper for over a decade. At this point for me, these games are really annoying.

If it's true that no announcement is coming until August, then that is just stupid. I'm not interested in playing any games or cracking codes this April - Spring was supposed to be a "joint announcement", right?. I'm not interested in looking at photographs of markings, or land clearings, or even footers all summer, with comments from the peanut gallery, speculating about what we're looking at, with no inside information at all.

Keystone Thrills guys, please don't take this the wrong way. I enjoy reading your site and following the goings ons in PA. But being the park's contact for the clues doesn't make you guys insiders, it makes you tools in HE&R's hands. They're making you feel like insiders, without giving you any more information than they're giving anyone else. You're supplying them with free marketing, and they are taking full advantage. If you're ok with that, that's your perogative. They might tell you you're getting paid in 'site hits', but it doesn't add up, and it certainly doesn't help that you post everything they give you here. Food for thought.

Regarding Attraction 2012, here's what's going to happen:

April comes with another clue or two. Then the park opens with teaser signs scattered throughout the park. You may even see a few "Pardon Our Mess" signs in Comet Hollow and near the park entrance. Land is cleared and footers are placed between now and the end of summer. The official announcement is made in August, just before demo starts on games buildings and the bathroom next to the Comet. Track starts to arrive in the September-October range, and is staged in the parking lot next to Chocolate World or in the old pool area next to the lighthouse. Vertical construction starts shortly after Halloween.

It's not hard to figure out what's happening or what's going to happen. I'm only interesting in knowing whether it's Intamin or B&M, and seeing the layout. Wake me up in August, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably more excited about a hyper coming to Hersheypark than most everyone here. That does not mean, however, that I want to play their game. Sorry to spoil anyone's fun. Didn't mean to be that guy. If anyone disagrees with me, just ignore everything I said.

Wow. Way to be a debbie downer. While we obviously won't know any specifics until the official announcement I appreciate the park reaching out to enthusiasts and "playing" with us a bit. And, really, this viral campaign is reaching a very niche group of people. Speculation can be fun for enthusiasts and it helps build hype and anticipation for the park. Nothing wrong with either.

Count me among those that think the viral marketing is obnoxious, and I wish we would all stop paying attention to it.

I personally wonder what has taken Hershey so long to hop aboard the hypercoaster train. Dorney's will be 15 years old when Attraction 2012 opens. Nitro will be 11. I've been waiting for a Hershey-hyper for over a decade. At this point for me, these games are really annoying.

If it's true that no announcement is coming until August, then that is just stupid. I'm not interested in playing any games or cracking codes this April - Spring was supposed to be a "joint announcement", right?. I'm not interested in looking at photographs of markings, or land clearings, or even footers all summer, with comments from the peanut gallery, speculating about what we're looking at, with no inside information at all.

Keystone Thrills guys, please don't take this the wrong way. I enjoy reading your site and following the goings ons in PA. But being the park's contact for the clues doesn't make you guys insiders, it makes you tools in HE&R's hands. They're making you feel like insiders, without giving you any more information than they're giving anyone else. You're supplying them with free marketing, and they are taking full advantage. If you're ok with that, that's your perogative. They might tell you you're getting paid in 'site hits', but it doesn't add up, and it certainly doesn't help that you post everything they give you here. Food for thought.

April comes with another clue or two. Then the park opens with teaser signs scattered throughout the park. You may even see a few "Pardon Our Mess" signs in Comet Hollow and near the park entrance. Land is cleared and footers are placed between now and the end of summer. The official announcement is made in August, just before demo starts on games buildings and the bathroom next to the Comet. Track starts to arrive in the September-October range, and is staged in the parking lot next to Chocolate World or in the old pool area next to the lighthouse. Vertical construction starts shortly after Halloween.

It's not hard to figure out what's happening or what's going to happen. I'm only interesting in knowing whether it's Intamin or B&M, and seeing the layout. Wake me up in August, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably more excited about a hyper coming to Hersheypark than most everyone here. That does not mean, however, that I want to play their game. Sorry to spoil anyone's fun. Didn't mean to be that guy. If anyone disagrees with me, just ignore everything I said.

I don't understand what all the hate about viral marketing is about.

It's fun and it gets people excited about the new attraction. Don't like it? Just ignore it...

Viral marketing in general is really taking off and won't go away any time soon, especially with more parks turning to social media. And even then, the info released by Hersheypark is still vague enough to the point where it can be just about anything and not just a hyper.

Sorry, but I disagree with you on several different things. As someone who has followed what went on with Nantimi, I find it to be a unique way of advertising a new attraction and it gets people talking about it. I shared your opinion on this back when this was going on, but once it ended, it made me warm up to it.

As for my website, I really don't care if HE&R is using me or the website and to be awnest I really don't consider us to be "insiders". Now if you mean that several of the members work at the park, then yes, we do have a few "insiders".

It comes down to this, whenever you post something talking about a place or location, you are automatically giving a place free-marketing. It is unavoidable and I really don't see the reason why you're so against it. Same thing with the site hits. I created the site because I enjoy what I do and for a hobby. For me, It doesn't even matter to me if I get 5 hits or 5,000 hits in a day. And when you say that it doesn't add up, even when this game is over the site may lose a few members who only stayed around for the game, but we will likely gain a couple of long-time members. As far as posting here, like I said, I manage my site as a hobby and I am not competing with anyone. I just post and let people decide what they think is happening and if it makes sense (example RIT).

I dunno, all Busch Williamsburg is doing (so far) for their 2012 coaster was announce that there would be an announcement far in advance (essentially what Hershey is doing sans the viral campaign) and it's getting talked about and speculated on long before it opens too.

Kennywood had absolutely no viral marketing with Sky Rocket, they just casually announced it one day. And how many people talked about it? This coaster is over a year away from opening and it's getting talked about more than Sky Rocket ever did AFTER its announcement.

True, but both Intimidators were talked about more before they were announced than what's being speculated now. Besides, then it shows that this marketing game is doing what it's supposed to do: get people talking.

I like to wait until an announcement too. Don't see anything wrong with what Magnum PA wrote. Corny games or not, the target audience is still going to ride it once it opens.

Exactly my point. If Hershey is using the games to build a buzz online in the coaster community, they'd be wasting their time and effort. The permission request to exceed the height varience in 2012 is what started the buzz and discussion. Not this game they're playing, though it will stir the pot. Like Ed Farmer was saying, it's the coaster community that will come and ride this thing no matter what viral marketing the park does. These rides sell themselves to people like us.

More likely, their intent is for the buzz they create in the coaster community to spill over into the mainstream. It already has in the form of that article in the Patriot News. And it didn't cost them a red cent, except for the time their marketing and IT departments put into the letters/website.

For me, it's like that old Family Guy episode, where Stewie is taken into an ethnic foster home and proceeds to tell all of the children of diferent races why their peoples hate each other. The kids start fighting, and Stewie says, "Dance, puppets. Dance!" Sorry, I'm not dancing.

Ccron10, when I mentioned posting everything on TPR, I'm not talking about you guys competing with this site. I was just making the point that if you wanted to reap the benefits (for being the park's contact in the game) with site hits, posting things on other sites would only encourage people to not visit yours.

If I were you, I might ask for compensation for the marketing your site is doing for the park, maybe in the form of season passes or something. It's worth a shot...

I just tried something...

Noting the name of the file itself (with the sub-extention of jvdv) I tried to place it in...

It says the domain expired on 3/05/11, and that it's up for renewal via GoDaddy.com

Does this mean anything? I dunno... But I think it might be another clue buried inside the messages...

R.D.

EDIT: I'm also noting a numerical signficance here; perhaps it's my somewhat 'odd' thinking:

11 slashes in the forwaded page... 11 stars on the RIT crest... 1911 founding date.

Just a hunch: I think these might be part of something, too-

Edited by QueerRudie

Ccron10, when I mentioned posting everything on TPR, I'm not talking about you guys competing with this site. I was just making the point that if you wanted to reap the benefits (for being the park's contact in the game) with site hits, posting things on other sites would only encourage people to not visit yours.

If I were you, I might ask for compensation for the marketing your site is doing for the park, maybe in the form of season passes or something. It's worth a shot...

Oh ok. Understood.

Well, I don't know about compensation because they are giving my site hits in the end, but at this point I'll think about it. I really don't want to be asking for more than what it's worth.

Just got this email today....

If you are having trouble viewing this email with images, please go here.

The long, cold winter is over and it's time for some spring family fun in Hershey, The Sweetest Place On Earth! Every weekend in March and April, enjoy family activities and events across the destination, including Springtime In The Park at Hersheypark on April 16-17 and 22-24.

Stay at Hershey Resorts and receive admission to The Hershey Story Museum, access to special kids' activities, the best ticket prices for Springtime In The Park, and so much more! Overnight getaways from $179.*

Sweeten your stay with our Family Fun Package and receive 25% off select resorts activities.^

For more details and to reserve your spring getaway, call 1-800-HERSHEY (437-7439).

*Per room, per night, based on availability. Excludes tax and gratuities. Other restrictions may apply. ^Offer dates vary. Discount extends to one activity per stay. All activities are weather-permitting.

This email was sent to eddie200330@atlanticbb.net by:

Hershey, The Sweetest Place On Earth

27 W. Chocolate Ave.

Hershey, PA 17033

USA

Go here to unsubscribe from this email list or to modify your subscriptions.

© Hershey Entertainment & Resorts. All rights reserved.

View our Privacy Policy.

@Steve- Sky Rocket was recepted well here in Pittsburgh, a lot in the newspapers actually. I think at a national level, however, the opening of Intimidator(s) overshadowed it greatly.

Still, can't wait to see what Hershy brings in here soon.

I love what Hershey and Kings Island are doing. First of all, it's brilliant marketing. But second of all they're HAVING FUN with the enthusiasts. It's the theme park business... so they're in the business of having fun. If I were them I would be doing the same thing. So they're advertising the park, big deal? It's a win-win situation. They feed them "information" so their site gets traffic and they give Hershey some more exposure. If it works out for everyone, then what's the problem?

Nothing wrong with companies advertising and nothing wrong with people having fun. If you'd like to stay out of this wild goose chase that they're sending us on then you're free to do so.

Here is the News 8 interview with Chris and I:

http://www.wgal.com/video/27237082/detail.html

Unfortunately, they had the video code disabled so I was unable to embed the video right here for you to see. Looks like they had the blueprints out on that exact day that we were there. According to what was shown, those blueprints must have indicated where all the utilities were located (probably has the PA One Call flags marked as well).

From Screamscape:

2012 - Attraction 2012 / Project X - (3/23/11) The latest rumor about the Hersheypark 2012 coaster to come in claims that the new creation may be quite long, which will be especially impressive in a park known for it’s small to average length coasters. If this particular rumor is true, the coaster may end up being close to 1.5 miles in length, which would put it near 7920 feet long. (Maybe they should have called it Project XXL instead of Project X.)

For some comparison, the longest coaster in the world right now is Steel Dragon 2000 at 8133 feet. The longest coaster in the USA is The Beast (ranked 3rd world-wide) which has 7359 feet of track. It sure would be nice to see the Hersheypark 2012 coaster beat either of these records.

Chris posted the same thing over at Keystone Thrills. It surely would be sweet to have a coaster of that size this close to home, but I really don't see how they could fit it into the proposed area without leaving the current boundries of the park. Something that large would definitely pull the people in.

Isn't the ride suppose to be 212 feet tall? I could of swore I read about Hershey filling some permits or something for an 212 foot tall attraction for 2012.

I do believe Hershey is getting a Hypercoaster I just finding it hard to even think about believing it being 1.5 miles long or more I guess will see in a few months.