TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

A 45-degree lift gets to 200' pretty quick. And there's a decent-sized straightaway from the assumed station area to the opposite side of the creek.

Yes. If my 10th grade geometry serves me correctly, at a 45-degree angle, and with the ride's highest point making a 90-degree angle with the ground, it would take 212 feet in length to get to 212 feet in height. The length of the lift would then be @ 300 feet of track. Aren't triangles great?

I don't know where all of this mega-lite stuff started. It's really kinda dumb. Mega-lite is Intamin's term for a 'mini-hyper' of sorts, and they are a little over 100 feet tall. The ride is going to be 212 feet tall, and we've known that for a long time. There's nothing 'lite' about that. This will be a hypercoaster by definition, being over 200 feet.

I am fully aware that this may be a short ride in length, which will totally suck. None of Hershey's steel coasters are more than 2800 feet long. Hopefully this ride will be different. The cost of steel for a coaster comes out to roughly $1000 per foot of track. So, a 5000 foot ride will cost $5 million in track alone. (I don't think support columns and paint are figured into that $1000/ft.) Knowing Hershey, they won't go that far. I'm hoping it's at least 4000 feet, praying for 5000.

But let's end the mega-lite talk please.

EDIT:

$5 million may not sound like a lot for a coaster, but keep in mind that you have to add costs for design, excavation, footers, nuts and bolts, shipping track and columns, physical construction, electric, computers and sensors, chain lift and motors (or cable lift system), trains, brakes, (in this case) a water element, theming, a station, queues, air gates, on-ride photos... the list goes on and on and the costs add up quickly.

The difference between a 4000 ft ride and a 5000 ft ride is over a million dollars, which may seem small when compared to the cost of the entire coaster, and if you finance the ride over X number of years. But it's still a million dollars we're talking about. Hershey understands that all too well, and has no problem cutting it short, as we've seen.

Edited by Magnum PA

From the park's Facebook Page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=199249693422565&id=16994689356

The Tudor Grill (outside of the front gate) will be getting a major overhaul this year and we’d like your help renaming it! The 3 interior rooms will be themed a Character room, a Carrousel Room, and a Coaster room. Many of the elements will be 3 dimensional. What would be the perfect name for this triple themed restaurant that is unique to Hersheypark?

I guess they're having a naming contest for the restaurant. I've already posted my naming suggestions.

From the park's Facebook Page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=199249693422565&id=16994689356

The Tudor Grill (outside of the front gate) will be getting a major overhaul this year and we’d like your help renaming it! The 3 interior rooms will be themed a Character room, a Carrousel Room, and a Coaster room. Many of the elements will be 3 dimensional. What would be the perfect name for this triple themed restaurant that is unique to Hersheypark?

I guess they're having a naming contest for the restaurant. I've already posted my naming suggestions.

Same here...can't wait to see what they pick.

I'm also going to be at Chocolate World this Sunday (2/6) for some of their Chocolate-Covered Feb festivities as well as taking our annual off-season trip around the outside of the park. Anyone local who may be around there that day, feel free to say hi if you'd like. Expect lots of photos to come soon after.

I love Hersheypark and their coaster collection, but the one thing I've thought would be a great addition is a hyper. Needless to say, I'm very intrigued by this 2012 project they are working on. Frankly, a dive machine would be great too, but a hyper from B&M or Intamin would be perfect! Either way, I'm thinking a trip back to the park will be in order come 2012. Last time I was there was 2005, so I haven't ridden Fahrenheit yet either. It truly amazes me how Hershey continually fits in new coasters and weaves them in amongst other rides.

I think a hyper would be a great addition to there lineup, as its basically the only thing Hershey lacks. They have the invert, they have the sweet accelerator, they have the vertical lift/beyond verticl drop coaster, 3 solid woodies (including a racer, and if you count the racer as 2 coasters, then there's 3 GCI's here), the legendary Schwarzkopf, a wild mouse, boomerang, and a mine train. The only thing they lack is the hypercoaster. Intamin or B&M, I'm sure it'll be great for Hershey, giving them the complete coaster lineup.

I have not been following the thread so please forgive me!

I would like them to get something really random like a stand up or floorless. They do not have either yet. I would love to see something really tall - maybe more then 200 feet? They do have Great Bear but I do not think that is really that tall and such a short coaster.

I came up with three possibilities this were to be from B&M:

1. B&M Hypercoaster - Well, like some of you are saying, this park lacks an airtime machine, so this could be good.

2. B&M Dive Machine - Some of the stuff asked by RIT labcoats about splash effects, make me think this could be a Dive Machine too. Also, the 212 ft. height fits a Dive Machine.

3. B&M Wing Coaster (or whatever Raptor at Gardaland will be called) - See my thoughts on the splash effects for more information. And if Hersheypark wants something unique and never before seen in the area, it could be this.

Any one of these would be good (I also wouldn't mind an Intamin ride), but we'll just have to wait and see.

I came up with three possibilities this were to be from B&M:

1. B&M Hypercoaster - Well, like some of you are saying, this park lacks an airtime machine, so this could be good.

2. B&M Dive Machine - Some of the stuff asked by RIT labcoats about splash effects, make me think this could be a Dive Machine too. Also, the 212 ft. height fits a Dive Machine.

3. B&M Wing Coaster (or whatever Raptor at Gardaland will be called) - See my thoughts on the splash effects for more information. And if Hersheypark wants something unique and never before seen in the area, it could be this.

Any one of these would be good (I also wouldn't mind an Intamin ride), but we'll just have to wait and see.

Referring back to what I said before, with the kind of space Hersheypark has (or doesn't have), a ride with really wide trains doesn't make sense. A B&M hypercoaster could possibly work, but the other two wouldn't if we expect this ride to be semi-compact (for a 212-ft monster) and able to twist itself around the Comet Hollow and Minetown areas which are already occupied by Comet, Superdooperlooper, Great Bear, and Coal Cracker.

How wide are those 10-across dive machine trains anyway? Aren't they like...20 or 25 feet wide including reach clearances?

Edited by A.J.

Here is our latest video update over at Keystone Thrills from my visit last Sunday:

http://keystonethrills.megabb.com/t157p750-attraction-2012-rumor-and-news-discussion#3053

Further into the video, my father explains about the "PA One Call System" which is labeled on numerous flags along the park's border from Creekside Catering to Comet. Looks like numerous utility markings have shown up regarding the 2012 project. Enjoy!

Here is the latest scoop from Screamscape:

2012 - Attraction 2012 - (2/17/11) While we still don’t know a lot about the 2012 coaster on the way to Hersheypark, it seem fairly certain it is an Intamin mega-coaster of some kind, with a likely layout that could be best described as a somewhat twisted out-n-back that will leave Comet Hollow and run down to the catering area and back again alongside the river.

One thing is interest has come up however, which is that Hersheypark is apparently looking into their options for a queue management system to use in 2012 as well. I’m told that nothing firm has been decided and they are looking at all the options from something electronic like Lo-Q to a basic ticket book or day-pass style system they can handle entirely in-house.

On a slightly related note...I know we're watching an entirely different coaster slowly coming to fruition, and it is probably WAY too early to suggest this...but since Hershey's last two coasters were Intamin and it seems likely that this one will be as well, does anyone think coaster #13 might be a Zacspin in place of the cancelled Turbulence?

^From the clues we received, like for example 212 ft, I doubt it.

Given their current building trend, I wouldn't expect it to be until 2016 unless something changes.

The Lo-Q idea interests me because for certain attractions already built, it would be easy to add a second queue line while for others, it would be a challenge.

The only coasters that always seem to have long lines are Fahrenheit and Roller Soaker. I know it would make standby lines even worse but the Boardwalk seems to be where the lines are. I have never seen any other water park that has a line for a wavepool (let alone a 45 minute wait) and a lazy river with an hour wait on a weekday.

Depending on the price, I'd consider getting it since I'd like to avoid 30 minute waits if possible. Or I guess I could save the money and just try to go on slow days like last a Sunday last October when all coasters except Fahrenheit were 10 minutes or less (and most were less than 5 minutes)