TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

IMO, Hersheypark doesn't deserve another "short" coaster. Storm Runner is over and done with before you can blink, and Fahrenheit is short as well. I hope whatever they put in is at least the length of one side of Lightning Racer.

IMO, Hersheypark doesn't deserve another "short" coaster. Storm Runner is over and done with before you can blink, and Fahrenheit is short as well. I hope whatever they put in is at least the length of one side of Lightning Racer.

I agree with SR being short, but it is lacking a lift and what it does do is pack quite a punch in the little bit of real estate. It could've been just another up and over and done with like the other accelerators. Lightning Racer is only 600 feet longer than than the 2 of them, if they are going to go "big", then they need to go longer than that. I would say at least 5000 feet for a good hyper style ride.

I still don't think that the stakes out there now are the layout of the coaster. I think they are more like a circle on where the layout will be confined inside of.

Eddie, your're right. 32 footers are supposed to be built down near the catering area.

You could be right because I don't think there are any stakes in the area of Wave Swinger and such areas. The closest stakes to there (and other public areas) are along the edge of the Comet and behind the Tilt-A-Whirl and the games stand, the rest outline that area that you were able to get pics of back around the creek. Perhaps they are to indicate where they couldn't really mark the ground with survey markers. When I was looking around Comet Hollow Sunday evening, I didn't see anything new in the way of markings or stakes. So perhaps we'll see a change of this come the spring.

I've yet to be fully disappointed by Hershey, excluding the Boardwalk. But that's another story and rant.

I have yet to be fully impressed with any Hersheypark addition since Lightning Racer. I was impressed with the announcement of Fahrenheit, because I was expecting something a lot smaller. But ALL of Hersheyparks steel coasters are too short, with the one exception maybe being Great Bear - but let's face it, there's a lot of dead track on it.

Storm Runner is the worst at Hersheypark when it comes to length. Launch or no launch, it just comes to an abrupt end right when it should be getting good. At least with KK and TTD you know going in that they are one trick ponies. Xcelerator at Knotts, even though it's shorter than Storm Runner, is the perfect launched coaster for me because it feels like a complete ride, and it never gets old.

I just have this uneasy feeling, and it seems I'm not alone in this regard, that 2012 will bring us another steel coaster that just doesn't live up our expectations because we've ridden better, more complete hyper coasters at other parks.

I like the latest Eric-rendering, except the length of the ride and the first drop. I would much rather prefer a straight first drop to a curved one. There is much more of a sense of free fall on a straight drop.

What will impress me is a 5000+ foot out & back airtime/capacity machine, with three 32-36 passenger trains. That would be a break from the norm at Hersheypark.

I also find it funny how everyone here hates the Boardwalk. We just can't escape complaining about it.

Here it is folks.. the most overhyped 45 foot tall kiddie coaster complete with a helix!

Actually I was wondering if there is evidence that Hershey could utilize the yellow outlined area for this project. I'm assuming they own that land and it'd provide some much needed extra space for a longer coaster. Plus it borders the construction area perfectly.. aside from the road.. which is no big deal if there aren't any guest paths in that lot.

HP2012kids.jpg.58e1ab9baef2304326b929379be99f10.jpg

I agree that the rides are short, but I still manage to walk off of them feeling okay with it. Riding them with friends has really made it less about the ride itself and more about the experience with the people around you - and when you're riding Storm Runner with someone who's afraid of heights, it's quite the experience, no matter how short. It's a fun ride, and it packs a punch in the short amount of time it's running. I think the same of Great Bear - a lot of people hate it, but I absolutely love it. It might not be my favorite B&M, but it is by FAR my favorite layout from them. Fahrenheit doesn't fit this as much, but I love how they've been squeezing rides like GB and SR in - not into small nooks and crannies but out in the park, working around other rides and paths and what have you. The total creativity behind those rides is what makes me appreciate and enjoy them, even if they are short.

While I'm in the Photoshop mood today I wanted to make a huge map of how I see Hershey in the future. Here's what I see and feel more than free to yell at me or call me crazy. Over the last few years we've all heard plans to expand into the golf course, tear down Hersheypark Arena, a road realignment by ZooAmerica going into town, a new larger entrance, more resorts, a waterpark, etc. Here's how I see all of that happening.

Here's a guide -

Purple- Was part of the golf course, I see this as a new resort and possibly (but doubtfully) a standalone waterpark.

Red- Was part of golf course, future Hersheypark expansion.

Yellow- New road, one into Chocolate World, the other around the new expansion.

Blue- New tram route

Green- New larger entrance

Black- Current (I think) plan to reroute road that goes up by ZooAmerica to Cocoa Ave.

The other red areas are expansion areas after tearing down the arena and a small area by ZooAmerica/Antique Cars that will open after the construction. You could fit a few flats, new kids area, or a parking lot for ZooAmerica there since most of its lot will be gone.

The Hersheypark expansion would be a quick bridge from Founders Circle or Tudor Square across the creek, you could also build the other side into Comet Hollow.

That's about it! Any other ideas?

Hersheymastermaybe.jpg.928995afad11593374bca89a16c407f8.jpg

You may need to squint

I actually really like The Boardwalk. The area made Roller Soaker much less of a gimmick (which, even though it's boring as a ride, is a heck of a lot of fun with the right people). The only thing I didn't like about it was that it took over the Canyon River Rapids location.

I could see a unique hyper coaster being built. Instead of having a mid-course brake in the middle of the coaster, they could have it right before the initial lift hill. That way, there is much less work that would need to be done to Comet's structure, and you'd be able to go through the entire course without slowing down until the final brakes.

^That doesn't make sense. The whole point of an MCBR is to add a block to the ride and allow for an extra train to run smoothly and safely, while possibly trimming speed by a bit. Putting one at the beginning of the ride has no point.

Bad phrasing. I shouldn't have said MCBR - I meant to say to have the extra block section before the lift as opposed to in the middle of the ride.

^That doesn't make sense. The whole point of an MCBR is to add a block to the ride and allow for an extra train to run smoothly and safely, while possibly trimming speed by a bit. Putting one at the beginning of the ride has no point.

Millennium Force works ok without a MCBR and XL200 seems to work with what is essentially no MCBR, only at the end there. It's definitely possible and also, I wouldn't be surprised to see no MCBR on this ride if any of the layout predictions are right. Would anyone here be surprised if they only built it to run two trains?

Just some thoughts...

Pete

I wouldn't be surprised to see no MCBR on this ride if any of the layout predictions are right. Would anyone here be surprised if they only built it to run two trains?

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if this new ride only runs two trains. In fact, I'd be surprised if it ran three.

To operate three trains on a coaster you need to have an additional block brake, whether it's in the middle of the ride's course or at the end of the ride.

At Hersheypark, Looper has a series of block brakes at the end of the ride, and I believe it ran three trains at one point.

Trailblazer has a mid-course block, and I remember it having three trains at one point, but I doubt all three were ever used at once.

I've always wished Hersheypark would run three trains on all of their coasters, because Wildcat, Lightning Racer, and Great Bear all have a series of block breaks at the end of their rides. It could be done.

I remember being disappointed with the station set up of both Storm Runner and Fahrenheit. I feel both of those rides run at poor capacity, and that could have been corrected by designing the stations differently to allow more trains. Storm Runner could run two on each side of the station, much like TTD runs six, if they would have ended the ride differently and extended the station.

With Farhrenheit's short trains, a fourth should have been added as well. Though I will say that when there are three trains on Fahrenheit, they do seem to move them through pretty quickly, without stacking them. 12 people per train is just a really bad idea for a park this size.

Like I've said before, this new ride really needs to have three trains, especially if it uses a traditional lift. But I will most definitely not be surprised if there are only two, which will be disappointing. Two trains on a hypercoaster makes for a long wait.

Sooperdooperlooper does have 3 trains, but I think the 3rd one is in the maintenance building being used as spare parts. I don't know when they stopped using it, but the trains do have the current paint job on them.

Trailblazer had 3 trains at one time, but I'm guessing they went to two when they got new trains for it a couple of years ago.

I can only hope they have 3 trains for it. A people-eater that's a tad more popular than Lightning Racer is what the park needs.

How many does I 305 run??

That's a good point. I 305 only runs two trains, and I was surprised at first. But the cable lift is very fast, as is the average speed of the entire ride. The train leaves the station and it's back in a little over a minute. Really no need for a third train there. Also, the staff was really pumping the trains out the day I was there - something I don't see a lot of at Hersheypark. I 305 can operate at a high capacity with two trains. Most hypercoasters cannot.

Sooperdooperlooper does have 3 trains, but I think the 3rd one is in the maintenance building being used as spare parts. I don't know when they stopped using it, but the trains do have the current paint job on them.

Three trains on Sooperdooperlooper is overkill; generally I've seen crews able to dispatch a train as soon or before the previous one has cleared the brakes and is rolling down the transfer track.

While I'm in the Photoshop mood today I wanted to make a huge map of how I see Hershey in the future. Here's what I see and feel more than free to yell at me or call me crazy. Over the last few years we've all heard plans to expand into the golf course, tear down Hersheypark Arena, a road realignment by ZooAmerica going into town, a new larger entrance, more resorts, a waterpark, etc. Here's how I see all of that happening.

Here's a guide -

Purple- Was part of the golf course, I see this as a new resort and possibly (but doubtfully) a standalone waterpark.

Red- Was part of golf course, future Hersheypark expansion.

Yellow- New road, one into Chocolate World, the other around the new expansion.

Blue- New tram route

Green- New larger entrance

Black- Current (I think) plan to reroute road that goes up by ZooAmerica to Cocoa Ave.

The other red areas are expansion areas after tearing down the arena and a small area by ZooAmerica/Antique Cars that will open after the construction. You could fit a few flats, new kids area, or a parking lot for ZooAmerica there since most of its lot will be gone.

The Hersheypark expansion would be a quick bridge from Founders Circle or Tudor Square across the creek, you could also build the other side into Comet Hollow.

That's about it! Any other ideas?

Do you think that in part of the purple area you shaded, Hersheypark should build a new state-of-the-art stadium and replace the old one? Also, I doubt the old arena will ever be torn down. I remember hearing that it is some sort of landmark. Besides some great history occurred their, especially this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_Chamberlain%27s_100-point_game

Building a new state-of-the art stadium would be pointless since they already have the GIANT Center on the property. The still use the Arena for hockey practice and open ice-skating to the public. I have no clue on when they offer that, but plan on looking into it. While is does hold some historic value, I really don't know if it has much historic value like Vetran's Stadium and some of the others that were removed to make way for bigger places. They could get some use out of it if they wanted to and turn it into some sort of small indoor theme park or waterpark.

I can see them eventually doing a major upgrade to Hersheypark Stadium but I can't see them building anything else unless Hershey would decide to try to get a minor league baseball team or something on that level. The Harrisburg Senators are right down the road though.

I can't see practice and public ice skating enough to save the old arena. They can dedicate some walls in the Giant Center to remember the history of the Arena but everything else has pretty much been moved out of the arena I believe. The museum is now in downtown Hershey and I remember hearing that the operations offices were also moved towards downtown in the building they just renovated with Houlihans.

It'd probably be more cost effective to tear it down and build a smaller building for whatever they still need space for and expand the park a little.

I think that HE&R knows they need to expand the park in the not too distant future, and I'm sure many different options have been drawn up. It probably should have been done years ago, but they were afraid to pull the trigger due to the cost. Had they done it back then, we wouldn't be stuck with the Boardwalk where it is.

The park can't expand toward the old golf cousrse. Imagine walking from there to Lightning Racer. Hersheypark is already very "skinny". Any expansion should be to "widen" it. I think ideally, the easiest way to expand would be to demolish Hersheypark Arena, move the employee parking, and eventually demolish Hersheypark Stadium. Not that I'm a proponent of removing these older buildings, but logistically, it makes the most sense.

There has been talk for some time about a new entance to the park going in that general area, and it would make sense, considering it is right smack in the middle of the park. However, that would most likely mean the end of Tudor Square, Carrousel Circle and Rhineland - the most charming areas of Hersheypark. Can you imagine the Carrousel in a different part of the park? They'd have to move it to the new entrance, right?

The new entrance would be better equipped to handle the large crowds Hershey attracts. Guests would no longer have to chug up and down the hills at the park's current entrance. It would allow for waterpark goers to head directly to the left. Fahrenheit would now be at the front of the park.

Look at the major logistical changes that have taken place along these lines over the years:

- Giant Center is built, parking lots are greatly expanded.

- Golf course closes down.

- Museum moves to downtown Hershey.

- Waterpark takes over Midway America.

Add them all together, and you can kinda' see where they're headed.

I was inside the Arena not too long ago, maybe a little over a year. The place (pehaps purposefully?) is really falling into disrepair. The ceiling is falling apart and leaking, and it looked like it had been that way for a while. It's used for storage by the park. Two, maybe three people were ice skating. There is so much character in that place, but it's just a hollow shell of it's former self. I thought there was some sort of government protection or landmark status. But if it continues to fall into disrepair and is deemed unsafe, it will go away. I think HE&R wants it to go away. Most of the executives are outsiders anyway. They probably don't care about the building as much as the locals do. I'm sure it's on the chopping block, and it will probably be sooner than later. It will be sad to see it go. But let's face it, it's already been replaced by the Giant Center.

If Hersheypark Stadium eventually comes down (probably for additional parking), I can totally see a new stadium/outside concert venue being built in the old golf course area, near Giant Center. Then you would have the park on one side of the complex and the sports/music on the other.

As far as inside the park goes, now that Boardwalk is there, they need to continue to expand it. If there was a realistic way to move Lightning Racer, I'm sure they would do it, and I would be all for it. Look for Wild Mouse to move for sure in the next few years. With growing attendance from the waterpark and from Attraction 2012, I'm sure the hope is to generate enough revenue to bring the new entrance plans to fruition, within the next 5 years.

I didn't realize the Arena was in that bad of shape, but then again if it is unused, I guess it would make sense. When I went to job shadow there, I was told that a few days before, they had to deal with a pipe breaking in the Arena. If it's one thing that I learned, it's that sometimes historic buildings or attractions don't last forever. The Arena pretty much has no greater importance than any other sports arena built. I mean, yeah Milton Hershey built it, but still, how many other things in town did he build that have already been demolished? I'm pretty sure he'd probably build a bigger stadium by now if he could.

While I don't think moving the entrance would make sense, widening the park where the Arena is kind of does. The park's Service Center is in the way of moving the entrance to near Fahrenheit. If you take notice of the area at the entrance, there is only one way to get to the exit, which is going into Music Box Way and down through Founder's Circle. I do have to wonder though if they created a path that runs along the creek, by-passing Founder's Circle, if it would help the crowdflow?