TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

With the economy these days I guess the prices are understandable. Still sucks though I've seen Hershey's lockers go for $10 a day...a day!!! I've gotten it cheaper at Busch Gardens! (I rarely use park lockers so somebody correct me if that's the going rate these days).

Hershey is slowly becoming too commercialized, IMO. It just doesn't feel like a traditional park anymore. I know they have to keep up with the times and all, I completely understand that, but still...I dunno. Maybe it's me.

With the economy these days I guess the prices are understandable. Still sucks though I've seen Hershey's lockers go for $10 a day...a day!!! I've gotten it cheaper at Busch Gardens! (I rarely use park lockers so somebody correct me if that's the going rate these days).

Hershey is slowly becoming too commercialized, IMO. It just doesn't feel like a traditional park anymore. I know they have to keep up with the times and all, I completely understand that, but still...I dunno. Maybe it's me.

That's true that it's not as traditional as it used to be. Some of the prices are incredible. I was standing in line for the Comet a week ago and the vending machine online sells Gatorade and bottled water for $3.50! When we were leaving, my dad and me just stopped at the water fountain at the parking lot restrooms instead of buying something.

As far as traditional, I don't think the park was ever traditional since the 1960s.

I think the closest I have been to traditional was at Kennywood. The park was very clean, the rides well-maintained, the staff friendly, and real knowledgeable, and the food was not only great, but FAIRLY priced. I wish I lived closer to Kennywood. Oh well, Indiana Beach and SFGAm are what I've got!

I agree with what you all are saying about the steep pricing. But when you think about it, adding phase one of a waterpark, a new major roller coaster (and flat ride), and then expand the waterpark again....all in three years straight, I can see why the prices were raised. But ten dollars for parking is a little too far (especially the twenty-five at the Six Flags parks, but that is also due to the tremendous debt they are in).

Sounds great about the free parking. I plan on buying my ticket at Giant since my friend and I will be there on June 7th (the 14th if it rains) so that will save us some bucks. The Harley Davidson thing on April 11th saved me six dollars since the company provided free parking passes to the people attending the event (got it along with the tickets from my uncle who works there). But I would rather pay six dollars any day over ten dollars just to park my car. I am happy they are considering some good deals but it's sad that it also has to take a weakened economy to do so.

Granted that looks great and it probably will be but I'm pretty PO'd CRR is gone. It was really one of the best rapids rides; to put a wave pool in its place is an insult to CRR, IMO. I hate the location of that whole water-area too...it's smack in the middle of everything. They should have just put another entrance there.

I've been having some issues with Hersheypark within the past few years

I'm glad I'm not the only one....but of course I will still go to the park. Nothing beats smelling those pit roast beef sandwiches...YUM

Granted that looks great and it probably will be but I'm pretty PO'd CRR is gone. It was really one of the best rapids rides; to put a wave pool in its place is an insult to CRR, IMO. I hate the location of that whole water-area too...it's smack in the middle of everything. They should have just put another entrance there.

I've been having some issues with Hersheypark within the past few years

I'm glad I'm not the only one....but of course I will still go to the park. Nothing beats smelling those pit roast beef sandwiches...YUM

I hear you about those sandwiches!

I am guessing you are referring to that place down by Trailblazer that sells those pit beef sandwiches?

Of course....best sandwiches ever. Coming down that hill towards them is always the best part of Hershey to me....the second best part would be riding CRR

Wow! That came out nice. All that needs to be added is scenery and the area is good to go. The area is completely different from what you see on the concept sketch, so don't expect everything to be there.

My friend and I usually eat between Minetown Restaurant and the Subway by Sidewinder and Storm Runner. Minetown offers good pizza and salad that I always go for and I also crave for a tuna or meatball sub from Subway. I always hear people crave for that Freeman's place that we keep discussing about, I know the smell down there is tempting.

Nice pic! I'll check out the rest in a few minutes. They are really making process and I can't wait to see the whole SEA-qual up and running come June 7th! I'll be sure to take lots of pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, opening day is in two or three weeks, the Shore, and Intercoastal Waterway are filled and are currently being tested. So what is left for them to do? Finish up the concrete and add scenery.

Two guys from the park are responsible for the finishing touches and are traveling down to Florida to pick out Boardwalk-type scenery. Here's a link to their blog which includes pictures:

http://hersheyparkhitstheroad.wordpress.com/

Some of the scenery items on their "shopping list" are bouys, dock, crab fishing pots, boats, signs, fake seagulls, and more.

boardwalkwebcam.jpg.623f9612018deb0e32436fb0f4091c2d.jpg

Webcam as of 3PM 5/7/09

This is a good addition for Hersheypark. When we were there in July, the Boardwalk was a madhouse. There were so many people that ever single lock_er was full and we had to take turns riding Roller Soaker, so that our cameras wouldn't get wet. The surf ride looked pretty cool, but I didn't bring a suit with. If you're going to Hersheypark this summer I'd definitely recommend going to the boardwalk for a few hours.

Edited by sixflagsguy5

Almost completed and from the webcam image below, it seems like lifeguard training in starting to happen. I wonder how high the waves will be in the Shore? It'd be awesome if they could crank them up to do surfing on like at Typhoon Lagoon, but I doubt it.

It looks like they are adding another building right next to the bridge and looking at the concept art, it shows a lighthouse-like building. I thought that they decided to not build it? Oh well.

boardwalkwebcam.jpg.0ddb57e0a34c9c7b934a9b1d131b182e.jpg

5/11/09

Looks like they are letting people into the Seaqual area, with the exception of allowing them into the two attractions. This probably has something to do with the park having something for its employees and promotional shoots, maybe...

Looks like they are putting the finishing touches to the area. The "Shoreline Grill" sign appears to be on the building and they are also setting up the lounge chairs around The Shore. This really has me excited as June 7th gets closer!

EDIT:

The park just uploaded its 2009 park map to the site, and it features the SEAqual on it. Here's the link:

http://www.hersheypark.com/map/images/09_parkMap.jpg