TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Hey, at least Hershey has more flats than either of the two parks near me. Kings Dominion and BGE. I like the fact that they still have a Flying Falcon/Condor thing too. I hope they don't take that out for a drop tower, which can be found most anywhere.

I think most people (including myself) wonder why all of the flats have been removed. Most of Hershey's flats are kiddie low thrill rides now. I can't consider Howler too intense, and Flying Falcon is fun but you get bored after the first run. Chaos and that Western themed thing that went up and down were much more intense and fun flats, and they are gone.

Well, Chaos was understandable. Those things are maintenance nightmares and most parks got rid of em, even though they are one of my favorite flats.

I think Hersheypark's issue is space. Since they put a waterpark section in, and it's overtaking basically the whole left side of the park bit by bit, the flats take a hit. The park is basically totally filled up, and something has to go, and flats are usually the ones to go, not the coasters. I really wish they'd remove boardwalk and put it somewhere else, because they are ruining all chances of keeping the old and getting more new this way.

Drop Towers? Aquatrax? Sorry, HP fanboys, but having seen the "2009" signs in person, I really doubt it's going to be anything more than a few new slides and maybe a wave pool, as much as you (and me) may wish otherwise.

I really do hope I'm wrong, though. A drop tower at HP would be awesome!

Well, Chaos was understandable. Those things are maintenance nightmares and most parks got rid of em, even though they are one of my favorite flats.

I think Hersheypark's issue is space. Since they put a waterpark section in, and it's overtaking basically the whole left side of the park bit by bit, the flats take a hit. The park is basically totally filled up, and something has to go, and flats are usually the ones to go, not the coasters. I really wish they'd remove boardwalk and put it somewhere else, because they are ruining all chances of keeping the old and getting more new this way.

Actually they still do have a lot of space to work with and a few possibilities.

-Build in the employee lot on the other side of Wildcat. They'd only would need to remove a catering area. By doing this would give them unlimited land to use since the parking lot is HUGE.

-Create a tunnel going under Park Avenue and build over in the old golf course. This is also a huge chunk of land which could support a new area.

Even though what they may plan to add next year seems small, I can really imagine the park getting really creative with this just because this will be part of the Boardwalk.

I can tell you that they are not removing that employee cafe anytime soon. I was just in there a few weeks ago and it looks too new to be removed already, besides, where would they put that? They also use that parking lot for some circuses I believe. I was hoping that they would start working over in the golf course, too. It would provide so much more. And has anything been said about what will happen to the Hershey Arena?

^ I'm talking about the one behind Wildcat. That one was there for awhile.

I don't thinking anything is happening to the arena. I heard they still use it a practice, public skating, conventions and other stuff.

Cool Down in 09? Cool Down = Relax. Relax = Lazy River.

I doubt much more then that will be done next year, CRR being changed into a lame lazy river. Im not even sure a wavepool will happen next year.

Could Hershey use the area around the highest part of Tidal Forces lift hill in the wavepool? Like have the supports of Tidal Force just be built into the pool and people would just have to get over them being there? They may provide a nice place for people to "hang onto" as well. I doubt it but im just throwing the idea around.

The HP Arena is still used regularly these days, and I doubt that will go. I think the next place the park will expand is out into the employee lot behind Wildcat, but that will require a lot of work to get that going.

And I believe I heard that the Golf Course had problems that would take a long time to fix before Hershey could use the land as well.

Hersheypark Arena isn't going anywhere. It's still being used as the Bears' practice rink, as well as sporting events for local schools, as well when HERCO opens it for public ice skating. Also, it has a special moment in history when Wilt Chamberlain scored so many points in there. Plus I think HP has some of their offices in there too.

Now remember that the Hershey Museum is closing for good on September 2nd, in preperation to move all the exhibits to the new Hershey Story museum slated to open in December. What does this mean for the park? They could possibly use this facility for something. It's indoor, so somekind of indoor attraction maybe.

I went into HPCrazy's drawings of Hershey and decided to show my ideas of a future, mainly because it's halftime of the MLS Game

I think the Golf Course could be used for Employee Parking and mabye some maitnence buildings, then build a transportation tunnel under the buildings and such, it isn't to far from Lightning Racer.

It's just an idea, and also I would like to see ZooAmerica be moved to another part of town or something like that, and offer a shuttle service from the park to there.

Hershey just doesn't have the land like some parks do.

I went into HPCrazy's drawings of Hershey and decided to show my ideas of a future, mainly because it's halftime of the MLS Game

I think the Golf Course could be used for Employee Parking and mabye some maitnence buildings, then build a transportation tunnel under the buildings and such, it isn't to far from Lightning Racer.

It's just an idea, and also I would like to see ZooAmerica be moved to another part of town or something like that, and offer a shuttle service from the park to there.

Hershey just doesn't have the land like some parks do.

2083903997_hersheyfuturecopy.jpg.44b1ba37ea145b81db7075aa60f19944.jpg

To clear some things up.

ZooAmerica will not be removed since it has been around since the late 1970's and is still popular.

The parking lot between the stadium and arena is sill being used as a bus parking area. Don't expect anything to happen here.

Cool! Loved how you took my drawing and spiced it up a bit - lol!

Anyways, I have been envisioning the current employee lot beside Wildcat (you have it marked on my drawing) as one of the best ways they could expand. That's another possibility for a new section right there. Then, they could move the employee lot across the street and tram employees over there. Having the employee lot across the street would work with the four-way intersection of HP Drive, re-routed Hotel Road, and HP's parking lot exit. Would be the best alternative.

I don't think expansion between the stadium and arena would work because the old arena is still be used (see my last post in this topic), and the stadium still does the summer concert series and sports all year round. The entrances to both venues are also right there, as well as HP's disabled guest and bus parking lots. I'm sure once the Museum closes, that is a facility that could be utilized somehow. Maybe move whatever went into the former HERCO headquarters in there, make the former HERCO headquarters part of the park if they would decide to take the boundery over there, besides possibly re-routing Park Blvd / Chocolate World's entrance to go around it.

NEW FOR 2009! The Boardwalk: The SEAquel!

http://www.hersheypark.com/boardwalk/seaquel/index.php

ATTRACTION INFO:

*Total Square Footage: Approximately 5 acres or 217,800 square feet

*Overall Capacity of new phase: Approximately 4,000 guests at a time

*Additional New Features: 27 private cabanas (exclusively for Hershey Resorts guests), lounging space for guests, Restaurant, 2 Food Kiosks, 2 retail outlets, changing area with full showers and restrooms, 1,000 lockers.

*Estimated Cost: $16.1 million

As much as the Boardwalk needs more slides, a wave pool, and lazy river, I still can't help but wonder why the heck Hershey just didn't build the Boardwalk as a separate gate instead. How much more expansion room can they possibly have for it in its current location. I'd hate to see any of the coasters or Midway America rides going bye bye because the Hershey bigwigs couldn't figure out that a waterpark in Central PA would be a good idea.

New for 2009 a real? Wave pool, with the depth of 4 feet, thats almost bigger then my leg!

If you haven't heard about the expansion to the boardwalk

www.hersheypark.com/boardwalk/seaquel/index.php

Other then that I got to say I took these pictures about 2 weeks ago and I was wondering what about this, you forgot about this...

This is at Coastline Plunge (if you didn't know that).

Im going to try to go get some more pictures (I didn't get it all).

Theres nothing new there could there be phases or something like every 2 years something new. Could this be like a 3rd or something?

1687000374_resize12.jpg.b4f48a9d1f670c50adccf2ddb7589444.jpg

Would you look at that, its portable, by the way them ropes were not connected in any way, like the one in the cement to the one with the black thinger.

1007718841_resize11.jpg.56e2eb2d4d88ff859fb13d9057ed444c.jpg

Theres a cover, a wooden cover, I don't think its a plank.

2108924961_resize8.jpg.b0193ce3028148f92ca7162913e7d09a.jpg

From the exit of the pool, wait what huh look were im standing...

2076109661_resize3.jpg.c60cd1c69b7b1d9f0547dd310d70bc75.jpg

Bigger picture of the footers.

1914104558_resize2.jpg.fec9e90061a1b5897cad9accd5b6a8a7.jpg

Theres more footers! (Notice the support see them little support holder thingers I get to that later.)

49785325_resize1.jpg.5fb7b288876de55003b37a4d49dba7cf.jpg

I smell footers, ha get it!

I really hate their lack of planning when it comes to this waterpark. My guess is that the only way to fix this problem they are gonna have with removing stuff is by making Midway America a part of Boardwalk. Since both coasters are wooden coasters, they would do good in a boardwalk setting, as would Wild Mouse and Musik Express and the Fun Slides. It'd be more like an old fashioned boardwalk than a modern one. Ever seen some of the old Our Gang shorts? Some take place on boardwalks with some pretty big wooden coasters.

It's just such a shame that waterparks trump amusement parks these days. In my mind no water park should ever be built on theme park property. It causes problems like people walking around in swim clothes throughout the rest of the park and less flat ride building to focus on more water activities. Water rides like Canyon River Rapids do just fine.

Yes yes yes, and them people walking around you got to tell you need a shirt to ride this ride. Midway is in a good area for a boardwalk but boardwalk is growing and growing its like godzilla. Hershey could make a little more money if there was a amusement park and water park with separate prices but still where the boardwalk is raises the question. Where should stick this? hmmm take out a nice ride like rapids. It almost makes me want to cry ha.

So lets tinker with are thinkers. Haha, so what do you think there going to do with the old wave pool? Lightning Racer is right there and they might half to do some stuff to get slides threw there. The good thing is that its in the middle of the turn around that goes into the tunnel and the turn around that goes to the should I call flag. They might be able to make a water coaster back there you never know hershey sticks 5 foot wide things in places that are 4 foot and make us wonder how they did it. Well that the best I could say it.

With the indoor water park that might go in at the Hotel Hershey, you think since this is Hershey Entertainment they could be trying it at the park first and seeing how it is at the park before they go to the hotel? I just was thinking maybe they might be, but then again I thought I hear more about that with the "amazing amount of people to go to the boardwalk."