TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Yes, Proslide Tornados are pretty fun, I just went on one today at SFNE. Hopefully they'll allow the single tubes, I think they make the ride better than the cloverleafs.

Speaking of which, that 4 bowl slide complex looks awesome, I'm glad they seem to be getting good water rides.

Well... It's uglier than I expected it would be. I guess I'm just a Hershey traditionalist.. but plopping tons of steel supports and concrete in the middle of Midway America seems more like a Cedar Fair thing to do rather than a Hersheypark thing. Hershey has always been more traditional, trying to keep the green and trees.. while the other parks just clear cut and throw down concrete.

HERCO has lots of land now, especially with the Fairview Golf Course land, to go all out and build a real waterpark rather than a quasi waterpark.

One word... WEAK... not that we didnt see it coming.

Eric

Well... It's uglier than I expected it would be. I guess I'm just a Hershey traditionalist.. but plopping tons of steel supports and concrete in the middle of Midway America seems more like a Cedar Fair thing to do rather than a Hersheypark thing. Hershey has always been more traditional, trying to keep the green and trees.. while the other parks just clear cut and throw down concrete.

HERCO has lots of land now, especially with the Fairview Golf Course land, to go all out and build a real waterpark rather than a quasi waterpark.

One word... WEAK... not that we didnt see it coming.

Eric

First off, Hershey wanted to build a water park across Hersheypark Drive but from what I've heard it was turned down the Town Council. In terms of greenery and trees, there aren't many trees in Midway America. I amazed how much stuff they are putting in a 5 acre area. On second thought I not because Hershey is famous for stuff attractions in to areas that most park would balk at.

• 3 months later...

BUMP!

The park now has a webcam for the progress! Heres a pic from the webcam. They have the tornado and toiletbowl side up! They're making extremely great timing!

Pic at 11/03/06 at 5:00PM EST.

868125979_rain_fortress(800x600).jpg.4da058bc413f22b93edda65ea9626b4c.jpg

Boardwalk Progress. (I can hardly wait!)

Next year, my school is going on a trip to Hershey Park, but if the water park is open when we go I want to skip it and just go to the park.Sometime in June this year, we went to Dorney Park, and we spent half of our time at the water park.Then we decided to leave and go on some coasters, but it started to rain and I didn`t get to go on one coaster for the entire trip!

To me that's the only down-side to waterparks. If your only there for one day you must plan ahead because if you loose track what time it is you won't have a lot of time to see the rest of the park and ride the other rides.

What I'm wondering about is the addmission prices. For a general addmission ticket this year it was around $40.00. With the waterpark next year I'm expecting a $45.00 addmission next year that is if they don't charge a seprate addmission for the Boardwalk.

• 2 months later...

The opening date for the Boardwalk has been announced! May 4th is the park opening day and the boardwalk opens on May 26th! Only approx. 4 months untill it opens!

The webcam also shows that they are currently working on the catch pool for Coastline Plunge.

1864828461_rain_fortress(800x600).jpg.329ad896a054be76b80485b4bc035811.jpg

Webcam pic from hersheypark.com

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked the website and they have now added the slides to the rides list and it includes details on who manufactured them. Here's a link. http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersheypark/rides/results.asp?rh=99&pa=10&rt=99&rr=99&Submit.x=46&Submit.y=24

I can't wait to see this and plus they're going to have fireworks in the park each night like disney and a bunch of other stuff as well!

• 4 weeks later...

From the view of the webcam, it looks like Coastline Plunge is completed execpt for the pool and sidewalks at the bottom of the screen. Lamps have been put up and East Coast Waterworks looks finished.

After reviewing a video on coaster-net. I saw a view of the layout of the new area. It looks like there's going to be a midway going from the area between the loading area of canyon river rapids and tidal force all the way to the little circle plaza over by roller soaker. The midway looks like it will be filled with boardwalk style buildings and games. Just think, only 60 more days until we can experience it!

1862839856_DSCF0094(800x600).jpg.46dce348c8634d14359302ec0a070fa9.jpg

The Plans. The newest themed area in 11 years! Video by Devin Olson

411042588_rain_fortress(600x450).jpg.569c8498d3c6a6ff21dbf69564983158.jpg

Almost done! Photo from hersheypark.com

• 1 month later...

A lot has happened with the Boardwalk in a month. The pools now have water in them, almost all the scenery datails are finished, the park has opened with some cool scenery for the park's 100 season and the park has finally updated the Boardwalk page on the website! Now it's going to have podcasts with more details on some of the new attractions and details in the area!

Here's a link to the section, it looks a lot better than the last one!

http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersheypark/boardwalk/index.php

• 3 weeks later...

The day nearly 5 years in the making has finally come! The Boardwalk at Hersheypark is officially open!

Here's all the details, rumors, and everything else that led up to the construction of this great new area!

Going back to 2002, a local newspaper made an article about a waterpark being built for the following season. The possible location for it was the old airfield across from the park or even the old Hersheypark arena. The last possible location was where the Boardwalk is today. And so thus the rumors of Cocoa Bay have started.

There was also a couple of other rumors of a possible B&M coaster, 4th Dimension, hyper, giga, mega and even an 8,000 ft coaster, but those were turned down after time.

The rumors of Cocoa talked about having chocolate-colored water, but it was impossible because then people would drink the chlorine-filled water and get sick.

As time went by, in 2005 the park went to Derry Township to get approval for water attractions for the park. Once the township gave the go ahead, the Chaos ride was removed, the Frog Hopper kiddie ride was moved over to Minetown and the Dinosaur-Go-Round was moved to Founder's Circle.

During the winter of 2005-2006, pieces of colored steel and slide pieces have been showing up at the park. On a picture below, you can see supports for the Eastcoast Waterworks attraction taken in March 2006. When opening day came around for the 2006 season, the midway leading from Decades to Lightning Racer was removed and replaced with a newer one that went through a construction zone with a wooden fence surrounding it. Inside was a strange foundation that you can only find on a water play structure, also a changing room.

Nearly 2 months later, Hersheypark released plans for the Boardwalk at Hersheypark. Thy said that the area will feature the world's largest water play structure, 4 new waterslides, a sandcastle themed kiddie area, a wave pool, and a boggie boarding ride.Along with the water rides, 9 new food buildings, 6 games, and 7 souvenir shops have been planned.

Leading up to today, many photos, Trip Reports and details have been heard and it all led up to today.

Since all the rumors for the 2007 season are all over, we now turn our attention to what could happen in the 2008 season. Could the Wild Mouse be moved or removed from the park to expand the area? Could Western Chute Out be taken out? Or could a new flat ride be built or how about a new coaster? Over the next couple of months, this is what we could be taking about.

Stay tuned for possible links to newscasts of the opening throughout the day!

604163733_LightningRacer5andunknownobject(600x450).jpg.83a507d736f0ae72a1ba8193e5459e66.jpg

The support of Eastcoast Waterworks in March 2006.

55067960_NewRidefor07(600x450).jpg.58b1a92699877445ea55dd232997ed71.jpg

The support of East Coast Waterworks in March 2006.

• 10 months later...

(Dead Picture Link Deleted)

Looks like the Boardwalk will be expanding in 2009. Could Canyon River Rapids get the chopping block? Could the park be expanding out into the employee lot? To me the park could be getting either, a splash battle, lazy river, wave pool, or more slides.

To the mods: If this violates the rules, you can lock it or delete it if you want to.

Edited by larrygator

I really hope they don't get rid of the Canyon River Rapids. They should have known they wouldn't have had enough room for a waterpark in that small area and built it away from the rides area, now they are trying to fit too much in and we are going to be losing rides.

Didn't they hype the new coaster as something to do with heat or being hotter, the whole temperature thing? Maybe they are just playing off this again, but I kinda gotta go with the water idea. I don't see them dumping the rapids though, that always seemed like a high volume attraction.

God this is bugging me like there is no tomorrow. These parks are chopping their awesome rides and building stupid water slides (not to say that I do not like water parks, but still).

Agreed, I like water parks but I don't like them crowded in the middle of a park. They should have made it seperate like WWK at Dorney, away from the rides or made it a seperate gate like at Great Adventure.

I hated the Boardwalk especially East Coast Waterworks (too crowded, pushing and shoving, badly organized), and worse of all it didn't have the "Dorney effect" of walk ons for coasters while the water park is crowded.