TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, boldikus said:

So word on the street is that there is a giant wooden fence all around SideWinder, and also that the park has started to repaint SDL a nice bright shade of white.

SDL loop is entirely white now, I've been watching it progress for a few weeks now. They were first pressure washing the paint off then started painting it white.

They've also started painting Sidewinder and a few of the slides. Seems like they did a pretty large contract with a local company that's redoing a fair amount of the rides/slides. The company posted up about doing the refurbishment work on a few local pages around here. It's a neat process and it appears we're going to see some fresh coats and color changes for next year.

Cocoa Cruiser was also painted the inverse of Candimonium colors instead of the Skyrush colors, fits in a lot nicer with the theme and park.

I forgot to mention this since my last post; my wife, who notoriously is NOT a huge fan of coasters, decided to try her first hyper when we went back in September. (No, not Skyrush. That particular hyper ended my father's coaster-riding career and she's well aware of that.) She ended up trying Candymonium towards the end of the night, and... um... well... let's just say she survived, but she's in no hurry to get back on it, or any similarly tall coaster, ever again. She wasn't a fan of the floater airtime, the minimal restraints, her legs dangling free, and quite obviously the height.

She enjoyed the wooden coasters (but we weren't sadists enough to recommend she get on Wildcat), Laff Trakk, Trailblazer, and to a lesser extent SooperDooperLooper. She also recently rode Invadr and Verbolten at BGW and enjoyed both of them. With those ones under her belt, does anyone have any other suggestions for coasters across the Northeast she might potentially enjoy, preferably ones without a huge height or multiple inversions?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coneyislandchris said:

She enjoyed the wooden coasters (but we weren't sadists enough to recommend she get on Wildcat), Laff Trakk, Trailblazer, and to a lesser extent SooperDooperLooper. She also recently rode Invadr and Verbolten at BGW and enjoyed both of them. With those ones under her belt, does anyone have any other suggestions for coasters across the Northeast she might potentially enjoy, preferably ones without a huge height or multiple inversions?

Obviously, everything at Knoebels except for Impulse. Thunderhawk at Dorney. Sky Princess or whatever they're calling the woodie at Dutch Wonderland these days, probably their Vekoma family invert too. Great White, Rollie's, and Runaway Tram at Morey's. Wild One at SF America. Runaway Train at SGAdv. That's about all that pop into mind off the top of my head

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coneyislandchris said:

I forgot to mention this since my last post; my wife, who notoriously is NOT a huge fan of coasters, decided to try her first hyper when we went back in September. (No, not Skyrush. That particular hyper ended my father's coaster-riding career and she's well aware of that.) She ended up trying Candymonium towards the end of the night, and... um... well... let's just say she survived, but she's in no hurry to get back on it, or any similarly tall coaster, ever again. She wasn't a fan of the floater airtime, the minimal restraints, her legs dangling free, and quite obviously the height.

Not quite Northeast but Mystic Timbers could fit the bill  

Prices are as low as they get now and usually go up after Halloween. A Full Size pass is $164.25, King Size is $209.25. There is also Bite Size for $139.50 but I don't recommend that one as it doesn't have free parking or other perks. I like the King Size pass because I thought the extra $45 was worth it for the drink cup and hot drinks for Candylane plus the 2 bring a friend free tickets.

I just came back from Hersheypark. It was my first time there since 2006 (fifteen years!). We got there around 3:00 and left at closing (9:00). Candymonium was closed (at first) so we went to the closest open roller coaster, which was Great Bear. It's still a good ride after all these years. We got to see them transfer another car onto the track from storage, so that was fun (and it sped up the line). Then we headed towards Fahrenheit, but noticed Storm Runner was testing, By the time we got there, they already had opened and had several cycles. We get on the train and are sitting, ready to leave the station, but were told the ride would not be able to run due to rain issues. It did not run the rest of the day.

So we then went on Fahrenheit (it was my first time). That was a blast. The line wasn't fun though, as that was the heaviest it rained today. But the ride was worth it, despite our faces being pelted. Next we headed towards Laff Track, but the wait was too long for us (it makes sense for that line to be long with it raining and all), so we instead went to Lightning Racer. It was practically a walk-on. We first did Lightning (and lost to Thunder), then did Thunder (and won). It's an incredible ride(s) still after all these years. Wildcat, not so much. Everybody in my group said their heads were rattled afterwards and commented on how much better Lightning Racer seemed to run.

At that point, we headed back towards Candymonium, as the app said it was a five minute wait. Lies! While we were on line, it then finally updated to what it really was: A Ninety minute wait. While it wasn't that long for us, it was still our longest line of the day. Lots of people in line were playing the mobile game Heads Up. It would've been nice to have a covered line like that while waiting for Fahrenheit. We sat in the back two rows. What a fun, smooth ride. It had fantastic air time! As a plus, the ride was one of the "lights out" rides for Hersheypark in the Dark (Wildcat and Lightning Racer where also ones, but it wasn't fully dark yet when we rode them; Laff Trak was also one, as was Comet, but it never opened today). With all of that, and the crisp, Fall air, Candymonium was a great experience.

While we were waiting to return to the station, we could see Skyrush running. Finally! It only took until an hour-and-a-half before closing to get it up and running! My brother got some Starbucks and we headed over for what the app said was a forty-five minute wait. Lies (again)! But, good lies this time. The line was just five minutes! This was my first time on Skyrush. I have to say, I was unfortunately disappointed somewhat. It was incredibly intense for sure, but we all agreed we enjoyed the experience on Candymonium more overall.

Having been able to ride Fahrenheit, Candymonium, and Skyrush all for the first time today, makes Laff Track the only roller coaster I've yet to ride at Hersheypark. I can't remember if I've ever been on Sidewinder, but I've been on other Vekoma Boomerangs. I had a great time. I just hope it doesn't take me another fifteen years to go back!

• 1 month later...

Drove out to Hershey on Friday to attend the holiday lights event. Having been a handful of times before, not much different in the lights and such (if not less coverage than in years past in certain areas), but the main reason we came out is to ride Candymonium and see the new entrance, which was beautiful.  (On a side note, crazy to think this event used to be like $20-25 to attend if I recall, and now it is basically double in price with no real additional attractions/areas open beyond what it was many years ago. Really happy Candymonium is on the ride roster list, but would be awesome if they could add one or two additional 'big' attractions for the full-ticket pricing... Skyrush, Great Bear?

Thankfully, it was completely dead... Candymonium was walk-on or a single train wait front seat dead all night (two trains running). The ride was hauling and still catching on the two trims, it surly was not feeling the cool weather at all in terms of pacing/speed. Couldn't ask for a better time to go try this thing out! Grabbed a few front and back seat rides during the night, along with the other stuff going on at the park.

Great airtime on all the hills in typical B&M fashion. Smooth as can be, no rattle to be found anywhere on this thing.

Because they are most similar, between Mako and Candymonium, it's a tough call. I think Mako has a stronger first half with some stronger elements outside of the typical hammerhead/airtime hills up to the MCBR. I really dig that first turn as well as the twist dive and small airtime pop sequence on Mako. Just some additional uniqueness to the B&M typical formula. From around the MCBR on (or low speed hill in the case of Candymonium), I really liked the helix/twist dive of Candymonium and the helix finale much more than how Mako finishes out. Both great rides, but I think the edge might go to Mako between these two. 

Such a fantastic addition to Hershey though. The way they integrated it with the beautiful new main entrance is just stunning!

20211210_165021.jpg

20211210_173504.jpg

20211210_174847.jpg

20211210_182707.jpg

20211210_185526.jpg

20211210_190316.jpg

20211210_192229.jpg

20211210_193136.jpg

20211210_194403.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 12:47 PM, SharkTums said:

^I assume we'll see Lightning Racer go away at some point as that rarely gets a line and is in prime water park expansion area!

I wonder if they can do what Holiday Park did with legend and have more slides weave in and out of lightning racer?  Has the park said anything about body/drop box slides?  I see that is one of the only types they do not have.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, so who's been to HP a lot? It's an 8 hour drive for us so I want to go when it's not going to be nuts because who knows when I'll be able to go back. How is easter weekend? Is it pretty crazy Fri/Sat and then quiet Sunday morning, but then crazy in the afternoon?

What about Labor Day weekend, is the weekend super jammed, but monday pretty quiet? Or what about other weekends in September? 

Can't go on weekdays, and summer seems like it's packed all the time, don't care about waterpark.. 

If you're limited to weekends, Sunday will be your best option, outside of basically every weekend you've mentioned.  Holiday weekends, even Easter, always draw crowds to parks.

I'm glad you don't care about the water park, because it is always beyond packed.  I'm talking two hour wait for the lazy river and an hour wait for the wave pool (yeah, their wave pool has a queue line).

I'd go on a non-Holiday Sunday and budget for the skip-the-line if you need it.

I also gotta ask, where are you in NJ that Hershey Park is an 8 hour drive?

Today Hersheypark announced a re-imagined experience for Sidewinder along with the addition of the new Mix'd Flavored By Jolly Rancher ride. Both attractions will debut this summer. 

JollyRancher.thumb.jpg.5c792687e4ab03edbf1c7dcab389fefb.jpg

https://stories.hersheypa.com/hersheypark-announces-two-new-jolly-rancher-attraction-experiences-for-summer-2022/

Hersheypark amusement park today announced the Hersheypark skyline is getting brighter this summer with two new Jolly Rancher attraction experiences that guests can only find at Hersheypark. Guests can take a flavor ride on Jolly Rancher Remix coaster, a first-of-its-kind reimagined coaster for the senses, and enjoy spinning 360 degrees on Mix'd Flavored By Jolly Rancher all-new family ride located next to Jolly Rancher Remix. Both experiences will be open during all four seasons following their summer debut. 

jollyrancherremix-render.thumb.jpg.a7d22ed7691239546c23d4f07abd3c61.jpg

NEW JOLLY RANCHER  ATTRACTION EXPERIENCES

One of 15 coasters at Hersheypark, Jolly Rancher Remix reimagined boomerang roller coaster takes guests on a flavor ride by sending them and their senses forward and back on the same flavorful track. Riders of Hershey’s height category (48”) and above will blast through the flavor tunnel, invert six times in 90 seconds and jam to sweet tunes. Each ride is different with five randomized flavor rides like Watermelon or Green Apple, complete with different music, lights and scents for an only-in-Hershey sensory experience.

mix039dflavoredbyjollyrancher-render.thumb.jpg.5b8e87884a749b1cc27e9fa83c016593.jpg

Mix'd Flavored By Jolly Rancher all-new family ride is located just steps away from Jolly Rancher Remix in the heart of Hersheypark near Storm Runner coaster. Riders of Reese’s height category (42”) and above sit in one of the four arms and spin 360 degrees. The ride then shifts into gear and mixes in lifts, drops and never-before-seen views while dodging the other riders.

• Like 2

This is pretty cool. For a park that generally does large additions fairly often and just opened a giant B&M hyper less than two years ago with a huge expen$ive front entrance renovation (that yes took away all the charm the old entrance had, but that's not my point) I'm not sure why anyone would have been expecting anything earth shattering at Hershey for 2022.

The old paint job made Sidewinder one of the ugliest coasters in the park, so all this color will certainly liven up that pocket of the park and at least this boomerang already has the better trains w/ the vests, so this is an all around sweet upgrade imo.

Fingers still and forever crossed the next big coaster they are getting is RMC Wildcat.

• Like 5

I love everything about this, call me crazy but don't mind a Boomerang especially with those new trains/restraint. Throw some nice color on it and add in a tunnel and it should look great.

And I love the placement of the flat ride right under the Cobra Roll. I don't know how much fun those new Zamperla Time Warp (or whatever they're called) are but they're cool as hell to watch, so this should be a nice looking area when it's all done. 

while not 100% sure on the different "scents" in the tunnel. . . . unless load/unload takes long enough it really dissipates?  I can see it muddling into just one "smell" in there.

but I love the idea, love the new paint, LOVE that it will have onboard soundtrack that's different for each "flavor"

and putting a Nebulaz right there between the signature flips in a Boomerang?    very inspired.

really like this.

On 2/20/2022 at 2:36 AM, Mike240SX said:

If you're limited to weekends, Sunday will be your best option, outside of basically every weekend you've mentioned.  Holiday weekends, even Easter, always draw crowds to parks.

I'm glad you don't care about the water park, because it is always beyond packed.  I'm talking two hour wait for the lazy river and an hour wait for the wave pool (yeah, their wave pool has a queue line).

I'd go on a non-Holiday Sunday and budget for the skip-the-line if you need it.

I also gotta ask, where are you in NJ that Hershey Park is an 8 hour drive?

Hey I'm actually in Canada now :) So back to easter, which is april 17 this year.. if it's the only weekend that works for us, what's the park like in mid april? are they short staffed? are all the big rides open? i know skyrush shut down last year for a bit, is it back to normal? 

2 hours ago, bert425 said:

while not 100% sure on the different "scents" in the tunnel. . . . unless load/unload takes long enough it really dissipates?  I can see it muddling into just one "smell" in there.

but I love the idea, love the new paint, LOVE that it will have onboard soundtrack that's different for each "flavor"

and putting a Nebulaz right there between the signature flips in a Boomerang?    very inspired.

really like this.

I was thinking the same thing with the Nebulaz, that looks great

I guess scenting a ride tunnel was the next step after adding a chocolate scent to their bathrooms