TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

From what I've seen, the front of the park gets more crowded at the beginning of preview hours, and is least crowded just before. Useful both days.

On Lightning Racer, watch the other train, so fascinating. If you ride it like a normal coaster it's a bit forceless, but smooth. Wildcat was terribly rough a few years ago, not so much now, but a great layout either way IMO. 

14 hours ago, bill_s said:

From what I've seen, the front of the park gets more crowded at the beginning of preview hours, and is least crowded just before. Useful both days.

On Lightning Racer, watch the other train, so fascinating. If you ride it like a normal coaster it's a bit forceless, but smooth. Wildcat was terribly rough a few years ago, not so much now, but a great layout either way IMO. 

Rode Wildcat last week and it was running much better than I recall (even with the rain).  They only part that I felt was still very rough was the turn past the queue/station.  If they can this smoothed out I would definitely do multiple rides on this again.

10 hours ago, Stephen Hafke said:

Rode Wildcat last week and it was running much better than I recall (even with the rain).  They only part that I felt was still very rough was the turn past the queue/station.  If they can this smoothed out I would definitely do multiple rides on this again.

I rode it Memorial Weekend for the first time in a number of years and I was surprised by how it wasn't particularly rough. It jackhammered a bit in spots, but I was expecting much worse based on memory and reputation. With that said though, roughness is only one of its two sins. The other is that it is just... bad. I felt pretty much nothing on the ride. I don't know why anyone would get back on.

Wildcat needs to go or have RMC come in and fix it or maybe the titan track can address it. It was not a good ride at all during my trip earlier this year. I found Lightning Racer to be the much better GCI, but it isn't anywhere near an elite GCI, so I could see Hershey move away from it for a water park expansion. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coastercrazy216 said:

Does anyone know if Skyrush is still down after the lift hill issue at the beginning of the month? Or has it opened back up? 

Queue Times still shows it closed, so there's that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 2:30 AM, bert425 said:

you should have taken advantage of the Preview night (the evening before your full day) that's included with every ticket.

in 2 hours before closing in the evening before, you could have gotten rides on several of the big coasters.

Sorry for not responding, we was driving from the Columbus, Ohio area and didn't leave till around 1pm so we didn't have a chance to get there. We already talked about going back next year for 2 days after a concert to ride what we missed. I need a ride on SDL more than anything. It looked fun and so many on here have said it is a classic. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, Going to the park this Saturday evening (preview) and Sunday (whole day) for first time in like 9 years. A few questions:

1. Does Hershey keep lines open on rides until park close? Ie- if I want to ride Candymonium on Saturday evening, can I get in line at 6:50 or something before park close?

2. Does Hershey let evening preview folks in before the two hour mark? Like if I get there at 4:45, would they let us in? Just asking from folks experiences. I know it is 15 minutes but figured I would check.

3. Reasonable to think we could do all of the coasters between the day and change? Good strategy for the evening Saturday / AM Sunday?

Thanks!

Visited the park Saturday evening (preview) and Sunday (11-7). Overall, had a nice time and managed to get on all the coasters plus a few more rides. Here are my rankings on the coasters and musings on the park:

Storm Runner - man, what an intense ride. Just front to back AWESOME.

Great Bear - also reasonably intense, especially on the tail end. Unique layout, of course helps.

Fahrenheit - reasonably intense moments and a fun layout. Running well!

Candymonium - glass smooth and a pretty solid hyper!

Lightning Racer - running pretty well. Got a superb race the second lap we took which made the whole thing a bunch of fun.

Laff Track - just a blast! Solid addition.

Super Dooper Looper - it's a one trick pony. I'm happy it's around, but the trims for the back half really neuter the ride.

Comet - just meh. Runs smooth enough, but doesn't do much of anything.

Trailblazer - it's honestly a bit of a disappointing mine train but glad it's around!

Cocoa Cruiser - fine

Wild Mouse - okay

Sidewinder - not a fan, as usual.

Wildcat - just brutal and not a lot of fun

Thoughts on park in general:

• I recognize I was at a park on the weekend in the tail end of summer, but I think this park is getting a little too crowded for it's own good. Super super congested Saturday evening, especially at intersection to enter the hollow.
  • Feeding off of this, I realize staffing is at a premium, but it seems unacceptable for a park this size to be open 8 hours on the weekend. With as many coasters as they have and the crowds they draw, the park ought to be open 1-2 hours more, at the minimum. Especially for the ticket price. Just my opinion, is all!
  • Fast Track was a real bummer in some cases. Fahrenheit was loading 4 fast track and 6-8 standby (depending on if folks were in even groups, etc.). That means they were pushing through ~200 standby people / hour. Only 1,600 people could ride in a day. I realize the ride is low capacity, but fast track really sucked the fun out of a few of the lines we waited in. I would rather subsidize the $$ they make from fast track and not have it. Just my two cents. 
  • Overall, operattions were pretty good. Comet was rough, but that seemed to be the exception not the rule. Loose articles and compact areas in station make this tough. Some rides had gates open quickly, others would take forever.
  • Mobile ordering lunch worked out pretty well Would recommend, though options for it are still limited.
  • Don't rely on the HP app for lines. Waited 10 minutes for Sooper Dooper Looper and it suggested it was 120 minutes. Rarely updated.
  • Candymonium line filled most of the indoor quene and was about 45 minutes. Moved reasonably fast, but was still double-stacking.
  • The Zoo portion is.. okay.
  • New entrance area is functional, albeit a bit bland. I know they tried to throw some character into it (plaques on ground marking history, carousel, etc.) but it's not the most exciting area. It gets the job done.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh nice! Was thinking of stopping by Hershey when I visit some PA friends, prob end of this upcoming week would be wonderful if Skyrush is open. Least Runner is back up and I do need to try Candymonium again. I was pretty underwhelmed, even with moderate expectations, but my brother loved it and said front is where its at. Not usally where I ride but may have to try.

• 2 weeks later...

At the park today and can confirm yes, Skyrush is back up and running! Pretty much every coaster is except for Sidewinder.

Also, if you like Lightning Racer, you might wanna be careful. It's currently being swarmed by those invasive pests, the spotted lanternfly. The lift hill railings are completely covered in adult bugs, and I got smacked in the head by them a few times. It definitely turns the ride into even more of a participation sport than usual since you're gonna be dodging them left and right.

Was watching Halloween Wars and saw them advertising this...

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/shows/hersheys-after-dark

"Skilled pastry chefs enter the famed Hersheypark after dark and compete to create the most mind-bending chocolate showpieces in the new primetime series, Chocolate Meltdown: Hershey’s After Dark. The four-episode series, produced in partnership with Hershey’s, premieres Monday, September 27th at 10|9c and is hosted by Sunny Anderson, who challenges the brave and talented pastry artists to create some of the most incredible chocolate creations we've ever seen!

Working at breakneck speed with the help of just an assistant within Hershey’s largest candy store, Chocolate World, the competitors race against the clock as judges Ralph Attanasia and Maneet Chauhan keep a watchful eye to determine who was the most successful at molding chocolate and spinning sugar into works of art. The winner of each episode earns a year's supply of Hershey’s candy, a Hersheypark vacation and a cash prize.

In the premiere episode, a self-taught and gravity-defying cake artist quickly runs into problems, forcing them to adjust the design on the fly. Meanwhile, a sugar artist almost loses a battle against a 33-pound slab of dark chocolate, and a sculpting enthusiast uses enough Hershey’s candy to empty the whole store. Other episodes include the pastry chefs using Reese’s Pieces and Almond Joy candies to create a Scary Sci-Fi chocolate showpiece. And the competitors have their work cut out for them as they create Frightful Forest-themed chocolate displays incorporating Twizzlers Twists and York Peppermint Patties."

• 2 weeks later...

So word on the street is that there is a giant wooden fence all around SideWinder, and also that the park has started to repaint SDL a nice bright shade of white.

• Like 1