TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, prozach626 said:

I can't believe they went with B&M for their most recent addition.

All the pussies who can't handle Skyrush will be eternally grateful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2021 at 10:27 PM, YoshiFan said:

They give you a paper ticket when you enter the Chocolate World parking lot with the time on it. When you leave, you hand it to the employee at the exit booth and they take the ticket and then there is no charge if it is 3 hours or less.

Great. I see they have a store parking lot with its own entrance. Plan would be for no more than an hour.

At least, thats what the google satellite shows. Anyone know if the construction changed that?

Just got back from PA trip yesterday... visited Hershey on 7/2.

Just a couple of notes...
 - Why do they operate Candymonium with 3 trains? They cannot dispatch the trains fast enough and they are always stacked on the brake run.
 - Saw the Sky Rush train on the lift hill.  When we 1st saw this we thought it was the weather as it was raining at the time and at one point all the rides in the area were shut down... Comet, Great Bear, Coal Cracker, drop towers... Luckily we got to ride it in the morning.
 - Still sad after all this time with the mid course brakes on Comet and SDL.  These brake just take away from what used to be a fund 2nd half on these rides.
 - Storm Runner was a bit more intense than I remember but still fun.
 - Wildcat in the rain.  If the could fix the roughness on the long turn past the queue/station it would again be a ride I could do more than once.  This turn was by far the roughest part of the ride.
 - Lightning Racer... I just wish it was not so far back in the park.
 - Dispatch times on coasters have become horrible.  Over 2 minutes to dispatch Comet.  I can remember a time when they could consistently one train would leave the station as the other was arriving.  I think there are a number of reasons for this which could be discussed elsewhere.

I have been going to Hershey since the early 70s and overall this visit was about average.
We were not affected by the shortened hours (11-8) as we left by 6 to head home but with 8pm closing those nighttime coaster rides would be missed.  Food prices were much higher than expected.  We did take advantage of the souvenir cup with free refills for the day.  The cup pays for itself after 4 refills. 

8 hours ago, Stephen Hafke said:

Just got back from PA trip yesterday... visited Hershey on 7/2.

Just a couple of notes...
 - Why do they operate Candymonium with 3 trains? They cannot dispatch the trains fast enough and they are always stacked on the brake run.
 - Saw the Sky Rush train on the lift hill.  When we 1st saw this we thought it was the weather as it was raining at the time and at one point all the rides in the area were shut down... Comet, Great Bear, Coal Cracker, drop towers... Luckily we got to ride it in the morning.
 - Still sad after all this time with the mid course brakes on Comet and SDL.  These brake just take away from what used to be a fund 2nd half on these rides.
 - Storm Runner was a bit more intense than I remember but still fun.
 - Wildcat in the rain.  If the could fix the roughness on the long turn past the queue/station it would again be a ride I could do more than once.  This turn was by far the roughest part of the ride.
 - Lightning Racer... I just wish it was not so far back in the park.
 - Dispatch times on coasters have become horrible.  Over 2 minutes to dispatch Comet.  I can remember a time when they could consistently one train would leave the station as the other was arriving.  I think there are a number of reasons for this which could be discussed elsewhere.

I have been going to Hershey since the early 70s and overall this visit was about average.
We were not affected by the shortened hours (11-8) as we left by 6 to head home but with 8pm closing those nighttime coaster rides would be missed.  Food prices were much higher than expected.  We did take advantage of the souvenir cup with free refills for the day.  The cup pays for itself after 4 refills. 

The dispatches on Candymonium are not quick. I notice the same thing earlier this year. They ran 3 trains and basically didn't dispatch until the 3rd train was already around the course. The only time they were successful keeping them moving is if they had 2 certain ride ops checking restraints, they did better, but once one of them took a break or operate the control panel, the dispatches took forever. 

Dispatches on Candymonium might be quicker if customers were smarter or listened more closely.  People were repeatedly not using the seat belts and had to be reminded to buckle in before pulling down the restraint.

Every ride I've oped that has the "seatbelts first, lapbars second" is a disaster to operate, no one listens. We used to just hold the restraint unlock button until all the belts are secured. But this isn't possible on all rides, I wish more companies would use the type that can go on second like on the Premier spaghetti bowls or Copperhead Strike. Just seems smart as it's just a natural habit for most people to pull the lap bar first. People seem to leave their brains in the car. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disownedpear said:

Every ride I've oped that has the "seatbelts first, lapbars second" is a disaster to operate, no one listens. We used to just hold the restraint unlock button until all the belts are secured. But this isn't possible on all rides, I wish more companies would use the type that can go on second like on the Premier spaghetti bowls or Copperhead Strike. Just seems smart as it's just a natural habit for most people to pull the lap bar first. People seem to leave their brains in the car. 

It's worse with coasters whose seatbelts automatically retract back into its compartment when unbuckled. At least with coasters that have it just loosely laying on the seat, it's more likely to be paid attention to and fastened. But you're right, anyone who's worked in either amusements or retail knows that some people just have no common sense or lack the ability to follow clear instructions or prompts.

Hershey really needs to add more to their water park. A play structure should rarely have any wait to enter let alone a posted 90 minute wait and the water coaster has a posted 4 hour wait. Even their kiddie wave pool has a posted 30 minute wait.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, YoshiFan said:

Hershey really needs to add more to their water park. A play structure should rarely have any wait to enter let alone a posted 90 minute wait and the water coaster has a posted 4 hour wait. Even their kiddie wave pool has a posted 30 minute wait.

I've been saying this ever since I first experienced it in 2017.  No waterpark should ever have a 2 hour wait for the lazy river nor the existence of a queue line for the main wave pool.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 5:29 PM, Mike240SX said:

I've been saying this ever since I first experienced it in 2017.  No waterpark should ever have a 2 hour wait for the lazy river nor the existence of a queue line for the main wave pool.

To be fair, they DID add both the Breakers Edge water coaster and the Whitecap Racer tower since then.  

Planning a visit on August 14th/15th. Plan to do the evening preview Saturday night from 5-7. A few questions:

1. Can I expect to ride a few coasters Saturday evening? Or will crowds still be really rough?

2. Parking at Hershey World is free for 3 hours. Short walk to park from there, right?

3. Best strategy for first few hours Sunday? Need to get on Laff Track and Candymonium, also obviously want to ride just about every other coaster of interest. Any other tips?

1) as it gets later, the crowds will get lighter.   on Preview Night  I'd head to Farenheit and StornRunner and knock those out with the lighter crowds. . then, if you wanna ride them?  head to Laff Track and the Wild Mouse if you are so inclined. . both of those have hella slow lines, and are brutal during regular hours.  but if you hit them int he last hour of operations, most of the kiddos have been taken home, and the lines are shorter.

2) dont' park in the chocolate world lot.  
the parking you pay for Preview Night is good the next day for your full day too. . so just pay and park in the regular lot  (then kill time in Chocolate world and ride the dark ride, until you can enter for preview night).

3) as mentioned in #1 above. . try to get Laff Track during preview night, end of night. .it likely will be the shortest line for it you'll see.  

dont' skip Coal Cracker. .it's a flume with an airtime hill after the final drop, and it's great.     If you need a refresher, wander over to zoo America (included with your ticket - entrance is over by Kissing Tower) for a nice, small, zoo that's included.    The monorail is also a nice - get off your feet - ride.

have fun.

On a Saturday night it will still be VERY busy, but I'm sure you'll be able to knock a few things out.  Depending on what you care about credit wise, first thing in the morning I would hit up Storm Runner or Fahrenheit if they're running as they're more temperamental.  Also, keep in mind that a lot of the stuff up front will already have lines cause it opens early for Sweet Start for Hershey hotel guests and others. 

On 7/5/2021 at 11:47 AM, SharkTums said:

^I assume we'll see Lightning Racer go away at some point as that rarely gets a line and is in prime water park expansion area!

I hope not! Lightning Racer is one of the best rides there. Take Wildcat, no one will miss it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

I hope not! Lightning Racer is one of the best rides there. Take Wildcat, no one will miss it.

I actually sorta would.  The last time I got on Wildcat, it was running better than I've ever heard it given credit for, not even what I'd call rough at all, and I genuinely really liked it.  I guess that makes one of us.

• Like 2