TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Just getting to this news now, and it didn't disappoint. While I agree the old entrance is charming, the park clearly outgrew its size years ago and I, like Robb, tend to only get to the park late (for the preview time) or right at park opening, before crowds get out of control as a result. Can't wait to see it for myself in 2020!

While I agree the old entrance is charming, the park clearly outgrew its size years ago and I, like Robb, tend to only get to the park late (for the preview time) or right at park opening, before crowds get out of control as a result.

Bingo. Hersheypark has become so much more than a "typical" regional park. You look at the TEA attendance report, it's the only park in the North American top 20 that ISN'T under the umbrella of a huge chain.

While I love the current park entrance for its charm it can definitely cause bottlenecking and issues. So, bring on the new front gate! While I'm an Intamin fan all the way I do enjoy a nice floater B&M ride so am pleased to see that, or something like that, as in the works for 2020.

Eh. Throw me into the pussies group on this one. I got bit by a massive German Shepherd police K-9 on the thigh during an arrest last night. It broke the skin and all. No sh*t, it actually happened. Hopefully for the first and last time. That was still less uncomfortable than riding Skyrush on the front row left wing. Even despite the softball size purple bruise on my thigh. Lucky for the K-9 incident I don't have any soft meat on my thighs. Unlucky for Skyrush, I don't have any soft meat on my thighs. Pain and pleasure don't mix, for me.

Working dog sport handler here, sorry about your misfortune! Did the dog redirect accidentally or what happened? Getting bit sucks although Shepherds usually have less hectic grips than those out of control Malinois so many departments are switching to. The breed alone here might have truthfully saved your leg from getting completely shredded. Welcome to the Bite Club. Take it easy while you recover!!

So after checking out the announcement today of chocolate town and the new hyper coaster at Hershey Park, I was a little let down there was no POV.

I saw that there would be more info coming next summer, but with the few pictures they gave us I made a no limits 2 recreation. Now I think the layout is 95% correct, with the only unsure part the turnaround. I feel like it might be more like mako.

But check out the POV Below !

I hope you enjoy, it looks like it’ll be a fantastic coaster!

Here’s some announcement pictures from the media kit!

C448167A-BE6E-43E3-90EB-82A7204518BA.jpeg.77c28f82e4fe0bff8c470f5c080e2317.jpeg

Turnaround over the fountain

40411CA3-A4ED-42F1-BA47-C8401D339825.jpeg.cd3191e20d3118ba168f84ff9d301582.jpeg

The station and lift

2A89F9AD-99D1-4478-BE50-34730A72DD0E.jpeg.06356e0328ab206ca0c490e7c7e6a112.jpeg

New entrance over view

Awesome announcement by one of my favorite parks! I wasn't sure if I could make it back next year and take my kids, but now I'll just backburner that, and look forward to enjoying this amazing new addition the following year! I love the look of the new entryway and plaza, and having it not be so far back from the parking lot down that path will be an improvement as well, in my opinion.

I look forward to learning more about the new coaster, and I would love for it to be a Giga, instead of a Hyper, as the world always could use more B&M Gigas! Regardless though, even if it's a Hyper, it'll be a fun addition! I'll be honest... SkyRush being a Hyper is almost lost on me, because the coaster just seems like another beast altogether. It certainly rides WAY differently than a B&M Hyper, and will therefore retain a unique experience. I personally LOVE B&M Hypers, and don't consider them for the weak, or pussies, and I'm sure this will deliver plenty of airtime! But it'll be the long, out of your seat, floating kind (which I find exhilarating!), contrasting it with the violent, malevolent, thigh assaulting kind on Skyrush. So there shouldn't be much ride confusion between the two. Also, while they will be in a similar part of the park, the entrances won't actually be too close to each other.

At any rate, another FANTASTIC addition by this phenomenal park, and I look forward to seeing it all come together over the next year-plus!

So one question I have. Unless I am mistaken, It appears as though the restaurant, ice cream parlor, and retail shop will be accessible from both inside and outside the park. How will they handle this?

I highly doubt they would do that.

Agreed, Bobby. This felt largely like a way to counter the fact that the Chocolate World experience is outside of the park. It always felt like a huge loss on the concession-side for the park the the most immersive part of the Hershey chocolate experience was outside of the park AND there was nothing really inside the park that was as comparable.

Raise your hand if you've skipped the park to go Chocolate World more times than you've actually gone to Hershey Park?

This is pretty exciting. All the stuff in this new entrance area sounds the same as the existing stuff. They already have a Starbucks, merch shop, and full service restaurant outside the gates. But the entrance area really is too small for this park, and having bigger versions of everything will really help out. Plus, B&M hypers are fun, and if it helps spread out the crowds for lower wait times on Skyrush, I'm all for it.

With this, Legoland, and American Dream...NYC/PA trip is gonna have to happen.

There's no Starbucks currently. There's a Dunkin'.

So one question I have. Unless I am mistaken, It appears as though the restaurant, ice cream parlor, and retail shop will be accessible from both inside and outside the park. How will they handle this?

I highly doubt they would do that.

Agreed, Bobby. This felt largely like a way to counter the fact that the Chocolate World experience is outside of the park. It always felt like a huge loss on the concession-side for the park the the most immersive part of the Hershey chocolate experience was outside of the park AND there was nothing really inside the park that was as comparable.

I don't understand. People keep saying things like this as though there never was a restaurant, snack locations, or a shop outside the park, but hasn't there ALWAYS been a restaurant, snack locations, and a shop in that front area entrance that you have to pass by on the way to Chocolate World?

I swear I thought I remembered going into a shop or two there and I'm SURE there is at least one restaurant.

1500104339_ScreenShot2018-10-04at11_59_43AM.thumb.png.2abb1a5767e8c0f2d25650e62ee08415.png

170980465_ScreenShot2018-10-04at12_00_04PM.thumb.png.57f42bec973dc653f9ed05f5b82e6330.png

1424745622_ScreenShot2018-10-04at12_00_48PM.thumb.png.94b4fe14fe57d39285c7c61bb15d5824.png

Isn't this stuff already outside of the park and part of "Hersheypark" and not "Chocolate World?"

It's not as though this new front entrance area is going to introduce things like a restaurant, shops and snack locations that are a new concept for Hersheypark, these things have ALWAYS been there, right?

Edited by robbalvey

Robb you are correct. The Tudor Grill is now known as Hersheypark Place and hosts character meals. There are at least 2 gift shops outside the gate as well as a Dunkin'. I also think that this new complex will be accessible from both inside and outside the park. There are systems that can handle that situation.

Robb you are correct. The Tudor Grill is now known as Hersheypark Place and hosts character meals. There are at least 2 gift shops outside the gate as well as a Dunkin'. I also think that this new complex will be accessible from both inside and outside the park. There are systems that can handle that situation.

Thank you. That's what I had thought. While I love the whole idea of this new entrance area as I absoultely HATE what is currently there now, I think people are seeing this announcement and going "Oh, man... it will be GREAT that Hersheypark will now have restaurants, shops, and snack locations OUTSIDE of the park! WOW! What a great idea!!!"

But these things have ALWAYS been there. At least in the 20-something years I've been going to the park. They aren't new, they are just getting a much, MUCH needed rebuild & update!

Edited by robbalvey

I'm 40 something and have been going to the park since I was 2. That front plaza has been like that since I can remember. Complete with restaurant and stores. I don't get all the hoopla over these "new" things either. They've been there. I am excited to see the park grow and expand. It's long overdue.

^The one thing I give the current front entrance is that I feel it is very visually pleasing... the architecture, the winding path, the large trees, the landscaping... though one can really only appreciate that if you are getting there in the middle of the day or otherwise at a time when there are minimal people in that area. If you get there at opening, it's just a crowded mess that causes frustration from people constantly pushing forward on the downhill slope to the entrance, strollers and wheel chairs trying to cut across the mob to get to the poorly designated single entrance where those can fit, and otherwise mass confusion. The current entrance way was never designed to handle the crowds that the park currently gets. The new entrance way (though it may lack some of the charm), will be much better designed to handle the crowds the park gets.

I feel like BGW suffers from much the same issue (beautifully charming entrance way into the park, but poorly designed for the current crowd levels).

This is pretty exciting. All the stuff in this new entrance area sounds the same as the existing stuff. They already have a Starbucks, merch shop, and full service restaurant outside the gates. But the entrance area really is too small for this park, and having bigger versions of everything will really help out. Plus, B&M hypers are fun, and if it helps spread out the crowds for lower wait times on Skyrush, I'm all for it.

With this, Legoland, and American Dream...NYC/PA trip is gonna have to happen.

There's no Starbucks currently. There's a Dunkin'.

Ok cool. I remembered getting a coffee before entering the park.

First and foremost, this expansion looks dope. I’m definitely in the “the current entrance is cool and quaint but it doesn’t work for a park this large” group.

Another interesting thing for me as a local, and something that’s become increasingly interesting over the years, is the Hershey/Dorney dichotomy. In the late 90’s I would say they were fairly similar in stature; you could even give Dorney the edge because Hershey didn’t have a waterpark at the time, but it’s crazy to see the different routes each has taken. Hershey has emerged into a destination park with a roller coaster collection that stacks up with the best in the country, and Dorney has remained relatively stagnant and has been relegated to a local, sort-of-regional-but-not-really park that I would imagine most enthusiasts/park goers are ambivalent about.